Blue Bombers vs. Gappers Week 2 GDT

Geebrr

2 hours ago, Booch said:

expect....and what actually happens...based on the inner workings of Osheas mind sometimes is polar opposites...we shall see tho...Maybe we just go with 6 recievers 90 percent of time and dare teams to stop it hahaha

If Lawler was here that is exactly what I would do. If you need to mix it up let Demski line up as RB pre-snap and have routes for him out of the backfield and occasionally give him the biscuit as a RB to keep the defence honest.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

If Lawler was here that is exactly what I would do. If you need to mix it up let Demski line up as RB pre-snap and have routes for him out of the backfield and occasionally give him the biscuit as a RB to keep the defence honest.

If any thing I’d go 6ol more than 6 wr. Put Dobson beside collaros in the gun lol. Imagine a pass rushers face coming off the edge. 

48 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If any thing I’d go 6ol more than 6 wr. Put Dobson beside collaros in the gun lol. Imagine a pass rushers face coming off the edge. 

In 02 or 03, with Mike sellers being such a force as a backfield blocker I remember Edmonton would line up an OL in the backfield to play fullback just to emulate the kind of blocking sellers gave the Bombers.

So basically its opinion that Augustine isn't great and despite evidence of whenever even if its only limited amount of times he carries the ball that he gains yards... this still doesn't count?  So do we ignore the times Brady gets stuffed after 1 - 2 yards?   I think people are looking for reasons to complain.   Yes I'm sure Augustine who looks to be chiseled out of granite can't grind a few yards.  If he was so bad then why has he stayed on the team for 5 years in a row? 

It reminds me of during the pre season where people were worshipping Piggy and then because on one sneak in the regular season game where it didn't turn out good and instantly people flip on him and pretend that they weren't saying he was the next greatest thing only a few weeks before.  Hilarious stuff on these boards. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

So basically its opinion that Augustine isn't great and despite evidence of whenever even if its only limited amount of times he carries the ball that he gains yards... this still doesn't count?  So do we ignore the times Brady gets stuffed after 1 - 2 yards?   I think people are looking for reasons to complain.   Yes I'm sure Augustine who looks to be chiseled out of granite can't grind a few yards.  If he was so bad then why has he stayed on the team for 5 years in a row? 

It reminds me of during the pre season where people were worshipping Piggy and then because on one sneak in the regular season game where it didn't turn out good and instantly people flip on him and pretend that they weren't saying he was the next greatest thing only a few weeks before.  Hilarious stuff on these boards. 

I think the issue is the downgrade in pass pro we get with Johnny A back there.

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It’s hilarious that you use piggy and this tc as an example and say all he does is gain yards, when Augustine was hot garbage in both games this pre season. 

Augustine is what he is. He's a guy that doesn't grind out yards. He's much more of an explosion player. I like consistent running backs more. I mean He's stayed here for 5 years cause we need depth at NI running back but there's a reason he bounced around and never stuck before coming here and why he doesn't get work unless Brady is out.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

No, moreso what it is is that you don’t really understand what you’re presenting as evidence.

The reason Augustine shows such a high YPC is because he’s typically been deployed as a guy who gets the “high risk” carries that are going to be home run swings. He’s put out there in positions where he’s either going to bust a chunk play or he’s not, not being asked to grind the hard yards between the tackles as a chain mover. In his two most productive seasons with us, 20-25% of his yardage came on one carry. The evidence you’re using would be the same evidence you’d use to suggest Demski would be an impact RB for us if deployed as such, which is interesting if we call back to the fact that when we HAVE needed to run between the tackles without Brady, those touches actually have strayed away from JA and towards Demski in past years.

JA isn’t a bellcow. That’s not a bad thing. He’s just not. I’ll use NFL stats because CFL stats don’t exist anymore - look at the top RBs in YPC last year … not many (arguably any) three down backs in the bunch because that figure is always inflated for the guys who are asked to run almost exclusively off tackle, see low usage or both. 

But sure, go off with your box scores. Tell me how JA did running between the tackles in the preseason. Spoilers: it was not good

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Augustine is what he is. He's a guy that doesn't grind out yards. He's much more of an explosion player. I like consistent running backs more. I mean He's stayed here for 5 years cause we need depth at NI running back but there's a reason he bounced around and never stuck before coming here and why he doesn't get work unless Brady is out.

Reminds me of a Canadian Fred Reid. I agree with you though. He's the explosive type of runner.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Auggie is an excellent NAT change of pace backup. It is my opinion that is his best implementation, and he would not be able to carry the mail on a FT basis. I will stand by that and it has always been my opinion. I am not a fan of slash style runners, they are too boom or bust to sustain drives.

9 hours ago, CodyT said:

Reminds me of a Canadian Fred Reid. I agree with you though. He's the explosive type of runner.

Good comparison.  I can totally see Augustine rushing for 200 yards in a game sandwiched between two 50 yard efforts.

9 hours ago, CodyT said:

If he was Fred Reid every game I would be thrilled. He can be Fast Freddie occasionally, but at times disappears as well.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If he was Fred Reid every game I would be thrilled. He can be Fast Freddie occasionally, but at times disappears as well.

To be fair, we don't really know what he is. He hasn't gotten much playing time. He does show flashes of being a good player 

Rider fans....coaching...media are sure going all gaga on their moral victory....the articles and comments on it are quite cute and amusing thinking they have turned this corner...I guess a good possible one off game will do that to un uneducated fan base and media horde.....They should have not beaten the Elks, and their QB tosses up 400 yards against us...when we played arguably one of our poorer games on defence, yet they lost by 3 scores...at home....failing to realize that we had a DT in on defense who literally had 1 real practice...a DE who has been here for 3 minutes, and we are missing our other starting DE...WIL...HB and Corner...Top special team player, and Lawler....they bemoan their injuries, but missing Walker and Marshall is hardly a detriment, Moncreif has been owned by Demski/Schoen and ZC and other than that...what else they missing?....not much of any concern to be honest

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's Harris' MO to throw 400 yards and still lose the game. He can't win. That's why he slides down the pecking order of good teams. From Ottawa (playoffs, GC) to Edmonton (smelly), Montreal, (smellier) and the Riders (smelliest). 

all stats....minimal success...and at 37 going on 38....won't be discovering it now...and his career win/loss....what is it...below .500?

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

all stats....minimal success...and at 37 going on 38....won't be discovering it now...and his career win/loss....what is it...below .500?

Yeah I don’t really see it here the optimism comes from. It’s painfully obviously the riders aren’t good enough, and Harris is a stop gap quarterback. Sure he could put up some yards in a 20 point loss but this is who he is. He won’t be a guy that can move the needle, and his game can’t make up the fact that the Riders just don’t have the players to compete for a championship. If you’re satisfied with 7-9 wins then he’s your guy. 

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Yeah I don’t really see it here the optimism comes from. It’s painfully obviously the riders aren’t good enough, and Harris is a stop gap quarterback. Sure he could put up some yards in a 20 point loss but this is who he is. He won’t be a guy that can move the needle, and his game can’t make up the fact that the Riders just don’t have the players to compete for a championship. If you’re satisfied with 7-9 wins then he’s your guy. 

yup...He's the CFL definition of mediocrity,...and not a guy at his juncture to build the team around for the future...he is gonna be their guy....wallowing around in mediocrity, as they don't develop anyone else...then be doing this same dance in a yr or 2

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Anytime we come to town its their Grey Cup. That is the best theyre going to play all season and it wasnt good enough.

Yup...they came out....with all they had...and alas...just as it's been the last few yrs....just not good enough....Fun to watch their glee and excitement...boasting about we have turned the corner...only to watch by labour day the pitch forks coming out...and the blame game running rampant again...shoulda..woulda...coulda babble

They played pretty good, they made it a game for a bit. We were just a bit better and pulled away when all the chips were down. Sask. looked better than they did in the past. In that sense they should be happy.

Harriss is a good QB, but ours is better and although he put up some great stats IMO Zach was still the better QB that game

Looking across the league 

VA has looked pretty good, but history tells us he is a very emotional and that get's the best of him and he suffers through wild ups and downs, very interested to see how he looks this Thursday

Corny has looked unfortunately bad this year

Mair got some stats late last week but has looked mostly bad to be honest

Arbuckle has been a disaster

Bo has played the worst that he ever has in his entire professional career the last two weeks and is now injured again to boot

Fajardo looked competent in Mtrl. but I can't see him lasting getting hit so much...can it all be o-line or does the responsibility start to fall on him....

Kelly started hot and used his legs well, but we have seen this playbook before once teams get film/tendencies he probably won't get away with that

So really outside of Zach only three guys have looked good VAJ, Kelly and Harriss and out of the three one could argue Harriss has looked the best. Other teams need some positives too it can't just be all Bombers or it would get boring... 

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

Man...reviewing some plays from Rider game...damn shame WJ got that pass knock down late in 3rd quarter as Houston was coming up to jump it for an easy pick 6...damn

Love that he got a penalty for illegal participation playing without a helmet. 
 No penalty on the Gappers for being the reason the helmet came off.