Cuts and Keepers

Nolby

I hope they keep Mayo and McDuffie.  They both did well last night.

I liked Flanders and Anderson also did a good job.  If I had to choose after one game, I'd probably go with Flanders.  He just seemed to have some decent runs.

Davis and Bennett did really well at QB.  I enjoyed watching them both.  Nichols, who we won't get rid of, was pretty meh out there.

Veltung didn't really blow me away considering what was thrown to him.  And who was it that ran that return near the end of the game and kept cutting across the field instead of just running straight up?  Was that Anderson or McDuffie?

I was quite impressed by a lot of the newcomers actually.

First mandatory cut day isn't until after our 2nd game (thanks to quirky scheduling) so we really don't have to cut anyone. They'll likely use that second game to further evaluate a few positions that have a really serious battle going on. MOS said in the post-game that they're going to take just north of 50 guys to Ottawa for Monday...

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I liked Flanders and Anderson also did a good job.  If I had to choose after one game, I'd probably go with Flanders.  He just seemed to have some decent runs.

Davis and Bennett did really well at QB.  I enjoyed watching them both.  Nichols, who we won't get rid of, was pretty meh out there.

Veltung didn't really blow me away considering what was thrown to him.  And who was it that ran that return near the end of the game and kept cutting across the field instead of just running straight up?  Was that Anderson or McDuffie?

This is true, but flanders tore it up later against lesser competition with more touches then anderson imop. Anderson is also a legit kick returner, I dont see flanders beating him out short of injury or monster game in ottawa and anderson looking bad.

1 minute ago, Logan007 said:

In regards to Flanders vs Anderson. Anderson didn't really have a chance to go against anyone in the 4th qtr. If I'm not mistaken most of his time came in the 2nd/some of the 3rd. I'd still go with Anderson over Flanders at this point as Anderson showed more early than Flanders did. This is assuming that more talented players were on the field for MTL earlier in the game.

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This is true, but flanders tore it up later against lesser competition with more touches then anderson imop. Anderson is also a legit kick returner, I dont see flanders beating him out short of injury or monster game in ottawa and anderson looking bad.

The problem I see with Anderson is that he is a small RB and needs space to look good, As we saw with Cotton unless there is a good hole smaller backs can be easily rendered ineffective.  Flanders seems to have some power and can break tackles as well as run well in the open field, more like Andrew Harris in that regard.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

15 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I will be very sad if they give Butcher the heave-ho.  He's going to be a fan favorite, no doubt about it.

He had a couple of beautiful plays. The knock down was great but I really liked him beating the double team to force a penalty.  

Corney showed his speed on a couple of plays. He just made one tackle look like a post. I don't like him as a kick off returner though. 

The problem of course is who are these plays against. Even with that I feel so excited compared this season.  Can't wait for the real thing to get going. 

I'm going to love see Corney coming in behind Westerman. They're going to wear out the hogs on the other side. Just keep going at them and going at them. By the fourth quarter, we should be getting to the QB regularly.

(That's how I see it in my head, at least.)