2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Alexander's going to be gone for 6 games. Why would anyone sign him now instead of later?

Because he’s that good and won’t count against the cap until he returns. Glad to see it’s likely he’s coming back to Winnipeg. I can’t stress this enough out defense really started coming together once we moved Alexander to safety. 

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Anyone else surprised Walters essentially chose Ellingson over Darvin? I cant imagine Darvin was asking for more than we gave Ellingson.

Not at all. Have you watched Darvin the last two seasons? Over that time elingson has doubled Darvins production. You have to go 3 Years back to see Darvin be a legit no1 no no2 wr. Ellingson would've put up 1k easy in 21 if he had a qb with a pulse. 

Really elingson replaces Lawler and Adams  be replaced at worst by McKnight. Wont take much to upgrade that production in a premium slot spot. Woli would be an immediate upgrade and McKnight could be the decoy wr. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not at all. Have you watched Darvin the last two seasons? Over that time elingson has doubled Darvins production. You have to go 3 Years back to see Darvin be a legit no1 no no2 wr. Ellingson would've put up 1k easy in 21 if he had a qb with a pulse. 

Really elingson replaces Lawler and Adams  be replaced at worst by McKnight. Wont take much to upgrade that production in a premium slot spot. Woli would be an immediate upgrade and McKnight could be the decoy wr. 

I honestly don't see McKnight winning that job.

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

even with the QBs he had throwing him the ball... he was on pace to reach 1000 yards in 15 games... He can still play... he's no Lawler, but this signing helps ease the pain a bit.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I honestly don't see McKnight winning that job.

I don't see what they do in McKnight. But they are crazy about him. 

22 minutes ago, bearpants said:

even with the QBs he had throwing him the ball... he was on pace to reach 1000 yards in 15 games... He can still play... he's no Lawler, but this signing helps ease the pain a bit.

Yep. I think elington is elite again if he gets the touches and looks Lawler did. 

Hoping some low risk high reward vets ring chase on cheaper deals too. 

40 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Bauming reporting that Castillo won’t be back… assuming he lands in Edmonton?

Don't know why we wouldn't have tried to secure his services.....Don't like riding on Mourtada...Unless Leggs has upped his game we could be in trouble like we were last year before the matador Castillo arrived

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Don't know why we wouldn't have tried to secure his services.....Don't like riding on Mourtada...Unless Leggs has upped his game we could be in trouble like we were last year before the matador Castillo arrived

If memory serves, Castillo wants to pursue NFL options. With the vast wage differences, I can't blame him.

Edited by Tracker

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I am, lol.

Meh....we will go out and get a kicker if/when we need to do so. Mourtado has had a full offseason to work on his craft and adjust to the CFL. I'm willing to bring him to camp and see what he's got before blowing dough on another kicker. There will be other kickers available if/when we need one.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

the loss I hate the most is Darby....he was so valuable as can play all over...the other 4 to cfl teams (Jones, Admas, Lawler, Stove) are easier to replace and I feel we have already

Well if there’s been an area of strength in recent years it’s been the ability to recruit DB’s. We were also left with question marks in our secondary at the start of the season but it ended up becoming one of our strengths. 

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

I actually have a gut feeling Mourtado may actually impress this spring

He's already made quite an impression.

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

the loss I hate the most is Darby....he was so valuable as can play all over...the other 4 to cfl teams (Jones, Admas, Lawler, Stove) are easier to replace and I feel we have already

Darby was very good, but not irreplaceable.

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

Bauming reporting that Castillo won’t be back… assuming he lands in Edmonton?

Can't imagine how much guaranteed $$$ it would take to keep Castillo from hanging out until summer and waiting for a NFL shot.  He's right on that fringe and 2-3 weeks on an active NFL roster is his CFL season.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Can't imagine how much guaranteed $$$ it would take to keep Castillo from hanging out until summer and waiting for a NFL shot.  He's right on that fringe and 2-3 weeks on an active NFL roster is his CFL season.

For sure. If I were a good kicker in the CFL I would be waiting until the eve of camp to sign. NFL kicking is at an all time low right now.

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Well if there’s been an area of strength in recent years it’s been the ability to recruit DB’s. We were also left with question marks in our secondary at the start of the season but it ended up becoming one of our strengths. 

yup...and we signed Donovan Olumba which I forgot....intrigued by him

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

Darby was obviously excellent, but we have had success filling it lately (Gaitor, Maston, Darby). 

Confident we can find another. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Darby was obviously excellent, but we have had success filling it lately (Gaitor, Maston, Darby). 

Confident we can find another. 

Yea...I don't think SAM is a position a team needs to spend big money on especially teams like us that use it almost exclusively as an extra DB.

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I know there are tons of Stove fans in our fan base but I still maintain we will be just fine with Sayles and Wicker/Walker.