Week 7 - E(l)ks @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/25/cfl-honour-roll-week-7-collaros-leonard-bombers-o-line-make-the-grade/

Zach Collaros ... and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ offensive line have made the grade for Week 7 in the Canadian Football League (CFL) Honour Roll powered by Pro Football Focus (PFF).

CFL HONOUR ROLL – WEEK 7: OFFENCE

QB | Zach Collaros | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | WPG 28 – EDM 14

• PFF Player Grade: 84.6
  • 20-of-24 passing (season-high 83.3 per cent) for 308 yards and two touchdowns
  • Two passes for 30+ yards, including a personal season’s best 70-yard effort to Nic Demski for a touchdown in the third quarter
  • 129.2 efficiency rating

CFL HONOUR ROLL – WEEK 7: OFFENSIVE LINE

Winnipeg Blue Bombers | WPG 28 – EDM 14

CFL HONOUR ROLL: ALL-WEEK 7

Granted it was against the hands-down worst team in the league, but it's nice to see Zach, Brady, and the OL grading out well compared to other teams.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

See and watching even just the highlight pack I thought Dobson had some issues. The int for example he was pushed right into collaros' lap as the throw was going out.

Yes he looked suspect to me as well but they did take over in the 4th and he was a part of it. First game gelling, I am optimistic he can bring more in the long run

there was a play where Dobson was SO LOST that Stan was handling his man with his left hand, and with his right hand, grabbed Dobson and shoved him in the right direction because he was so completely lost and going the wrong way. Rookie errors, big time. And as mentioned, Koala was getting blown up often, and twice got nailed for holding because he was turnstiled and needed to grab just so Zach wouldn't get destroyed. In short, I do not understand these stats/grades. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there was a play where Dobson was SO LOST that Stan was handling his man with his left hand, and with his right hand, grabbed Dobson and shoved him in the right direction because he was so completely lost and going the wrong way. Rookie errors, big time. And as mentioned, Koala was getting blown up often, and twice got nailed for holding because he was turnstiled and needed to grab just so Zach wouldn't get destroyed. In short, I do not understand these stats/grades. 

I believe the second holding flag was declined and inconsequential so I don't know how that impacts the grades but that is puzzling. It looks to me like the pressure is coming from everyone on the OL, not just the interior. I've watched a second time, focusing on the OL and trying to see what everyone else is seeing, and he just doesn't look as bad as I am being led to believe. The whole OL had struggles and got better as the game went on. I think that's typical and actually a sign that things are ultimately working... pound the ball, wear down the D, take control late and don't give it back. We aren't fully there yet but it feels close to me

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

I believe the second holding flag was declined and inconsequential so I don't know how that impacts the grades but that is puzzling. It looks to me like the pressure is coming from everyone on the OL, not just the interior. I've watched a second time, focusing on the OL and trying to see what everyone else is seeing, and he just doesn't look as bad as I am being led to believe. The whole OL had struggles and got better as the game went on. I think that's typical and actually a sign that things are ultimately working... pound the ball, wear down the D, take control late and don't give it back. We aren't fully there yet but it feels close to me

Rewatch the 2nd down play in OT against Ottawa, critical breakdown between Kona and Neufeld led to Zach getting sacked and put the game on the line.

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Rewatch the 2nd down play in OT against Ottawa, critical breakdown between Kona and Neufeld led to Zach getting sacked and put the game on the line.

Yes I'm sure you're right,  a good example of a bad play in a game we lost. I'm certainly not suggesting he's been perfect or even great, only that he's not caving in constantly and being blown up all the time like it's been suggested. He's been beat, sure. So has perennial all-star and among the greatest OL of all time Stanley Bryant. So has Neufeld. So has Yoshi. Gray is now riding the pine. Maybe Eli doesn't make the same mistakes, maybe he doesn't draw flags and calls perfect protection schemes, maybe we'll even find out soon... whatever makes us a better team I'm all for it. Though, if I were a betting man I'd say Kola holds onto his starting  spot out of the bye, same way I said he'd hold onto his starting position in the off-season  and throughout camp. Is it the right call? Who can really say, other than we're 5-2 and near the top of the league in offense, our starting QB and RB are class of the league and that they don't do it all on their own

55 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yes I'm sure you're right,  a good example of a bad play in a game we lost. I'm certainly not suggesting he's been perfect or even great, only that he's not caving in constantly and being blown up all the time like it's been suggested. He's been beat, sure. So has perennial all-star and among the greatest OL of all time Stanley Bryant. So has Neufeld. So has Yoshi. Gray is now riding the pine. Maybe Eli doesn't make the same mistakes, maybe he doesn't draw flags and calls perfect protection schemes, maybe we'll even find out soon... whatever makes us a better team I'm all for it. Though, if I were a betting man I'd say Kola holds onto his starting  spot out of the bye, same way I said he'd hold onto his starting position in the off-season  and throughout camp. Is it the right call? Who can really say, other than we're 5-2 and near the top of the league in offense, our starting QB and RB are class of the league and that they don't do it all on their own

he's getting pushed around...and back into the pocket a lot....and as mentioned he is fine with 50blocks....but a lot of time after that is lost, or misses his man....also being undersized as he is...doesnt help him with covering deficiencies 

21 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yes he looked suspect to me as well but they did take over in the 4th and he was a part of it. First game gelling, I am optimistic he can bring more in the long run

For sure. Unrealistic to expect him to be an allstar in his first real meaningful playing time on the OL.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

There will be OL break downs on every OL throughout the game on every team in every team. Perfection is not possible. Guys, especially in the interior, will get beat from time to time. Especially when you got a guy like Ceresna sitting across from you.

17 hours ago, Booch said:

he's getting pushed around...and back into the pocket a lot....and as mentioned he is fine with 50blocks....but a lot of time after that is lost, or misses his man....also being undersized as he is...doesnt help him with covering deficiencies 

A matter of getting Eli back into the full swing of things I think. Bombers are taking their time with him so that when he does come in there are no hiccups. I don't mind the approach. No use setting up Eli as a whipping boy because we rushed him in.

Just now, GCn20 said:

A matter of getting Eli back into the full swing of things I think. Bombers are taking their time with him so that when he does come in there are no hiccups. I don't mind the approach. No use setting up Eli as a whipping boy because we rushed him in.

dare we say...eased in....lol

But agree, they doing it the right way, and we will have a future re-occurring all-star there if he stays healthy

2 hours ago, Booch said:

dare we say...eased in....lol

But agree, they doing it the right way, and we will have a future re-occurring all-star there if he stays healthy

I think the potential is certainly there for sure. Look around the league and the centre position is not awe-inspiring.