2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Guys deserve more than one year to develop if the coaching staff believes in them 

I agree. My main concern about McKnight has more to do with his size and probable role in the offence. I would like to see us add a little more beef to our receiving corps, but if he has a great offseason and can't be kept off the field this year I'm all for it.

34 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Wonder what the difference will mean to him in terms of sponsorships and outside of football income. Can't imagine a CFLer can make decent coin doing promos and such in Toronto.

I'm not sure what he can make outside of football in Toronto, but I know if he had come back this year at a shave the goodwill and goodbye tour would have landed him more in Winnipeg.

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

Sad to see Darvin and Harris go, but it had to happen eventually. 

Darvin isn't the receiver he once was, but he was still a hell of blocker and great guy to have on the team. Made some big plays when it counted in the 2019 and 2021 playoffs. Nice finish for him in blue and gold catching the game winning TD in the cup.

Harris clearly struggled with injuries last year but looked great when on the field. Too bad they couldn't work out a deal but had to move on to younger guys at some point. He no longer had to be the focal point of the O with Collaros around. For a few years he carried the team, but the team improved enough that he didn't have to carry them anymore. Wish him good luck in TO and glad he's not playing in the West.

It's sad that our heroes age out sometimes. Adams and Harris will always hold fond memories to me but realistically the impact of losing them will not be felt as highly as if we could not re-sign the Jeffs or Big Stan and Yoshi for instance. Choices had to be made by Walters and you gotta look where your best plan B is in effect and not let the heart over rule the head sometimes.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's sad that our heroes age out sometimes. Adams and Harris will always hold fond memories to me but realistically the impact of losing them will not be felt as highly as if we could not re-sign the Jeffs or Big Stan and Yoshi for instance. Choices had to be made by Walters and you gotta look where your best plan B is in effect and not let the heart over rule the head sometimes.

Agreed. Andrew did what he needed to do for himself and his family. He's probably only got one really good year left and he's at the age where injuries take much more of a toll on a pro level athlete. That extra $ from Toronto (however much it is) simply could not be matched by the Bombers. Especially considering the young CDN talent they have at RB. I think they did what what was best for the team long term. Despite how much it hurts us as fans, we all know that sports is a business.

1 minute ago, Starman115 said:

Agreed. Andrew did what he needed to do for himself and his family. He's probably only got one really good year left and he's at the age where injuries take much more of a toll on a pro level athlete. That extra $ from Toronto (however much it is) simply could not be matched by the Bombers. Especially considering the young CDN talent they have at RB. I think they did what what was best for the team long term. Despite how much it hurts us as fans, we all know that sports is a business.

I disagree that chasing a few dollars more in Toronto was the right move by Harris but it's not my choice to make. However, yea....we have Brady and Johnny and will be just fine at RB.

Well he's still in Blue.....the wrong blue but what the hey......T.O. needed something to sell to the fans there....Too bad it had to be our star player....Time for Augustine and Brady to shine.....We took some hits in fa......but in the end we'll still be very competitive...Walters has a few spots to fill and it doesn't look like we're broke......sooooo onward upward

20 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If Walters is making decisions like Wally Buono made decisions, I’d say we are headed for some remarkable years ahead of us. 

2 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

If Walters is making decisions like Wally Buono made decisions, I’d say we are headed for some remarkable years ahead of us. 

I think Wally's decision making on these matters is a little overstated, I mean without Wally thinking Andrew was washed up we don't get the remarkable 5 seasons we had of him. However, yes, Wally ran it like a business and had a lot of success. I think Walters is more like Hufnagel who lets guys go to FA who want to chase the dollars and then comes up with a bumper crop of rookies to replace them. We have entered that kind of stability now ourselves.

Edited by GCn20

the way I see it...we will get 1000 yards or more outta Ellingson, and 1000 yards or more outta the RB combo.....and in process gain some speed on offence...Vet presence is there with Ellingson in place of Darvin.....Bailey has same as Lawler....and not like the RB's are green rookies...we be fine

Some people are trying to make the Harris situation a little too black and white... it's possible neither side is really "at fault" and this was just the only result for both sides... Harris still wants to play, be the lead back, and get compensated fairly... The Bombers want to start transitioning to the younger backs and only have a limited amount of dollars to spend at RB... so this was just the result that worked best for both parties...

Harris will still live in Wpg after the season and be a brand into the future... he's just going to finish his CFL career with a year or two in Toronto.

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Some people are trying to make the Harris situation a little too black and white... it's possible neither side is really "at fault" and this was just the only result for both sides... Harris still wants to play, be the lead back, and get compensated fairly... The Bombers want to start transitioning to the younger backs and only have a limited amount of dollars to spend at RB... so this was just the result that worked best for both parties...

Harris will still live in Wpg after the season and be a brand into the future... he's just going to finish his CFL career with a year or two in Toronto.

It is absolutely grey for sure. Neither side was particularly interested in making a deal happen so there was none. Could the Bombers have paid him...sure they could have....and might even have got their money's worth, could Harris have taken a shave and stayed at home and cemented his place on the ring of honor with a farewell tour....sure he could have. However, it didn't seem that either side was particularly interested in meeting in the middle and so the fault goes both ways.

was purely a football scenario that happens everywhere...bang for buck...value and risk....transition....setting up for the longer haul and not just living in the now....I'm fine with it now...we kept our core..which is still best in league, kept our recruiting department intact. Which is now best in league, same with our coaching staff...I'd have lost my **** if we retained Adams, Harris and Lawler, but still lost Stove...One of the Jeffs, Prob one or both our tackles and possibly a Rose or Biggie....

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

was purely a football scenario that happens everywhere...bang for buck...value and risk....transition....setting up for the longer haul and not just living in the now....I'm fine with it now...we kept our core..which is still best in league, kept our recruiting department intact. Which is now best in league, same with our coaching staff...I'd have lost my **** if we retained Adams, Harris and Lawler, but still lost Stove...One of the Jeffs, Prob one or both our tackles and possibly a Rose or Biggie....

For sure. For all the griping this offseason could have went much, much worse for us for the same amount of dollars spent. I don't see a single high profile guy we signed this offseason that I would trade for Harris, Adams or Stove. The other guys who walked away were completely beyond our control when idiotic money or the NFL come calling you just can't compete with that.

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

There's been a lot of chatter around here about our 2021 draft pick Patrice Rene... what doe we know about this guy?... is there any chance he gets NFL interest?... Or do we think there's a good chance he's in camp this year??

Dobson and Rene may both get UDFA interest or might not. Nobody really can say right now. However, both guys could possibly end up here so that is why there is all the chatter. Both would be big gets.

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

There's been a lot of chatter around here about our 2021 draft pick Patrice Rene... what doe we know about this guy?... is there any chance he gets NFL interest?... Or do we think there's a good chance he's in camp this year??

https://scarletknights.com/sports/football/roster/patrice-rene/10422

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4037516/patrice-rene

6'2" 205lbs - that's a big solid DB....

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Had a major injury in either 2019 or start of 2020, which sidelined him for the season... Played corner for North Carolina, was ranked very high, prior. Transferred to Rudgers this past year... Don't believe he's going to get much of a look NFL wise, but here in Canada probably will... that's my take...

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

For what its worth, it doesn't appear that Liam Dobson was among the 324 prospects invited to the NFL combine.

Most UDFAs don't go to the combine. Just shows that if he were drafted it would an off the board pick. However, doesn't mean much as far as him getting an NFL look.

2 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Had a major injury in either 2019 or start of 2020, which sidelined him for the season... Played corner for North Carolina, was ranked very high, prior. Transferred to Rudgers this past year... Don't believe he's going to get much of a look NFL wise, but here in Canada probably will... that's my take...

I tend to agree. He didn't have a particularly impactful season as an over ager at Rutgers. Any NFL interest would be based purely on his size and would likely be a brief look imo.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

yup...eager to see him....at worst he will be a special team demon, but could end up getting reps at safety....he is more than eager to get going up here to if the NFL doesn't come calling..starter at corner for NCU...Injured for 2019 but has since played in 2020 and 2021 for Rutgers....thinking he sees no NFL offers so should be here

4 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

acl....

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yup...eager to see him....at worst he will be a special team demon, but could end up getting reps at safety....he is more than eager to get going up here to if the NFL doesn't come calling..starter at corner for NCU...Injured for 2019 but has since played in 2020 and 2021 for Rutgers....thinking he sees no NFL offers so should be here

acl....

and he a draft pick..so its here or nowhere

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/05/16/tait-built-off-adversity-patrice-rene-eyes-bright-future/

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/the-road-to-the-pros-ottawas-patrice-rene-has-eye-on-cfl-and-nfl

Certainly is a big guy considering we have usually gone with the smaller stature db guys....He must be quick for his size.....don't like the fact he had an achilles injury BUT guys recover nicely from those nowadays...I'd like to see him in camp.....As for Dobson the road grader.....I like....could make us forget about Eli...Here's hopin'

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Certainly is a big guy considering we have usually gone with the smaller stature db guys....He must be quick for his size.....don't like the fact he had an achilles injury BUT guys recover nicely from those nowadays...I'd like to see him in camp.....As for Dobson the road grader.....I like....could make us forget about Eli...Here's hopin'

was an acl...and has played 2 seasons since it occurredhe's fine...he could actually be a boundary corner possibility, safety for sure but that BA spot, but could fill in until he back, and be a versatile backup at a few positions with the right passport

Edited by Booch