Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

RE: Waggoner- a first rounder who cannot make it off the special teams roster in two years has to be considered a bad pick, but that's the nature of the draft process- legalized gambling, really. Too bad he didn't come to that conclusion a month ago. 

RE: Apodaca what an arm- very much like Dunigan in his prime, only without Dunigan's wheels.

Edited by tracker

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah took a glance at the misses in the first round over the past 5 years and the size of that pool is freaking massive. Too bad i liked what he brought on teams and would have liked to see what he could do in reps.

That arm, wow. Gets rid of the ball quickly too, and a good athlete. Hes like an athletic MBT, but young enough to be a reasonable developmental guy.

http://www.accac.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/austinapodacalkag?view=profile

Mesa community college seems to be his largest sample size post hs. 

233/394- 59.1% - 2534 yards - 27 tds - 9 ints. 0 sacks wow. 

Looks to be a good prospect, good arm, athletic ability and composure.  4th on the ladder so he's a decent replacement for Bennett.

8 minutes ago, tracker said:

RE: Waggoner- a first rounder who cannot make it off the special teams roster in two years has to be considered a bad pick, but that's the nature of the draft process- legalized gambling, really. Too bad he didn't come to that conclusion a month ago. 

RE: Apodaca what an arm- very much like Dunigan in his prime, only without Dunigan's wheels.

Really not, especially for a guy who played 2 years. If any thing labels him a bust its only playing 2 years. Look at what most of the top of that draft class has done in the cfl and look what waggoner has done. 

Better wheels then dunigan for sure. Dunigan was more buck esq in his era. Now dunigans heart, football instincts, accuracy, and especially leadership are another matter. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Really not, especially for a guy who played 2 years. If any thing labels him a bust its only playing 2 years. Look at what most of the top of that draft class has done in the cfl and look what waggoner has done. 

Better wheels then dunigan for sure. Dunigan was more buck esq in his era. Now dunigans heart, football instincts, accuracy, and especially leadership are another matter. 

That's kind of what I was thinking too... if he was a great special teams player for 10 years and captioned the group, etc... I would definitely not consider that a bust... 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

To say he was a bust doesn't mean he was totally useless... to draft a guy in the first round who looks like he could be a starter... and he ends up being a good special teamer for only two years.... that's a bust... sure, had some nice contributions, but the bar is set higher for first round picks... 

Not going to bother dwelling on it... but I wonder if that would've changed the team's mind on (one of the) Herdman(s) in the 5th or 6th round knowing we were losing Waggoner... 

Honestly don't understand how the Herdman's factor in.  Athletically they are both borderline CFLers.  The Bombers retained Hurl, signed Miles, drafted Conteh, signed Mike Miller.  They are covered.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Looks to be a good prospect, good arm, athletic ability and composure.  4th on the ladder so he's a decent replacement for Bennett.

scouts probably had their eyes on this guy for a while which made Bennett expendable. Kid can definitely run, 4.7 at his Height and size is not a bad time by any means.

Edited by Gotmilt

2 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

scouts probably had their eyes on this guy for a while which made Bennett expendable. Kid can definitely run, 4.7 at his Height and size is not a bad time by any means.

Watching him run, hes really a first step/burst guy. Not a long strider. Which is even better at QB then a guy who runs 4.4 but relies on break away speed. Id say watching him he plays faster then 4.7 though he didnt seem like a great fit in the triple option. 

40 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

We could have had Singleton with that pick. :(

Could've. Almost certainly would not have though. Calgary was just miles a head of every one else in scouting him. Like we were with loffler. I really think we would have gotten the same 2 just higher up. 

That said we dont have the best record with supplemental guys. Its even more of a gamble then the draft. But as bad as our NI talent was at that point I dont blame them for grabbing a here and now guy rather then waiting a year. If a guy in the supplemental can make your team I think you are virtually allways better off taking them. 

19 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Waggoner is a mediocre player and is no big loss. How bad of a selection that was has really gone under the radar around here.

Yes it has.  I'm curious also about his roster bonus he likely collected before he retired too.  Seems retirements are more funny and discussion worthy when they happen elsewhere

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You know the season is close when the rider fans start coming out of their holes. 

They do have to come up for air once in a while.

What with, what seems to be weekly, Jone's missteps and transgressions. I'm interested to see if a weekly newsletter will be put out to deal exclusively with his continuing deeds.

Seems this song would have been appropriate....

ME AND MR JONES

The Riders and Mr. Jones
They've got a thing goin'on
They both know that it's wrong
But it's much too strong
To let it go now

They meet every day at the internet cafe
Six-thirty and no one knows he'll be there
Flipping coins and making all kinds of plans
While the juke box plays his favourite songs

The fans gotta be extra careful
That they don't build their hopes up too high
Because he ignores his obligations
And the fans turn a blind eye.

The Riders and Mr. Jones
They've got a thing goin'on
They both know that it's wrong

But Mr Jones, he don't care 

If he let's the fans down

(With apologies to the original writers of this song...)

21 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Waggoner is a mediocre player and is no big loss. How bad of a selection that was has really gone under the radar around here.

We gave up our 1st round pick in 16 after we selected him in the 2015 Supplemental Draft. Considering what he contributed, I wouldn't call him a total bust but a wasted pick instead. Not worth forfeiting the second overall pick in the CFL Draft. We need to stay away from the supplemental draft, first Poblah & now Waggoner.

46 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This place is far superior.

I dont really care which is superior or not. 

As long as it is Bombers discussion. 

Are you a Riders fan? Cause only Riders fan has that mentality. Hello we are superior than you! ?

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We gave up our 1st round pick in 16 after we selected him in the 2015 Supplemental Draft. Considering what he contributed, I wouldn't call him a total bust but a wasted pick instead. Not worth forfeiting the second overall pick in the CFL Draft. We need to stay away from the supplemental draft, first Poblah & now Waggoner.

What's the difference

On 5/13/2017 at 1:27 PM, Floyd said:

What's the difference

Reasonable expectations. 

Some guys get picked high either due to hype, extreme reaches, or weak drafts. A guy like jamarcus russell isnt a bust like ryan leaf. Russell was  a horrible pick. 

A guy like ki jana carter is different because he just suffered some freak injuries and was never able to stay healthy. Same with bo jackson.

Waggoner was that type to, was a good pro, never really got much of a chance to play on D and retired before he could. No chance he was gonna take a job from one of our starters last year. 

We had super weak NI talent and needed help right away. We got it from him, but only on teams. Not so much a bust, as a disappointment imop.  

Edited by wbbfan