Cuts and Keepers

Nolby

10 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

The third strings may have been playing against lesser comp but usually our 3rd stringers are getting rolled over on. 

yes this is definitely the strongest back-ups I've seen on the field in a long time.  Kudos to Kyle.  Good job guys.

heres my 44 based on the game last night

willy nicholls davis

harris flanders lochard

bryant daniels goossen chungh neufeld couture

dressler smith mayo d.adams kohlert richards mcduffie

westerman shologan cummings hubbard corney thomas butcher

bass wild leggett waggonner burnett rush briggs sherman

(not sure if hurl s ready for wk1)

randle posey m.harris b.johnson bucknor jones loffler fogg

(not sure if j.adams is ready for wk1)

medlock rempel

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not a fan of Anderson's running style.  He does too much lateral running.  Flanders is more one cut and get upfield, which is key in zone blocking.  Anderson is only going to make it as a kick returner IMO, and I think we probably have a few options ahead of him there.

I agree! I'm a fan of Anderson, but he's got better players ahead of him in the running back and returner spot,

Really don't see how McDuffie doesn't end up being our kick returner. The dude's got game.

He's got the high end top speed, shifty moves and an ability to shed tackles. He only needs a small crease and he's gone.

As a receiver all of those skills translate quite well. Get him into open space and he makes the first guy miss every time.

He's gotta catch the ball, though.

Wasn't impressed with the pick that McGuffie caused -- nicely thrown ball clanks off his hands at the five yard line and boom its intercepted and the drive is snuffed out.

That's a terrible mistake to make in the red zone in your first pre-season game.

(That was McGuffie, right?  I don't have a replay handy)

33 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Really don't see how McDuffie doesn't end up being our kick returner. The dude's got game.

He's got the high end top speed, shifty moves and an ability to shed tackles. He only needs a small crease and he's gone.

As a receiver all of those skills translate quite well. Get him into open space and he makes the first guy miss every time.

He also has to prove that he is a disciplined route runner if he wants the receiver job.

3 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Wasn't impressed with the pick that McGuffie caused -- nicely thrown ball clanks off his hands at the five yard line and boom its intercepted and the drive is snuffed out.

That's a terrible mistake to make in the red zone in your first pre-season game.

Don't give me none of your guff ?, the man's name is McDuffie..

Pretty amazing preseason game where it doesn't look like anyone played themselves straight off the team.

With all those promising receivers in camp, is there any way that Darvin Adams might get beat out?

Edited by johnzo

20 minutes ago, johnzo said:

No doubt he has to catch it. More of a lack of concentration thing. I think he'll end up being a good one. He has gamebreaker written all over him. 

36 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Pretty amazing preseason game where it doesn't look like anyone played themselves straight off the team.

Best possible result in my opinion. Made it tough on the coaches. The running backs took turns making plays and staking a claim for work, enough receivers showed up and made some catches. I thought all the qbs looked fine, Willy just needs to get the timing down but that'll come, he made good reads all the time he was in.  Defensive line looked so much better than last year, linebackers should be good. DBs maybe had it rough early on but it was also pretty soft vanilla stuff back there which is just asking for a guy like Glenn to get into a groove. 

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The problem I see with Anderson is that he is a small RB and needs space to look good, As we saw with Cotton unless there is a good hole smaller backs can be easily rendered ineffective.  Flanders seems to have some power and can break tackles as well as run well in the open field, more like Andrew Harris in that regard.

Anderson is certainly smaller, but that isnt a big issue to me. 1) weve seen high usage durable small backs in this league before. Its not nearly as big an issue as in the nfl. Lbers are a ton bigger then Dbs and Des are only a bit bigger on average then LBers. A side from the odd miracle worker all rbs need a hole. If the OL gets gaps eliminated unless you have an off tackle play called its making the best of a bad situation. 

If any thing the type of runner anderson is he has more of a chance then flanders if no hole is available. Hes shown the ability to scrape the line and find the edge, cut back in a small window and make people miss. Flanders is bigger, but he will still only push through bad angle arm tackles. He took advantage of good gaps and basically ran to defenders. He isnt a tackle breaker, he doesnt seem to have the ability to move a pile even small groups of LBers. Anderson's ability to be a threat returning kicks, and being a change of pace from harris is a great fit for us. If it was for a no1 rb, id say split carrys feature flanders and let anderson be the change of pace back again. His skill set is just really well set up for that. But luckily we have harris to start. 

A low potential grinder of a rb flanders doesnt seem to do any thing poorly. But he doesnt do any thing great either. Hes the kind of guy thatll run for 4 or 5 yards with a decent push from the Ol with high regularity. Not a bad fit at all for the cfl, but a guy like that needs a lot of touches to be effective. 

I cannot remember a time when we saw our draft picks, plus, get in a game and get noticed, in a good way.

Corney on D, nice sacks and stuffing the line. 

Couture filling in on the O-Line.

Loffler, looking like a safety.

Butcher, slicing up the D.

Intzandt getting some 'real' reps.

Even John Rush got some action.

Nice to see..

13 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I cannot remember a time when we saw our draft picks, plus, get in a game and get noticed, in a good way.

Corney on D, nice sacks and stuffing the line. 

Couture filling in on the O-Line.

Loffler, looking like a safety.

Butcher, slicing up the D.

Intzandt getting some 'real' reps.

Even John Rush got some action.

Nice to see..

I said to 17to85 this morning: "When Butcher was a Manimal and got the deflection which was caught for INT by Waggoner, I'm pretty sure Walters was sporting a giant rager on the sidelines"

It's nice to see, at least for now, that the recruiting and CIS drafting is starting to pay off....

Edited by Noeller

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I said to 17to85 this morning: "When Butcher was a Manimal and got the deflection which was caught for INT by Waggoner, I'm pretty sure Walters was sporting a giant rager on the sidelines"

It's nice to see, at least for now, that the recruiting and CIS drafting is starting to pay off....

So... not judging or anything, but do the two of you talk about giant ragers a lot?