2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

Harris is the most complete back I've ever witnessed in the CFL and does the little things so well. He finds holes and is patient when they are developing, always falls forward to get the extra yards, a great leader on the team, an excellent blocker and you always see him talking to guys and getting them in the right positions. I noticed a big dip in all these intangibles when he was out of the lineup. He's not as fast as BO or JA, but I think this year he would still be a better RB.

I would love if he would come back with a few less touches and really try to help BO and JA gain some of the intangibles that he has. I'm not sure it would destroy the locker room - O'Shea is amazing at building that up, but I'm sure some players would get a hit of reality that careers are short and business means that sometimes a team turns their back on you, regardless of how tight knit the room is.

I know Harris was a big fan of Charles Roberts growing up. Hope he is thinking about how his career ended and our organization keeps that in mind too. Roberts wasn't half the team guy Harris is which would probably sting both sides even more if it ends the same way.

All that said, I can totally understand the team not wanting to pay him the amount he has been getting.

Yup...he is way more than just a ball carrier...and his recognition of things on field is invaluable...and I fear puts ZC at more risk game in and game out

I'd still like to see him morphed into a hybrid slot/te Drury type...allowing the young guys to get experience with AH still on field with them in certain sets

Read the whole Hamilton article. A bit of fear mongering in it. Like a move away from Harris, despite all the logical points involving cost, age, and injury, would be a PR disaster and spell possible doom for the team. 

Just imagine his first press conference, complaining about Winnipeg’s unwillingness to make room for him, while dressed in Riders green. Imagine trying to stop a revitalized Andrew Harris with a giant chip on his shoulder.

The Bombers have built up plenty of good will over the years – winning will do that. But it seems unwise to test that by saying goodbye to, unquestionably, one of the most popular players in team history.

Simply put, Harris is quite likely the only player capable of defeating the Bombers in the court of public opinion. For it to even get to that point would be a big mistake. The good news is there are some options that could still be in play.

Maybe club president and CEO Wade Miller decides to step in. If there’s anything Miller cares most about, it’s the financial health of the team. Bottom line: Harris puts butts in seats, and no jersey is more prominent at home games than his No. 33.

Or, perhaps, Walters and O’Shea come to their senses and a deal gets done.”

Hey, if he is so wanted by all of his teammates that they have voiced their displeasure with the club, then surely they would all be more than willing to take a pay cut to pay him his salary. 0.25% per player would do it. Who wants to ask Adam Bighill, who forfeited 60% of his salary to help the team through the pandemic year, and left another $65,000 minimum on the table this year, to hand over more of his salary so Andrew doesn’t get his nose out of joint. Or if Harris is such a consummate team leader, maybe he follows Bighill’s lead and reduces his ask in the spirit of team harmony. 

This isn’t show friends, it is show business, and Harris is asking a lot for a 35 year old coming off a knee and ankle injury who missed half the (already shortened) season and skipped the vast majority of practice while his teammates went through the daily grind. If he wants to still play and another team wants to sign him, I wish him all the best and thank him for his service. But his money is much better spent on replacing a suddenly much thinner receiving corps, a more stable kicking option, and run stoppers on the d-line. Or trade Oliviera and ride Harris for another year for a short term Grey Cup defence, knowing it will harm them in the longer term. Which approach do folks around here want?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Andrew Harris is important to the locker room if he comes back but predicting the doom of our culture or other players being disgruntled by it is a massive reach. These guys are pros and they understand that anyone can go at anytime. They will come to camp and not miss a beat without him. I love Harris but if he leaves it really hurts the sentimentality of the fans far more than the team.

Edited by GCn20

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Andrew Harris is important to the locker room if he comes back but predicting the doom of our culture or other players being disgruntled by it is a massive reach. These guys are pros and they understand that anyone can go at anytime. They will come to camp and not miss a beat without him. I love Harris but if he leaves it really hurts the sentimentality of the fans far more than the team.

This is exactly it...players know this in inevitable...they aren't going to use it to be a negative distraction ...they already have shown that by signing on....many for less...and many who didn't even wanna take a look see....not that locker room.

If anything I could see them saying cmon dude...let's all sacrifice a lil..to go down as a dynasty...as some have done it for 2022

We also don't even know the facts...did the team not offer a number? Did Harris say no to a reduced amount? Are they far apart...close....is it Harris doesn't wanna be a role player? Who knows right now....maybe it's media making mountain outta mole hill....end result is we will be filelding guys who wanna be here..fit the sms structure and the culture...and have to be odds on favorite to at least get to cup with or without Harris....

Just now, Mike said:

Of course it’s the media making a mountain out of a molehill

100 percent...there's prob some issues there...but not this rift they making it seem like

We should be grateful we basically retained 4 /5ths of the best online as well as 3/4's of the best dline and still retained the league MOP ...MODP...MOL and prob the best corner and halfback in Rose and Nichols...may as well toss in the 2 best young Canadian RB's in the league and most versatile Canadian reciever...we be just fine

People still give ppl like Hamilton and McIntyre for the Jets way to much attention.  They are opinion writers. Essentially they are us folks on here but likely less knowledgeable 

I'll take a booch or a few others folks opinions over guys writing for the local national enquirers 

How do I get clicks... ok I'll make **** up and start a frenzy based on nothing but my own opinion 

They get paid

Edited by Goalie

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

100 percent...there's prob some issues there...but not this rift they making it seem like

We should be grateful we basically retained 4 /5ths of the best online as well as 3/4's of the best dline and still retained the league MOP ...MODP...MOL and prob the best corner and halfback in Rose and Nichols...may as well toss in the 2 best young Canadian RB's in the league and most versatile Canadian reciever...we be just fine

We have enough of the core of the Cup team that we ought to be fast out of the gate. Whatever gaps there might be, we still have the draft , whoever the scouts can scare up, and then there is the free agent pool. We got this.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let’s just say there is some truth to what he is saying.

Would none of this potentially fall on Harris?

If he asks for too much, when everyone else is giving up a little here and there, the Bombers what? Owe it to him to give in? Why?

thats what I was saying in a different post....Other guys have left money on table...some not even explored it to stay here, and keep the band together...and if there any lockeroom chatter I can see it more like "hey dude...lets all sacrifice a bit again, for the chance to be more than a back to back" just like guys did to get that back to back....He is 35...he has to expect to be making less now, and if he being stubborn...I guess its see ya later.....if anything I think it's more of the informal talk of here's prob what we can give you if we bring all 3 of you back....and he didnt like it

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

We have enough of the core of the Cup team that we ought to be fast out of the gate. Whatever gaps there might be, we still have the draft , whoever the scouts can scare up, and then there is the free agent pool. We got this.

we will basically trot out if we want right now our whole offence who were in this system last year if we use a Mcknight and and Agudusi or Jackson in the Lawler/Adams spots..thats huge...we hit ground running

Pretty much same on defence... Maston knows SAM...Hallet if need be knows safety...and Rose..Nichols..Taylor and it would be Houston at moment all started last yr...we are in no way shape or form in a bad position...Free Agency we just augmenting...reloading....whatever u wanna call it and I feel a surprise coming

1 hour ago, Mike said:

If he asks for too much, when everyone else is giving up a little here and there, the Bombers what? Owe it to him to give in? Why?

Yeah exactly..  We don't really know for sure what this is about. But i think maybe the bombers need to shave some money somewhere. Id take Zach/Oliveria over Masoli (or similar)/Harris

2 hours ago, Mike said:

He needs to be willing to leave some on the table. $160k is an impossible number. 

If he is hard on that number and can get it somewhere else then I am happy for him.

I don't like people kicking him out the door like he is washed. He isn't. I didn't like the Bombers allegedly not even offering him a number and letting him walk. That is disrespectful. I don't like this "the team wasn't happy with him at the start of the season" bullshit. He wanted to play  they wouldn't let him. He walked in after 2 years off, no pre-season, and an injury, and had an immediate impact. 

I don't want him leaving here hating the franchise. The guy is coming off major roles in back to back Cups.

Edited by Geebrr

41 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He needs to be willing to leave some on the table. $160k is an impossible number. 

If he is hard on that number and can get it somewhere else then I am happy for him.

I don't like people kicking him out the door like he is washed. He isn't. I didn't like the Bombers allegedly not even offering him a number and letting him walk. That is disrespectful. I don't like this "the team wasn't happy with him at the start of the season" bullshit. He wanted to play  they wouldn't let him. He walked in after 2 years off, no pre-season, and an injury, and had an immediate impact. 

I don't want him leaving here hating the franchise. The guy is coming off major roles in back to back Cups.

He is still the best back in our room, I think everyone understands that. From Walters down to the fan base. No one is suggesting he’s washed that I can see.

If the Bombers didn’t offer him a number, that’s not disrespectful, it’s a result of being in constant communication with him and knowing what his expectations are and that we couldn’t meet them. That’s all.

As to the team tension, we don’t know one way or the other for sure. He’s not infallible, it’s certainly possible he came to camp out of shape after a year off. It’s also possible people are jumping on the injury and his presumed departure and trying to find/create malice from these events. 

If we believed a couple of weeks ago that our franchise has done things right and treated our players with respect and built a solid team culture that people want to be a part of, then we should believe that they have treated Andrew above board and will walk away amicably.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Am I taking crazy pills? What would be upsetting about swapping Adams for Ellingson?

I love me some Darvin, but Ellingson can still go. He had 68.7 yards per game last year with some absolute dogshit quarterbacking. Adams had around two thirds of that with league best QB play.

I would be happy to see us sign Ellingson. Ellingson, Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky and a rookie like Agudosi or Blake Jackson? Sign me up.

People are being crazy.  5  - 1000 yard seasons in a row and one down year in which he played less games on the worst team in the West which only scored 22 more points then Ottawa during the season. 

Ellingson  -  47/69    68% in 10 games while playing half his games with a rookie and he played against the Winnipeg defense 3 times! 

Adams   -    26/49   53%  in 11 games while playing with the MOP on the absolute best team.

WTF?

I like Adams but if they were to get Ellingson then that's a huge upgrade and helps fill that gap from the loss of Lawler.  

The way I see it, if Harris leaves, so what? If he wants to leave on good terms that's great. We'll all wish him well. If he wants to leave all pissy because he's not the highest paid back on the team anymore then that's his problem.

Things never stay static. Players retire & move on all the time as we know especially in the CFL more than any league. Later today will tell the tale as well. Who leaves & who we sign in free agency. Every team has taken some hits & not just us. So, things tend to even out. The good teams will still be good. The 3 worst teams may or may not be better. They are all concentrating on skill players & very few O & D lineman & that's where games are won & lost.  I've never heard of championship teams being built around receivers. We're in good shape when it comes to our lines. A solid foundation.