Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

I am beginning to wonder if Jones is feeling heat to produce results after the circus he has been ringmaster over for the past while. Desperation makes for poor decisions.

Jones has little choice to roll with Glenn at this point, transitioning to Bridge or Adams next season is going to produce a .500 record at best.  I have no doubt they will throw a boatload of money at Franklin in the off-season to try to avoid that scenario, but it reeks of desperation.

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jones has little choice to roll with Glenn at this point, transitioning to Bridge or Adams next season is going to produce a .500 record at best.  I have no doubt they will throw a boatload of money at Franklin in the off-season to try to avoid that scenario, but it reeks of desperation.

Franklin will probably seek an NFL opportunity.

As much as I don't like the riders I don't think there's a conspiracy. They sign a lot of players seemingly on the daily, but they are also releasing players just as much so it's a wash for the most part. I think tho they are getting closer to the cap limit with some of the signings like Knox jr and Foster lately when they guys they replaced can't be making more than league minimum (like ratelle for example). They've used the 6 game quite a bit.  I also believe the PR's expanded recently too,  so they are filling theirs up. I'm actually a little jelly and wondering why we aren't seeing more  of our own transactions

15 hours ago, bb1 said:

So with Richardson signing is Marshal gone? Pulling out all the stops and everything else to boot...

I hope so... b/c Marshall is a much better back than Richardson... so it would be funny if they got rid of one of their most productive offensive players for a dud...

11 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think he's playing the short-term game and doesn't intend to stick around for the long run.

I think you're bang on... he does not plan to be in Sask for a long time... he's trying to win quickly so he can cash in on his next job...

Because of that mindset and mostly cuz he works for Sask makes me want to see him fail ever so much... :D

7 hours ago, Esks1975 said:

When did the eskimos go over the cap?

Back in the 80's-90's when the salary cap was a gentleman's agreement, the Esks spent like sailors on shore leave and bought up all the best players because they could due to being the most financially viable team in the league. It got to the point where they actually paid the travel expenses of teams so they could afford to come to play at the Grey Cup a couple of times.

is this summary of each official's job accurate? ( I don't know, that's why I'm asking)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_(Canadian_football).

Interesting, there is no published roster that I can find, of CFL officials. Someone posted that a ref was suspended for no call head shot on Reilly. good to know if true, but how can we know?

commissioner might want to update fans on stuff like that, since it causes a lot of irritation.

edit.

Edited by Mark F

Trent Richardson got charged with DV and had the same outcome as Manziel ...  dismissal 

so why is he allowed in but Manziel is not?

why was Justin Cox allowed in? Now he's stuck in Canada beating the **** out of women here too.

why was Chris Rainey allowed in? Texting "time to die *****" to a woman isn't bad enough?

why was Kyries Hebert allowed in? 

The list goes on and on ... they only care because Manziel is high profile and it gets people noticing that they care ... which is what the league wants ... the illusion of giving a **** when they clearly don't 

Maybe it's a move to the way things are going. I do know many teams have already lately and in the past ran potential signings by the league prior to doing it to see if they would/should allow it, and have been re-buffed and they would have been significant names....and I am all for that exclusion because the CFL doesn't want to be perceived as a League which allows any degenerate into it's fold, no questions asked...and thats a good thing

It's also not a  convenience thing for Hamilton. They as an organization shouldn't have to lose rights to a guy while the League waits to determine if his head is right. 

As for the guys already in...I'm guessing that they are grandfathered now, but any recurrence and I'd bet they will be outta here immediately. As for that piece of crap Cox...just a shame he is still here at all

Edited by Booch

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Trent Richardson got charged with DV and had the same outcome as Manziel ...  dismissal 

why was Justin Cox allowed in? Now he's stuck in Canada beating the **** out of women here too.

why was Chris Rainey allowed in? Texting "time to die *****" to a woman isn't bad enough?

The list goes on and on ... they only care because Manziel is high profile and it gets people noticing that they care ... which is what the league wants ... the illusion of giving a **** when they clearly don't 

Cox is not allowed back in the league.  You can't just shitcan Rainey and Hebert at this point now can you.  they have contracts with the league.  They changed their stance on stuff, period.  what flew before, doesn't now.   I will agree that the Trent Richardson one is a head scratcher tho.. I guess its not the fact he was charged and dismissed thats holding up Manziel, it must be something else.

clarification on why Richardson is allowed to have a contract while others are not would be nice to see.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I hope so... b/c Marshall is a much better back than Richardson... so it would be funny if they got rid of one of their most productive offensive players for a dud...

I think you're bang on... he does not plan to be in Sask for a long time... he's trying to win quickly so he can cash in on his next job...

Because of that mindset and mostly cuz he works for Sask makes me want to see him fail ever so much... :D

He may not be planning on being in Sask for a long time. But I fail to see him getting more money at his next gig, unless it's south of the border of course.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

But they let Cox in originally.

thats my point.

same thing with the Briles case, they were gonna let him in until the public outrage. They only seem to care when somebody is watching.

The CFL is really lucky all these cases are Americans.  If they barred a Canadian with no conviction from plying their trade they would be sued like there is no tomorrow.  Americans have no grounds to work in Canada so have no standing in court until they are permanent residents at least.

52 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The CFL is really lucky all these cases are Americans.  If they barred a Canadian with no conviction from plying their trade they would be sued like there is no tomorrow.  Americans have no grounds to work in Canada so have no standing in court until they are permanent residents at least.

That is a good point. 

I think Manziel will have to serve some sort of punishment for that bad disguise he used in Vegas a while back. 

10 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Why do people assume Manziel's case was strictly about domestic violence. That wasn't the only issue he would have had to address.

I think the connection was made early on by 3DownNation- 

The league is requiring Manziel be assessed by an expert in domestic violence prevention as well as meet with commissioner Randy Ambrosie before signing a contract with any club.

But you're absolutely right, there could have been a multitude of issues being discussed.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Maybe Richardson just wants to come up to Canada in order to run for the leader of a provincial political party?