Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

Just now, Mike said:

You just said the site isn't busy, then you said there's a thread with 13 topics all being discussed at once. Which is it?

theres a thread for a reason. (I'll be moving this once I'm not on mobile) 

Your policy sucks

Just now, Mike said:

You just said the site isn't busy, then you said there's a thread with 13 topics all being discussed at once. Which is it?

theres a thread for a reason. (I'll be moving this once I'm not on mobile) 

The site is not too busy too discuss every transaction made by the bombers in a separate thread.

Just my opinion.

Just now, Gotmilt said:

The site is not too busy too discuss every transaction made by the bombers in a separate thread.

Just my opinion.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the intent is to have an area for our more casual readers to be able to catch up. If all the information is in a single thread, it's easy for them to find it. 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the intent is to have an area for our more casual readers to be able to catch up. If all the information is in a single thread, it's easy for them to find it. 

Thanks for the explanation. While i don't necessarily agree, I understand :) 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Interesting that they still projected him a late round pick, despite all his "faults".

I like the pick-up, if only for TCF. Maybe he sticks around on the PR and develops.

It definitely makes you consider the level of competition he faced in the SEC and how it compares to the CFL.

Just a note... if this thread is for the casual reader - the actual signing is two pages of arguing away... Cole's is further...

probably easier for the casual people to keep up if each signing ended up with its own thread and then there was just a massive updated roster thread pinned

Edited by Floyd

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Just a note... if this thread is for the casual reader - the actual signing is two pages of arguing away... Cole's is further...

probably easier for the casual people to keep up if each signing ended up with its own thread and then there was just a massive updated roster thread pinned

Totally agree.  Ever since we started cramming everything into two massive mega-threads, participation has been way down on the site.

What some boards would do is have a info only thread separate from the discussion thread.

For example, I've seen this on Star Wars forums where there is a lot of activity.  So they'd have a thread where you can only post the info (tweets or whatever) and NO discussion.  Then a separate discussion thread.  That does make it easier for casual visitors to see the info.

Personally, I prefer this site as is, maybe because im here often.  But the discussion and insight is as good, if not better, then the mere facts posted.

If someone comes along and thinks a thread to catch up is too long, they will then know they should visit more often!

7 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Thanks for the explanation. While i don't necessarily agree, I understand :) 

I believe the opposite is true Mike .... no body wants to go through long long threads .... the only way is to start on the last page and go backwards towards the middle ... very frustrating

You also can not see the differing sub thread topics that occur in the giant thread ... the ones that interest you and the ones that don't

We used to have a lot of topics but originators kept getting chided by mods as "covered elsewhere" or out rigy merged one thread into another without our say in the matter .... having a thread closed or frozen was considered punishment  for being a bad do-bee.

Long threads are an enforced culture around here and if we want to be happy we can't really change it

Mike let it be known it was better for him to have fewer threads and thats what we have evolved to .... as Mike likes ... for better or for worse

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't think TCF should get a thread on it's own. 

40 separate threads about signing some guy from from somewhere U before camp and 40 separate threads about some guy from somewhere U getting cut at the end of camp...I'm fine with the superthread.

If a player transaction is worthy of his own thread it's usually obvious.

All that said, it's definitely time we overthrow Mike.

Just now, mbrg said:

40 separate threads about signing some guy from from somewhere U before camp and 40 separate threads about some guy from somewhere U getting cut at the end of camp...I'm fine with the superthread.

All that said, it's definitely time we overthrow Mike.

Yes!! Pitchforks! Feathers! Hot bitumen! Rallies! Oh, darn, there's a hockey game on.

7 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Ya the issue is precedent. If we go away from encompassing threads, then it's a free for all and that REALLY sucks. Maintain the status quo and if people don't like it, spend more time here so you don't fall behind! 

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

Mike let it be known it was better for him to have fewer threads and thats what we have evolved to .... as Mike likes ... for better or for worse

You know, as much as I've really made a conscious decision to try and be more respectful to a few posters here who I've certainly been overly critical ... this one just doesn't sit well with me.

1) I have already said in this thread that I really have no preference and I'm fine with going the route of least resistance.

2) There literally could not be less true words that the ones that suggest this site has evolved to a state of "what Mike wants is what happens." I'm probably the least active staff member on this entire forum and I've been debating a decision to remove myself from the staff here because of that very reason. Rich and I should not be held in equal regard as far as "titles" on this forum go. Rich is the owner and I'm very much just holding onto a title I don't deserve at this point.

3) If you go back and look at past offseasons, I've usually been the one creating the majority share of the individual signing threads. It's foolish and just plain wrong to suggest I'm not a proponent of them considering the method you're suggesting I don't like is the exact method I've used in past offseasons until we tried to give this cumulative thread a shot this offseason.

4) We don't stifle "thread originators" or whatever babble you were referring to. You feel this way because your threads are occasionally stifled because you love to hear yourself talk and have so much self importance that you think every thought that enters your head is worth a brand new thread. Most of us have tuned them out by now. 

So yeah. There's my opinion on that I suppose. For everyone else: let's try to continue the general thread then maybe open it up to discussion to see what everyone prefers once we get to TC?