2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

Harris in lotus land makes the most sense IF he's going anywhere.....Andrew still has a few friends in B.C. especially the Island.....I thought he'd finish his career a Bomber BUT things change....Time is not on his side anymore and what's best for the club rules the day....I wish him luck wherever he lands...I know he'll remember the Cups fondly and he also knows our D takes no prisoners.....whoever we play

Random question I genuinely don't know the answer to but can the league step in for any reason when the contracts are that large for players like Lawler or somewhere else? Bob Irving mentioned the contract size and how these types of deals will really hurt the league.

Edited by Nolby

so heading into free agency....as it stands right now starter wise we look like this:

Woli, Bailey, Bryant, Grey, Couture, Neufeld, Hardrick, Demski, say Jackson and Mcnight

Collaros, Augustine/Oliveira

and

Rose, Nichols, Jefferson, Sayles, Thomas, Jeffcoat, Taylor, Houston

Maston, Biggie, Wilson, and say Hallett at safety 

Can't complain so far

2 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Random question I genuinely don't know the answer to but can the league step in for any reason when the contracts are that large for Lawler? Bob Irving mention the contract size and how these types of deals will really hurt the league.

Sports leagues do have the right to veto contracts and trades. The cfl did just that to the attempt to sign that lber with a domestic violence charge and with Jacob ruby last year. 

No chance they do it to Lawler though. 

6 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Random question I genuinely don't know the answer to but can the league step in for any reason when the contracts are that large for Lawler? Bob Irving mention the contract size and how these types of deals will really hurt the league.

I don't know if they can honestly. Not sure why Bob would think it would hurt the league...the team signing those yes...and maybe because they'll likely be less competitive than a balanced team that is what he meant...but otherwise I'm not sure how higher salaries is a bad thing.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

so heading into free agency....as it stands right now starter wise we look like this:

Woli, Bailey, Bryant, Grey, Couture, Neufeld, Hardrick, Demski, say Jackson and Mcnight

Collaros, Augustine/Oliveira

and

Rose, Nichols, Jefferson, Sayles, Thomas, Jeffcoat, Taylor, Houston

Maston, Biggie, Wilson, and say Hallett at safety 

Can't complain so far

Walters has done an incredible job. Really can’t ask for much more. Hopefully we can still add a piece or two in free agency. Moncreif and Ellington and I think I would have to go from an A to an A + haha 

I think with BA its a matter of waitng to see what other pieces come in at....we can basically hide a good 3rd of his deal on the IR...so doubt money will be an issue with him...kind of a blessing which could allow us to bring back Darby along with already landing Rose, and maybe Stove

11 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Random question I genuinely don't know the answer to but can the league step in for any reason when the contracts are that large for players like Lawler or somewhere else? Bob Irving mentioned the contract size and how these types of deals will really hurt the league.

I don’t know why the league would prevent teams from signing players. If that’s where a team wants to devote their salary cap, it’s up to them.

I honestly just think the cap is expected to go up and that will be the new high-end offensive weapon number.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don’t know why the league would prevent teams from signing players. If that’s where a team wants to devote their salary cap, it’s up to them.

I honestly just think the cap is expected to go up and that will be the new high-end offensive weapon number.

The only reason the league would reject a contract would be if it was obviously too low and some sort of shenanigans were going on. But, then, it would part of a bigger problem. 

Lure Stove back with the chance to stuff Harris in LDC and Banjo Bowl. ;)

Edited by JCon

Just now, Jesse said:

So the claim that the CFL lost $60-80 million in 2020 and playing in half empty stadiums in 2021 were just illusions?

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

So the claim that the CFL lost $60-80 million in 2020 and playing in half empty stadiums in 2021 were just illusions?

That's in the past. The CBA is up for renewal and the cap would be based on expected earnings. Something close to or above 2019 numbers would make sense. 

23 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Jeff Hamilton on Winnipeg Sports Talk just said Brady got 110k.

Also interesting he suggested at some point Wade might be needed in to bridge a deal between the club and Harris.

Why would wade be needed? Would Oshea have a better handle on things, player relationship wise.....and if for whatever reason THAT relationship was torn, why would the club even want to bring Harris back?

25 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Jeff Hamilton on Winnipeg Sports Talk just said Brady got 110k.

Also interesting he suggested at some point Wade might be needed in to bridge a deal between the club and Harris.

Can you expand on that "bridge deal"?

58 minutes ago, Nolby said:

The league can void a contract that is offered (like a domestic violence situation) but have zero interest in doing it for big payday deals. They shrug and give minimal penalties if anything at all for salary cap violators, and allowed Edmonton to delay a Jason Maas trade to Hamilton to let them load up on defence and keep him for a Grey Cup run while giving nothing back in return until after the season. League has no interest in policing itself where player deals are involved based on past precedent.