Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

NICE!!!  Its the first 'so and so thinks he knows more than the coaches... eye roll nudge nudge wink wink' post!!!  Football season must be just around the corner.

3dXuB58.gif

next up is the insider info post, so and so rookie to replace denmark/johnson, and asap the lets jump all over insert back up QB here, nuts. 

3 hours ago, mbrg said:

Or he had a bad camp.

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Just goes to emphasis how difficult it is to assess a boat load of talented players in 3 short days in the artificial environment of the mini-camp.  Especially receivers and D-backs who have never dealt with the waggle before.   In the end they have to cut numbers and do their best to make the right decisions....not easy.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Just goes to emphasis how difficult it is to assess a boat load of talented players in 3 short days in the artificial environment of the mini-camp.  Especially receivers and D-backs who have never dealt with the waggle before.   In the end they have to cut numbers and do their best to make the right decisions....not easy.

thats a great point. You have a small window to try and get an entire picture. Adjusting the waggle, yard off the ball, and on top of that 1 on 1s isnt a strong suit for some guys. 

14 hours ago, mbrg said:

Or he had a bad camp.

Bingo. In an interview last year in Saskatchewan he said that he had a terrible mini camp with the Bombers and was grateful to get another opportunity in the league. He admitted that he was too nervous and couldn't catch a ball.

21 hours ago, Floyd said:

NICE!!!  Its the first 'so and so thinks he knows more than the coaches... eye roll nudge nudge wink wink' post!!!  Football season must be just around the corner.

3dXuB58.gif

Spice Girls Chess Rankings:

1) Ginger Spice

2) Scary Spice

3) Sporty Spice

4) Posh Spice

5) Baby Spice

And there is the first talent ranking of the year based on jack-**** total zero for knowledge.  No wait.  Sorry.  That was this claim:

On 5/1/2017 at 1:55 PM, wbbfan said:

but smith would at worst be no2 going into camp. I imagine that cut was to do with some thing other then talent. 

Just keep snorting the condiments Floyd.

37 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Don't think they're overly concerned about the 5th receiver. JFG will be fine and if we're lucky then Richards will step up

This... People need to forget about the whole "elite level NI Rec" thing. Why would you even want Getzlaf? For what we ask them to do, I'm more than happy with who we have... 

2 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

So now that the draft is over and the Bombers not appearing to have any sort of NI starting receiver...what is the likely hood of Getzlaf being signed or do you think there may be some sort of trade still to come?

Getzlaf doesn't play field-side wideout.  

You're talking about a position that gets 3-5 targets a game.  There are fairly serviceable guys on the roster right now that can handle this job. 

45 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Getzlaf doesn't play field-side wideout.  

You're talking about a position that gets 3-5 targets a game.  There are fairly serviceable guys on the roster right now that can handle this job. 

regardless of how many targets i think they're looking at this wrong.

Nobody is afraid of JFG on the wide side and can easily just put their weakest cb out there in man coverage. Teams will give us that all day. If you put a real threat out there teams have to respect it.

50 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

regardless of how many targets i think they're looking at this wrong.

Nobody is afraid of JFG on the wide side and can easily just put their weakest cb out there in man coverage. Teams will give us that all day. If you put a real threat out there teams have to respect it.

No they won't, because it's the farthest and most difficult throw for a QB to make... 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

No they won't, because it's the farthest and most difficult throw for a QB to make... 

Anthony Parker, Nate Coehoorn, Ianuzzi, and not sure who plays the pos in Sask but ill tell you now they're all better than JFG.

3 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Anthony Parker, Nate Coehoorn, Ianuzzi, and not sure who plays the pos in Sask but ill tell you now they're all better than JFG.

And just how many "elite" Canadians do you think that any team can afford to carry?  It's not always about getting the best player.  Sometimes it's getting the best player you can afford.  So maybe JFG/Richards are those players.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

And just how many "elite" Canadians do you think that any team can afford to carry?  It's not always about getting the best player.  Sometimes it's getting the best player you can afford.  So maybe JFG/Richards are those players.

agreed but i don't think that position should have been completely ignored when making the budget for the season.

There is no single correct way to structure the ratio.  You amass as much talent as you can.  The cap plays a significant role in that.

One of the ways teams have had success is by playing two NIs at receiver.  I'd like the Bombers to have that flexibility as well, because it's still against some obscure rule to start 3 guys at center.  If Harris is out for a month, then what?  Starting two canucks at receiver is a sound plan B.  It's also not the only one.  My preference is to keep Bond where he is because he is awesome, rather than moving to 3 NI Olinemen, or starting another NI on D.  Getting more Canadian receiving talent on the roster is just plain smart.

All that said, Getzlaf is out of our price range.

25 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

agreed but i don't think that position should have been completely ignored when making the budget for the season.

There's currently 4 guys who will battle for playing time at that position this season so it's not being ignored. 

I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.  

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It is if u throw it to them as a zone buster. But you can use that spot to stretch the D, run off dbs with rub plays for other guys etc. It is a spot defenses traditionally sag on, which opens up blocking miss matches. 

Ottawa had 4 wrs with more receiving yards then our highest. Its not a thing of finding an elite ni wr, its improving a weak spot. Currently that is our softest NI spot. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

It is if u throw it to them as a zone buster. But you can use that spot to stretch the D, run off dbs with rub plays for other guys etc. It is a spot defenses traditionally sag on, which opens up blocking miss matches. 

Ottawa had 4 wrs with more receiving yards then our highest. Its not a thing of finding an elite ni wr, its improving a weak spot. Currently that is our softest NI spot. 

Well seems like most teams have decided NI receivers aren't important.  To me I'd play 2-3 there/RB and load up imports on the OL.  The quality of NI OL has been bad this entire decade.  Easier to develop decent receivers, especially when the guys throwing to them have ample time.