Week 7 - E(l)ks @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

Who: E(l)ks 0-6 @ Blue Bombers 4-2
What: Four Quarters of Football 🤞
When: 7:30 Central
Where: IG Field
Why: FOOTBALL!!!

It's whiteout night, so please wear white!

72d685a4-5e74-4e6f-84a2-1af55cf4f20d.jpg

We're wearing white, so should you!

Join us on July 20th for our annual WEAR WHITE! game.
Pre-game festivities start early as we have a lot of fun events planned:

• Experience South Asian Heritage Night featuring DJ Heer in the Princess Auto tailgate area starting at 5:30 PM
  • Catch special pop-up performances from South Asian dance & drum groups at Gates 1 and 3
  • Enjoy game day special concessions: Elk Burgers available at Goal Line (section 112) and Poutinerie (section 134)
  • Watch your Blue Bombers take on the Elks!

LFG! 

F1aT5aSWwAEgZdS?format=jpg&name=large

F1ag9VkWAB0x1Dm?format=jpg&name=medium

We are going to know what kind of game this will be early in the contest.

If we come out early, control the line of scrimmage, we win handily.  If we struggle to establish a physical presence early .. if we aren't moving people off the ball or aren't able to get to / contain Corny this may be a long night.

New look for Bombers defence

Practice shirt emphasizes committment to hard work

By: Taylor AllenPosted: 5:24 PM CDT Wednesday, Jul. 19, 2023

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers defence sported a different look Wednesday.

Instead of their traditional practice uniforms, defenders took the field for walk-through in button-up work shirts typically worn by individuals in the automotive industry.

Players’ names were printed in a circle on the right chest, while a logo that read B2W (which stood for back to work) was on the left.

Defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall came up with the idea.

“Every year Richie has a theme that we kind of rock with. Like last year, it was toolbox. So, everyone had a toolbox, some tools, and stuff like that,” said linebacker Adam Bighill.

“It’s just something to unite everybody in a common thought. The idea is when we step in this building and step on this field, it’s all about work. It’s just always reminding ourselves, ‘This is what we do, why we do it, and who we do it for.’”

The defence will also have a different look for Thursday’s tilt with the visiting Edmonton Elks as linebacker Les Maruo and dimeback Redha Kramdi have been inserted into the starting lineup.

Malik Clements was felled by an injury in last week’s overtime loss in Ottawa, so in steps Maruo, a third-year player who was selected fourth overall in the 2021 CFL Global Draft.

This will be Maruo’s first career start.

The 27-year-old was born in Japan before moving to Wichita, Kan., at a young age. In the CFL off-season, he returns to Japan to play in their professional football circuit — the X-League.

“It’s a big blessing, and just to represent Japan, and Global players also, because there’s only one roster spot for Global players and there’s so many guys trying to get to the CFL. So, just being able to represent the Global side of things is a huge blessing,” said Maruo.

“Finally getting to start, it means a lot to me.”

After taking over for Clements last week, Maruo — who played at the University of Texas-San Antonio before starting out at Hutchinson Community College — took down Redblacks quarterback Dustin Crum for a sack in the fourth quarter.

“Les is an explosive guy. He’s got a ton of skill and he’s got a ton of weapons, but he really just hasn’t had a ton of opportunities to show it,” said Bighill. “He gets in for a few reps and plays his part, but you see him make plays. He’s consistently and continually learning, but playing really well. His physical attributes are very, very, very good.”

Kramdi, a 26-year-old from Montreal who was selected in the second round of the 2021 CFL Draft, had the starting gig at his fingertips a few weeks ago when veteran Alden Darby, Jr. was benched in Week 3’s embarrassing 30-6 loss at IG Field against the B.C. Lions. Kramdi finished the game, but picked up an injury that knocked him out for the next three weeks.

Now that he’s healthy, the Bombers are trusting Kramdi with the job. He got his first start last season in October in a game against the Elks.

“(Darby) is like a big cousin. He’s always making sure I’m good on the field, off the field. If I make a play on the field, throughout the whole camp and even last year, he’s the first one to be excited or point it out in a meeting or try to give me tips so we have a great relationship,” said Kramdi.

”I don’t really see it as me starting over a veteran American guy. I just see it as me having a good camp and them taking a chance on me.”

The Bombers offensive line hasn’t looked itself this season, and Saturday’s defeat at the hands of Ottawa was another tough outing for the group.

Despite getting sacked at a higher rate than usual, quarterback Zach Collaros doesn’t agree with the criticism being thrown at his blockers.

“Those guys are unbelievable. Those are my guys. They’re the best group I’ve ever played behind. Things happen in games. Sometimes the average viewer can’t account for what’s happening,” said Collaros.

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @TaylorAllen31

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The Bombers offensive line hasn’t looked itself this season, and Saturday’s defeat at the hands of Ottawa was another tough outing for the group.

Despite getting sacked at a higher rate than usual, quarterback Zach Collaros doesn’t agree with the criticism being thrown at his blockers.

“Those guys are unbelievable. Those are my guys. They’re the best group I’ve ever played behind. Things happen in games. Sometimes the average viewer can’t account for what’s happening,”

Good thing we have people here to explain to us why Zach is a LIAR 😄 God knows I can't tell what's going on when I'm not too busy pissing and snacking

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Good thing we have people here to explain to us why Zach is a LIAR 😄 God knows I can't tell what's going on when I'm not too busy pissing and snacking

Take away the pass protection aspect which could be the result of several things. The run blocking looked like dog **** last game. 

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

My teeth will not be gnashed tonight.

52-9 Bombers.

walby bonfire pregame mentioned elk secondary has four rookies and one guy in second year.

also.... mentioned 11 minute grinding drive v als.

13 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yeah,  but the  people we have here arent Average. /s

Edited by Mark F

I love a Blue Bomber gameday more than anything in the world. It's a burst of excitement that fills me up with delight, a thrilling Red River Ex carnival ride that rarely disappoints and keeps you on your toes, and a community celebration that brings friends and family together. Gameday is my vice, my fix, my favorite day of the week. I can't wait until kick off this evening. Go Blue! 

We're playing the Elks folks. Expectation should be a big win. 

I don't like our front 7, but I expect a big win. 

I think we should change out either Grey or Neuf, but I expect a big win. 

I don't like our roster management, but I expect a big win.

Elks haven't won this year, so I expect a big win. 

We're playing the freakin Elks, so I expect a big win.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

It's a day that ends in "day", so I expect a big win.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

To be fair, Zach said the same thing about Darvin Adams in an off season....Adams wasn't re-signed because it was obvious he wasn't the same wr anymore. Zach is a true leader, and that means he will never throw anyone under the bus.

56 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Hell must be freezing over TBurgess is the voice of reason.