Training Camp 2018

21 minutes ago, tracker said:

From the look of things, Mahoney is a dead man walking, Streveler is tentatively set as #2 pivot, and Ross and Bennett will fight it out for the #3 QB spot. The BC preseason game will tell the story of which of these two gets the road map and apple.

so then what happens if Streveler craps the bed against BC and Bennett lights it up??  We are a pretty fickle bunch here.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Ross could still win the backup job.  It entirely possible he has a great game in BC and Streveler comes back to earth.  Nothing is settled yet.

True, but from Ross's performance against the Esks, he will have to show very well to hold off Bennett for third spot. Presumably, the Bombers saw enough in Bennett to bring him in once again, so the pressure has to be on Ross.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Ross could still win the backup job.  It entirely possible he has a great game in BC and Streveler comes back to earth.  Nothing is settled yet.

Yes true but Streveler has never played a CFL down before this where Ross has had a full year already and action in a real CFL game ( limited i know) he should be well ahead of Streveler by now...it should not be close at this stage imo.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

so then what happens if Streveler craps the bed against BC and Bennett lights it up??  We are a pretty fickle bunch here.

In that case it depends on what ross does. If ross poops the bed again he may be gone. With bennetts experience in our offense and with our core id say he is no2 and streveler no3. Mean while we pound the ground looking for a PR qb. Maybe some one cut from another camp. 

If Ross lights it up its more difficult. In that case I think all 4 stick around. bennett with his experience would be a lock for a roster spot imo if he has a good game in bc. Id say streveler goes to the PR / IR for a short stint while soaking up more of the coaching of plop and the playbook. ross is less likely to be snapped up as well imo. 

If its a mixed bag of out comes, better then average for ross back to human numbers for streveler and bennett shows some flashes (imo this is the most likely situation) we again keep all 4. Again streveler is a guy who can benefit from just being coached and having time to watch and study. We dont need him to be on the active roster for him to improve. Id hide streveler on 1 games for a couple weeks and let ross get more practice reps to see if he is a guy we want to keep around. We know streveler has the potential and some ability to full fill atleast part of that potential. He may not become a starter or a star or any thing. But at worst he can provide package use age and the unique look on scout team for our D to prep. If ross doesnt have what it takes to pass at the pro level (weve seen plenty of accomplished college spread offense passers go belly up here like kliff kingsbury) he falls out of usage instantly. 

47 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Rest Nichols and the other key starters on Friday.

I was thinking a bit about that. More teams seem to be doing this then ever. I was thinking the opposite though. With the in ability to have old school TCs and practices maybe its more valuable to play the vets more so they go into the regular season tuned up and ready to roll. 

Id be in favor of sitting nichols, let him coach and watch. Start the A team OL. they need ironing out. Sit dressler for sure. Adams has been kinda quiet in camp I might play him. But for him health is some thing worth preserving as well. Id sit harris, play demski et al. Id play bighorn to try and get him more accustomed to our team and the system. Sit loffler, randle and fenner.  start JSK and the DL. let the DL continue to gel and set expectations high for them. 

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yes true but Streveler has never played a CFL down before this where Ross has had a full year already and action in a real CFL game ( limited i know) he should be well ahead of Streveler by now...it should not be close at this stage imo.

Its a bit different player to player, how quickly they adapt and hit a base knowledge level to be effective players. But after a year, a qb should be at that level. The game is soo decision oriented, soo fast, and hard on qbs if it takes more then a year for the lights to come on its a bad sign. Not saying ross is at that point, but agreeing being in a dog fight, even slightly behind a guy with out that first TC and years worth of practices + a start is a big deal. It also doesnt help that his pre season performance looks very much like his regular season performance last year. It is still early though and nichols was a late bloomer too. 

Steveler could be like QB's Ricky Ray, Allen, Ham in their first year showing stuff from the get go ... he could also be completely something else ... he's got Pierce and Lapo and Nichols to decide what is the best course of development action ....

If Bennett plays Friday I hope he is not like the majority of rookie QB's playing like a deer caught in the head lights .... young QB's need composure to do anything in this league ... I hope both Ross and Bennett show some of that composure Friday ...

And yes Nichols needs a quarter to get ready for Edmonton: he needs rhythm and timing to shake off the rust we so often see in opening games ... he needs to perfect his timing with Bowman and learn how Simonaise and Demski will run their routes (where they will be when in a game setting) ... I think he will not need a tune up with Dressler and Adams but it won't hurt to refresh some memory imprints ....

So Nichols for nearly a half and then divide up the remaining time between the other 3 aspiring QBs with more time for good performance: 1st Seveler then Bennett then Ross or as we saw last game alternating series for thinking and reflection time ...

And no I am not concerned about possible injury to Nichols ... if you play the injury fear obsession we always hear from the TSN color commentators (exempt Dunigan) you can not play football at all.

Edited by BigBlue

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Its a bit different player to player, how quickly they adapt and hit a base knowledge level to be effective players. But after a year, a qb should be at that level. The game is soo decision oriented, soo fast, and hard on qbs if it takes more then a year for the lights to come on its a bad sign. Not saying ross is at that point, but agreeing being in a dog fight, even slightly behind a guy with out that first TC and years worth of practices + a start is a big deal. It also doesnt help that his pre season performance looks very much like his regular season performance last year. It is still early though and nichols was a late bloomer too. 

Nichols got hurt..thats what kept him behind Reilly their first year together battling it out in TC and i believe was actually ahead of Reilly at one point. Had 2 brutal leg injuries Reilly grabbed the reins and the rest is history. I agree its still early but for Streveler to even be close to a backup role says alot about him. Unless they are all horrible then...well. 😂😉

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Steven Clarke was released.

Kind of surprising considering he had a knockdown and an interception on Friday but I guess there's a lot more going on that we don't necessarily see or notice.

Was the knockdown the one where we was beat cleanly for a TD but the ball hit him in the back because it was underthrown?

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t know what to feel ... I would’ve been disappointed if he made the team but I feel surprised he got cut this early.

Oh well.

Agreed. 100 percent. Not sure how to feel.. Perhaps relieved but somewhat surprised hes one of the first cuts? 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Steven Clarke was released.

Kind of surprising considering he had a knockdown and an interception on Friday but I guess there's a lot more going on that we don't necessarily see or notice.

From what I could tell on the knockdown he was badly beaten but the ball was so underthrown that he was able to get back there and the ball kind of just hit him from behind.  

15 hours ago, tracker said:

From the look of things, Mahoney is a dead man walking, Streveler is tentatively set as #2 pivot, and Ross and Bennett will fight it out for the #3 QB spot. The BC preseason game will tell the story of which of these two gets the road map and apple.

I have no idea how they're evaluating Mahoney as I feel like he hasn't taken any snaps in practice.