2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, the season starts around May 25th so if these protestors entrench themselves at Percival Molson Stadium, then what?? Also, I'm concerned about Princess Auto Stadium as it's on the campus of the U of M. What if protestors in Winnipeg do the same?

14 hours ago, Mark H. said:

If even one team can't play in their stadium, the season probably won't start. 

But in Winnipeg?  I could see Wade Miller getting that situation resolved. 

Yes. Miller would pull out a knife and fork and them protestors would head for the hills. 

19 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Yes. Miller would pull out a knife and fork and them protestors would head for the hills. 

I would hope not. 

7 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

CFL taking this seriously. Wasn't sure they would but there you have it.

Well, Kelly's character flaws have come to roost just as I and many other predicted. Bluto, I know this smarts but todaso. If he is able to come back after 9 games, and that is a big IF given his history, will that give the Toronto media enough time to annoint him MOP again over more deserving players? Maybe not the consummate leader but misunderstood pro you thought he was Bluto?

Edited by GCn20

Just makes that MOP award even more grimey and head shaking...But seen this coming 1000 miles away...and Kudos to the CFL for actually doing the right thing...esecially when it involved the Argo's premiere guy...he won't be missed league wide in the least while he is reflecting...Can't wait to see if he goes off on social media now..............

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Just makes that MOP award even more grimey and head shaking...But seen this coming 1000 miles away...and Kudos to the CFL for actually doing the right thing...esecially when it involved the Argo's premiere guy...he won't be missed league wide in the least while he is reflecting...Can't wait to see if he goes off on social media now..............

Putting my Blue and Gold glasses on firmly, ZC is a guy I'd go to war for, CK not so much.

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Cue 'Argo's courting Rourke' articles.

Didn't Rourke himself chime in on this CK issue?

He did. He chided the argos league office and Kelly deservedly so imo. 

wow this is kind of shocking. Using a league or team investigation is fast. The argos and Kelly just disputed the claim. Heavy handed late and right after the dispute is very peculiar. 

I am glad the league is taking a serious stance on this. 

17 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

T.O without a QB for half the season at best.....Curious about salary etc. as did he not get roughly 50% of his salary already in effect not giving the Argos a massive savings on his games missed?

From 3Downnation QB salary article,

The league’s reigning MOP restructured his three-year contract in January, cashing a $300,000 signing bonus in the process. The rest of his money for 2024 is scheduled to be paid in the form of a $144,200 base salary, $100,000 in non-football-related services to the team, a $20,000 training allowance, $13,800 in housing, and a $5,000 training allowance

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That's a pretty big penalty on Argos if they don't get relief on his bonus.

Even if they do tbh roster wise. The markets are tapped. I dont think route comes back this year, even if the argos get the bonus and cap hit back fully they have no way to replace him. 

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wonder what the CFLPA will be saying about this suspension 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

hopefully nothing.....and they support the leagues decision...any sqwuaking would be a horrible look in my opinion

I bet any thing they and Kelly will appeal it

Soooo...the tinfoil hat is coming out. Yesterday, Nathan Rourke looks close to possibly returning to the CFL, exactly a day later the league suspends Kelly for 9 games (probably longer). Hmmmm....if it is announced that the Argos will get a cap exemption on Kelly because of this one has to wonder about some things PARTICULARLY if after the dust settles Rourke is an Argo. Not saying Kelly doesn't deserve what he got. Just that the Argos may have not kicked up much of a fuss. IF Rourke were to sign with the Argos, I would have to wonder if behind the scenes the Argos were trying to get the league to push Kelly out and give them the cap relief on him.

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

See ya!

How many wake up calls does he need?

Guy clearly has 3 functioning brain cells. 

Just a disaster as a professional.

Edited by GCn20

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Soooo...the tinfoil hat is coming out. Yesterday, Nathan Rourke looks close to possibly returning to the CFL, exactly a day later the league suspends Kelly for 9 games (probably longer). Hmmmm....if it is announced that the Argos will get a cap exemption on Kelly because of this one has to wonder about some things PARTICULARLY if after the dust settles Rourke is an Argo. Not saying Kelly doesn't deserve what he got. Just that the Argos may have not kicked up much of a fuss. IF Rourke were to sign with the Argos, I would have to wonder if behind the scenes the Argos were trying to get the league to push Kelly out and give them the cap relief on him.

Just a disaster as 

Not a chance any of this happens.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not a chance any of this happens.

I didn't expect Rourke back in the CFL in 2024. However, this creates an opportunity / opening that didn't exist yesterday. The $300K advance payout to Kelly is an SMS issue and I have no idea if Rourke is remotely interested at the moment.

Lots of questions including will Kelly be banned from playing at a later date and his CFL career over? Will the league negate his contract and relieve the Argos of the SMS hit from the advance?

I’d be shocked if it happened - Rourke was pretty outspoken about the way this was all handled, it‘d be a real “money talks” situation if he were to turn around and sign with a team that tried to bury it 

The wording in the CFL statement is pretty clear and it's not a good look for the Argo's who filed a statement of defense last week stating they had no knowledge of this stuff and what they did know wasn't quite what she said. 

They say they are going be talking to the club about their role in this but if the investigation showed that Kelly clearly violated the policies, I don't see how there won't be punishment coming for the Argo's front office as well. 

The league came to its decision following a third-party investigation into the allegations made against Kelly, the league’s reigning Most Outstanding Player, by Toronto’s former strength and conditioning coach.

“Players are the ambassadors of our great game,” said CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie in a statement. “They are expected to be leaders in the locker room and role models in the community. It was important that we performed our due diligence to properly review this matter from all points of view. That in-depth investigation found that Mr. Kelly unequivocally violated the CFL’s gender-based violence policy.