Training Camp 2018

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Judging by camp reports, the starting lineup on D (spots with multiple names indicate that the first-team D has seen multiple players in those spots):

BCB: Randle
BHB: Gaitor
S: Loffler
FHB: Fogg, Walker, Sayles
FCB: Alexander, Cooper

WLB: JSK, Wilson
MLB: Bighill
SLB: Fenner

DE: Roh, Okpalaugo
DT: Johnson
DT: Nevis
DE: Jeffcoat

So I would think Gaitor moves over to Field HB once Leggett is healthy...?

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So I would think Gaitor moves over to Field HB once Leggett is healthy...?

Seems like the logical move.  Whether it is Fenner or Leggett at HB we'll have to wait and see.

But I'm not counting out our rookies yet.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone steals a spot.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Seems like the logical move.  Whether it is Fenner or Leggett at HB we'll have to wait and see.

But I'm not counting out our rookies yet.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone steals a spot.

Still cheering for Walker...  I thought he played great for a rookie with no safety help

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Judging by camp reports, the starting lineup on D (spots with multiple names indicate that the first-team D has seen multiple players in those spots):

BCB: Randle
BHB: Gaitor
S: Loffler
FHB: Fogg, Walker, Sayles
FCB: Alexander, Cooper

WLB: JSK, Wilson
MLB: Bighill
SLB: Fenner

DE: Roh, Okpalaugo
DT: Johnson
DT: Nevis
DE: Jeffcoat

Is Bryant still a possibility at DT?  I know he was out with an injury, but haven't heard anything recently.

6 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming 14m14 minutes ago

Anthony Gaitor is taking the day to just watch after leaving practice late yesterday. Interesting to note; vet Steven Clarke is in his boundary halfback spot while rookie Marcus Sayles misses his third-straight practice. Brandon Alexander is missing his fourth-straight. #Bombers

Can't make the team from the tub...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Still cheering for Walker...  I thought he played great for a rookie with no safety help

Darrin Bauming‏ @DarrinBauming 21m21 minutes ago

Brian Walker, back for his second season, is getting his turn today with the first team at the field side corner. As I type, the second 12-on-12 rep, Walker beat deep by Adarius Bowman off the arm of Nichols. #Bombers

Darrin Bauming‏ @DarrinBauming 16m16 minutes ago

Walker has also been working at the dimeback (strongside linebacker) in camp. #Bombers looking for options there beyond Leggett and Fenner as Fogg struggled there last season. Walker not shy to bang bodies.

43 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Is Bryant still a possibility at DT?  I know he was out with an injury, but haven't heard anything recently.

Sure, everyone is still a possibility.  My list was just who I have noticed playing with the starters in practice by reading tweets, reports, etc.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

We have a plethora of good guys to fill out the final spot. Some good dbs are gonna get cut. Walker did play pretty well in a pretty poor set up. I hope we keep the best vet to start, and one or two of the best young guys to sit on the PR. Two years ago At the end of the season I thought we were set at db talent wise. 

If mo gets back healthy and regains his MOp form, this D is gonna make swaggerville look like staggerville. 

These pre-season games are going to separate the wheat from the chaff and there could be a few surprises...No matter how good you look in camp...if you can't perform when the lights are on...cut time around the corner....I think we've brought in enough talent to definitely improve this year....Just how much???We're about to find out pretty quick

"I just think we’re going to be one of the best defences Winnipeg has seen and in the league."
@The_HitchnPost 48-Hour Primer.
- Kevin Fogg

Damn if I don’t agree with this. 

In the past, last year for example, we’ve had to “settle” at at least 1 position, that is, play somebody who was not suited for the necessary role. It’s not hard to guess who that was last year, and in the recent past.

When it became apparent that there was going to be an open competition at MLB, that automatically made us better.

When we signed Bighill, well, words cannot describe what that will do for everybody connected to defence. 

Bighill, and the quality players brought in on defence, and the competition for each spot, will make it an exciting season for sure.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

"I just think we’re going to be one of the best defences Winnipeg has seen and in the league."
@The_HitchnPost 48-Hour Primer.
- Kevin Fogg

I like hearing this. I think our defense will be better. I feel though, that for us to compete for 1st in the west (which I think we can do) our defense doesn't need to be the best in the league...it just needs to be better, probably top 3. Our offense is a top 3 offense. Our special teams is up there. Just got to get our defense there. 

yeah Bighill was huge..we were gonna be good this year...now we are gonna be reeaaal good. Watching him yesterday, he just brings so much to the unit and it rubs off and others step their game up to match his.

He is like a Dressler on the Defense whereas he is like another coach who is on the field. Watching our rotation an crew with Biggie flanked by JSK and Fenner/Legget with a Wilson rotating in is going to be really good...and I would think we will have a Gause on the PR learning the system and ready to step in when needed with no drop in play...Not sure where I see Wild fitting in truth be told

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

we were gonna be good this year...now we are gonna be reeaaal good. 

What do expect for Trent Corney?

I thought he looked very fast last season, chased down a QB on the other side of the field on a play that I noticed his speed on. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Not sure where I see Wild fitting in truth be told

Big question mark for sure....I have always been a fan of the guy....Brings it on every play BUT time catches up with us all and IF someone is better at his position you go with it...I think Ian has a future in coaching in this league...he has the smarts to better any team in this league...I hope it's with us after his playing days are done and if he gets beat out this year I hope he sticks around and we find a spot for him in the coaching ranks...AND no I'm not Wild's relative

HIS reportedly low salary plays into his favor to keep him around, but not sure Wilson would want to sit on the PR again, or if he would be happy as on the 46 but not dressed for games. He did that for us last year so thats a gamble to ask him if you ask me...as a player if I know I can play somewhere I wasn't a fan of not dressing....though the culture here may make it more tempting to hang around and wait and not pull a TJ Thorpe..we shall see

Wild too is hurt..again so I could see us putting him on the 6 game to start season and see how Wilson and or say Gause look...and if need pull him off early ans let the young guys marinate a bit more on PR/46 MAN

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Keep in mind that it's preseason. They will be playing a pretty base D, as will the esks. But I am looking forward to seeing match ups on both the lines. And seeing what kind of plays if any the DBs can make.

Agreed. The best thing to look for (if we could watch on TV) would be matchups, as the playbook will be pretty thin.

On 2018-05-30 at 12:12 PM, Atomic said:

Nope.  In the past we've even seen guys take first-team reps all though camp and pre-season, and then get cut.

I think you guys said the same thing lol.

I think this team is different than previous years at least on offence, The only first team spots that are really up for grabs are the Canadian field reciever spot and Timothy Flanders spot imo. Lots of spots behind the First team though.

Edited by Gotmilt