Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

I like the general thread. Easier to follow along, don't see the same subject posted/discussed in different threads. Nothing that really needs a separate thread at this time.

There's minimal interference by the moderators.

Edited by Mark F

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no problem with the all encompassing threads. However, I also like separate threads if the news is big or major rather than burying it in a thread with 300 or more posts. That's my take.

I think this is exactly the way it is... Tristan Okpolungo signs... that's a thread...

Dominick Jackson signs.... that's a Bombers off-season transaction... :D

Also agree with having a megathread for smaller news items. Like the kind about 5 players being released at the end of an Ed Tait article. Then opening it up for larger news items to have their own thread.

Sometimes its frustrating to catch up after a time away with a megathread, but the go to last seen post button is amazing. It also can be annoying to have multiple conversations ongoing at a time in one thread, but its better than 23 separate threads with 2 comments in them.

Could be worse like another bomber site with 15 topics with the same poster having a conversation with himself...

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Mark forum as read is a great feature!

I've had to take that a step further and go to "Hide Poster", which I generally don't like doing....but it just went too far.....

14 hours ago, Mike said:

You know, as much as I've really made a conscious decision to try and be more respectful to a few posters here who I've certainly been overly critical ... this one just doesn't sit well with me.

1) I have already said in this thread that I really have no preference and I'm fine with going the route of least resistance.

2) There literally could not be less true words that the ones that suggest this site has evolved to a state of "what Mike wants is what happens." I'm probably the least active staff member on this entire forum and I've been debating a decision to remove myself from the staff here because of that very reason. Rich and I should not be held in equal regard as far as "titles" on this forum go. Rich is the owner and I'm very much just holding onto a title I don't deserve at this point.

3) If you go back and look at past offseasons, I've usually been the one creating the majority share of the individual signing threads. It's foolish and just plain wrong to suggest I'm not a proponent of them considering the method you're suggesting I don't like is the exact method I've used in past offseasons until we tried to give this cumulative thread a shot this offseason.

4) We don't stifle "thread originators" or whatever babble you were referring to. You feel this way because your threads are occasionally stifled because you love to hear yourself talk and have so much self importance that you think every thought that enters your head is worth a brand new thread. Most of us have tuned them out by now. 

So yeah. There's my opinion on that I suppose. For everyone else: let's try to continue the general thread then maybe open it up to discussion to see what everyone prefers once we get to TC?

My point is to let our site evolve and not have agendas at all ..... let the members decide what they want to do and what they want to support

Of course we don't need an identical piece of news to be the source of 3 different start up threads ... neither do we need to merge every thread that is even slightly tangentially related ... if a member thinks an item discussion worthy let them post : it will thrive or sputter and die .... both are fine ... its the posters' interest that determines and no one seems to be able to predict what will catch the members' fancy ... its all about what is fun and interesting, not about artificial rules otherr than we have to keep order and social norms

The thing that has to go on this site is ego-ism ..... its the opposite of humility and mutual respect ... on promotes discussion and exchange the other kills it

As to you Mike you are a leader on this site and what you say counts for a lot .... your opinion is highly respected but that doesn't always make it right or the best, its just good ... sometimes someone else's opinion is better, every once in a while .... more often it is just different ... if you a leader you are going to take some heat, its just the nature of the beast, and we do need leadership

So Mike you can take this personally or you can continue to lead and I hope your choice is leadership however uncomfortable that may be .... you are a difference maker

36 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I probably laughed harder at that then I should have.

1 day less a month till the first pre season game. TC cant start soon enough. The last couple pages prove that. 

@bigg jay you can take IMWT from my cold dead hands. :lol:

Negative 29 days til the first preseason game?

What happen?

17 hours ago, Mike said:

You know, as much as I've really made a conscious decision to try and be more respectful to a few posters here who I've certainly been overly critical ... this one just doesn't sit well with me.

1) I have already said in this thread that I really have no preference and I'm fine with going the route of least resistance.

2) There literally could not be less true words that the ones that suggest this site has evolved to a state of "what Mike wants is what happens." I'm probably the least active staff member on this entire forum and I've been debating a decision to remove myself from the staff here because of that very reason. Rich and I should not be held in equal regard as far as "titles" on this forum go. Rich is the owner and I'm very much just holding onto a title I don't deserve at this point.

3) If you go back and look at past offseasons, I've usually been the one creating the majority share of the individual signing threads. It's foolish and just plain wrong to suggest I'm not a proponent of them considering the method you're suggesting I don't like is the exact method I've used in past offseasons until we tried to give this cumulative thread a shot this offseason.

4) We don't stifle "thread originators" or whatever babble you were referring to. You feel this way because your threads are occasionally stifled because you love to hear yourself talk and have so much self importance that you think every thought that enters your head is worth a brand new thread. Most of us have tuned them out by now. 

So yeah. There's my opinion on that I suppose. For everyone else: let's try to continue the general thread then maybe open it up to discussion to see what everyone prefers once we get to TC?

whatever you want Mike, you be the boss..

;) 

people whine about the lamest stuff during off-season.

6 hours ago, WildPath said:

Also agree with having a megathread for smaller news items. Like the kind about 5 players being released at the end of an Ed Tait article. Then opening it up for larger news items to have their own thread.

Sometimes its frustrating to catch up after a time away with a megathread, but the go to last seen post button is amazing. It also can be annoying to have multiple conversations ongoing at a time in one thread, but its better than 23 separate threads with 2 comments in them.

Could be worse like another bomber site with 15 topics with the same poster having a conversation with himself...

I've told Colin he should close Ourbombers permanently but he won't do it. Thus you have one or 2 guys talking to themselves like they're zombies. Or some guy claiming to have insider news when he doesn't & being obnoxious at the same time. No one wants to get involved in garbage threads like that. I think he somehow holds up hope that an influx of former members will come back & OB will return to its former status but it won't happen.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

i could go either way on mega threads or individual threads, but I'm curious what makes 1 announcement more deserving than another for it's own thread?  Using the above 2 mentioned transactions, is it because Okpalaugo has previously played in the CFL vs Jackson who is a rookie? Or is it because Okpalaugo is likely to start where at best Jackson will be a back up to Hardrick?

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

42 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i could go either way on mega threads or individual threads, but I'm curious what makes 1 announcement more deserving than another for it's own thread?  Using the above 2 mentioned transactions, is it because Okpalaugo has previously played in the CFL vs Jackson who is a rookie? Or is it because Okpalaugo is likely to start where at best Jackson will be a back up to Hardrick?

I think it mainly has to do with spelling and pronunciation.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

And it's Ogopogo, thank you very much... 

Speaking of which, here's the logo of our WHL team:

Image result for kelowna rockets

That's Ogopogo.  Apparently.  Holding a hockey stick. What that has to do with "Rockets" I don't know.  

Image result for rocky the raccoon kelowna rockets

Our team mascot is Rockie the Racoon.   I assume his name is Rockie because of the Rockets.  Not sure why he's a racoon.

What any of this has to do with hockey is beyond me, other than the hockey stick Ogopogo is holding I guess.  And yes, they smoke a lot of weed here.