Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Just now, wbbfan said:

I dont think its a race thing. Trent corney is probably our best athlete on the team. Cam judge was the best athlete in this draft. etc

I think its a teams focusing talent at other positions thing. The size and athleticism of RBs coming out for instance. 

For a long time if you had size any talent and or athletic ability you got pulled to the OL quickly. 

they might not have the same vertical ability and probably can't make up for the difference in height.

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

they might not have the same vertical ability and probably can't make up for the difference in height.

Corney jumped out of a pool back wards and judges best vert was 42". 

I think the difference is that half the draft classes played basketball as a primary sport before football. Which is the most run/jump oriented major sport. And the other half didnt. 

For everyone freaking out about NI Rec, this is Demski's last year on his ELC in Sask, and we all know what a diehard Bombers fan he's been his whole life. I'd really like to see some groundwork being laid behind the scenes to make sure he's ready to head east as soon as Feb rolls around next year....

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For everyone freaking out about NI Rec, this is Demski's last year on his ELC in Sask, and we all know what a diehard Bombers fan he's been his whole life. I'd really like to see some groundwork being laid behind the scenes to make sure he's ready to head east as soon as Feb rolls around next year....

Great. Then we still have the same issue, just with a hometown boy instead.

(Demski hasn't really shown me much) (that being said, I do think he will improve, so I shouldn't write him off)

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It seems like we allways have THAT guy in the league. The one that is totally bomber bound when he hits FA. Harris a side not a lot of them seem to pan out. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Thank you baby Jesus!

I frequently see Evan Gill and he has hinted multiple times he could be considering signing with the Bombers at the end of his contract.

I'm always blinded by the "hometown" thing and a guy who legitimately would be stoked to wear the colours, but I really feel like that kid is LOADED with potential as both a returner and receiving threat...

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It seems like we allways have THAT guy in the league. The one that is totally bomber bound when he hits FA. Harris a side not a lot of them seem to pan out. 

Does it though? I mean there's lots of wishful thinking from the fans but as far as the actuality I don't think there's ever a lot of serious talk about guys wanting to come him, but there was with Harris and there is with Demski so we shall see. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Does it though? I mean there's lots of wishful thinking from the fans but as far as the actuality I don't think there's ever a lot of serious talk about guys wanting to come him, but there was with Harris and there is with Demski so we shall see. 

Yeah, and the difference between a guy who can have an impact and a back up is pretty big. 

Harris also came here at 30 when his time in BC was done. Glad to have him of course, but its not like he hit his first FA period and bolted here no matter what. 

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

part of that is also reliant on who is managing the team and if they want that player. 

...and if that player wants to play for that management team...

I think a bigger contributor to a guy "returning home" is getting prepared for post-football life... the CFL, unlike other professional leagues, does not set one up financially for retirement life... so if a guy wants to finish a degree or start working in his hometown, it makes perfect sense to want to return home near the end of his career...

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

part of that is also reliant on who is managing the team and if they want that player. 

Yup,  I know for a fact Eddie Steele wanted to play here, but I'm guessing between $$ and playing/position style it just wasn't a fit. It takes two to tango.

24 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Apology accepted. 

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/05/ed-taits-handy-dandy-guide-cfl-draft/

“Receiver is an interesting one. We only started one (Canadian) receiver last year… that will be an ongoing question, I’m guessing. Generally, the Canadian receiver plays the wide-field receiver and there’s just not enough footballs to go out there. The days of the Canadian slotbacks having impacts on the game are minimal and I think teams will always be looking for that Canadian slotback that can be a 1,000-yard receiver, but it’s been a few years since you had an impact Canadian slotback come into this game but you’re always looking for one of those, as well.”

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Sounds to me like he values Canadian RECs.....just doesn't think there are many (any?) out there who can be impact players...

Mentioned that the best receiver was a former quarterback and that Getzlaf was a late round pick...  wouldn't say he doesn't value the position but I'd say that Richards was probably the last high pick used on a receiver for a while...

41 minutes ago, Floyd said:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/05/ed-taits-handy-dandy-guide-cfl-draft/

“Receiver is an interesting one. We only started one (Canadian) receiver last year… that will be an ongoing question, I’m guessing. Generally, the Canadian receiver plays the wide-field receiver and there’s just not enough footballs to go out there. The days of the Canadian slotbacks having impacts on the game are minimal and I think teams will always be looking for that Canadian slotback that can be a 1,000-yard receiver, but it’s been a few years since you had an impact Canadian slotback come into this game but you’re always looking for one of those, as well.”

I think it's reasonable enough to say that he doesn't see it as a glaring need, but I think we knew that.  That's more than saying he doesn't value it at all.  It's all in the context of how you view that response I suppose.

Just now, TrueBlue said:

I think it's reasonable enough to say that he doesn't see it as a glaring need, but I think we knew that.  That's more than saying he doesn't value it at all.  It's all in the context of how you view that response I suppose.

yeah i see your point, I also think Nichols isn't the quarterback we really want to be throwing those long passes anyways. In Ottawa Burris throws to the wide side with a flick of his wrist. They probably would value that position a little more than our offence would i'm guessing.