Biggest Rivalry in the CFL: Regina Winnipeg

BigBlue

So says Dave Naylor on 1290 today .... its a great way to start the season he says

Personally, I don't think Saturday's game this week is going to be any cake walk:

Regina has a game under their belt and has already started to make adjustments .... we are still getting organized

Neither do we have psychology on our side in this stadium opener ...

Regina's strength (receiving) is going up against our biggest weakness from last year as borne out by the stats (passing yardage yielded)

Jones is going to focus on exposing Hurl ... trapping him until he won't even realize whats going on

What we do have going for us is the game in the trenches and that should show up by the fourth Quarter

We also have the Kevin Glenn choke factor where a seemingly competent QB gives one up at this worst possible moment

I think we manage to eke out a strange squeaker by the tiniest of margins and I would rather be lucky than good (even as we make our own luck)

I don't believe the Blue are ready to blow anybody away just yet; but by labor day who knows...

Edited by BigBlue

9 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

So says Dave Naylor on 1290 today .... its a great way to start the season he says

Personally, I don't think Saturday's game this week is going to be any cake walk:

Regina has a game under their belt and has already started to make adjustments .... we are still getting organized

Regina's strength (receiving) is going up against our biggest weakness from last year as borne out by the stats (passing yardage yielded)

Jones is going to focus on exposing Hurl ... trapping him until he won't even realize whats going on

What we do have going for us is the game in the trenches and that should show up by the fourth Quarter

We also have the Kevin Glenn choke factor where a seemingly competent QB gives one up at this worst possible moment

I think we manage to eke out a strange squeaker by the tiniest of margins and I would rather be lucky than good (even as we make our own luck)

I don't believe the Blue are ready to blow anybody away just yet; but by labor day who knows...

Don't give Jones too much credit, the Riders refuse to run the ball, they want to pass almost all the time. 

The book on Glenn is simple, pressure him and he goes away, so just get a push up front and it won't matter who they're lining up at receiver over there. 

29 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

This is just such a ridiculous statement....

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Don't give Jones too much credit, the Riders refuse to run the ball, they want to pass almost all the time. 

The book on Glenn is simple, pressure him and he goes away, so just get a push up front and it won't matter who they're lining up at receiver over there. 

that is precisely what we didn't do last year - no blitz no stunts no heroic pass rush

The key will be the Bomber offence. They have to control the ball and avoid going two and out at all times.

With the quick release, Glenn's experience and those receivers against an extremely soft Winnipeg secondary, pressure up front is not going to matter much and the Riders will be controlling the clock and marching up and down the field when they have the ball.

Best chance for a Bomber win is to match them point for point and keep the ball away from the Sask offence for as long as possible on every series. If they start off going two and out, it could get ugly early.

1 minute ago, TheSource said:

The key will be the Bomber offence. They have to control the ball and avoid going two and out at all times.

With the quick release, Glenn's experience and those receivers against an extremely soft Winnipeg secondary, pressure up front is not going to matter much and the Riders will be controlling the clock and marching up and down the field when they have the ball.

Best chance for a Bomber win is to match them point for point and keep the ball away from the Sask offence for as long as possible on every series. If they start off going two and out, it could get ugly early.

I smell something green... We know all about Glenn's experience, friend.  You'll note that his throwing hand is not hindered by the weight of a grey cup ring.

11 minutes ago, TheSource said:

You're right. I'm changing my pick for this week. When asked why, I'll just tell them I got info,  info straight from TheSource.

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

You're right. I'm changing my pick for this week. When asked why, I'll just tell them I got info,  info straight from TheSource.

You can still pick Blue and Gold...

On offence this year they should be more than capable of carrying the team 

2 hours ago, TheSource said:

The Bombers have an extremely soft secondary...? Are you basing that on two pre-season games?

How did Glenn's quick release, experience, and "those receivers" work out for the Riders last Thursday, BTW? If the Bombers' secondary is extremely soft, what does that make the Alouettes' secondary? Marshmallow soft? Kitten soft? Fresh linen soft?

By your logic, the Riders' offense will need to do the same: control the ball and avoid two and outs. I mean, how else would an offense execute its gameplan?

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

LOL

37 minutes ago, tracker said:

I heard an interview with Ian Wild today.He said that the Bombers defence is going to "simplify"their game. Whaaat???? i thought it was pretty darned vanilla last year.

Theres a big difference between simplifying things and playing vanilla. 

Ill say it.. I think we come out and woop their ass all over that new stadium. Week 1 saw lots of close games. Week 2 wont. Bombers win.. BIG. 

Not sure the fans really make a huge difference at all... Even here... We dont play the games, we just make noise. 

Edited by Goalie

The Riders looked like an emotional mess to me... our club over the O'Shea era has looked more and more composed and focused each year.  We take way less stupid emotional penalties compared to the Swaggerville era.   

Jeeze if we build an early lead or if the Green make a few mistakes they may self destruct.    All the pressure is on that club to perform.  

12 hours ago, TheSource said:

Image result for rider fan go away

13 hours ago, TheSource said:

Glenn really lit up that weak Als D last week.

Even with a quick release, he'll still have to run for his life, he'll still get hit and he'll still throw up some bad picks.

In Moe we trust.

I don't think it will be a blow out, but it will be an easy win.

Talent wise we should control both lines, and based on the scheme Sask ran, I don't see there D-line getting much pressure, maybe a bit sporadically off the edge, but that's about it. That's where Harris will come in handy as a check/release until Sask solves things and I am sure Lapo has game planned well for what Sask will do.

I don't see their DB's handling our receiving crew well either...Too much vet savvy there and that's gonna be huge, and thats where I think our receiving core is better than theirs and it will be key.

If Glenn is pressured, and pressured early and often it will limit what those receivers will be able to do for them, and they will be 2 and out a lot as our patient ball control offence eats up the clock and wears their defense out..You will see that Sask D-line gassed and sucking wind in second half with Harris ripping off big gains...bank on it and when sask's green secondary and linebackers adjust and fill the box, look out for Denmark and Dresslers vet route running exploit them on posts and deep outs.

If our defense comes to play and schemes Glenn how I think they will, I bet he is around 50% passing with just over 200 yards barely and 2 picks while being sacked 5 times