One Last Tune-Up Before Playoffs - West Division Champs @ Donkeys: The Week Of Thread

Noeller

37 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Brown probably wouldn't consider any place he might end up second string with second string wages.  If so what's the point of moving on?  If he wants the bigger money, he's going to have to take a leap of faith and choose a team in dire straits willing to pay him starting wages.

Fair enough but controlling for how long they have this group of QB’s locked up and putting my Blue and Gold glasses on, one would think Dru Brown would be an starter upgrade for them. But hey, there’s 5-7 other suitors that may make a enticing pitch for services.

17 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Fair enough but controlling for how long they have this group of QB’s locked up and putting my Blue and Gold glasses on, one would think Dru Brown would be an starter upgrade for them. But hey, there’s 5-7 other suitors that may make a enticing pitch for services.

Can you name them?  Honestly don't see it as most teams are fairly invested in their starters and won't push them aside.  Say what you like about Fajardo but I would think Mtl. is fairly happy with his performance this season.  I guess if Dru Brown is happy to accept $200k, maybe there would be a list of teams willing to give him a whirl.

Edited by Fatty Liver

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Can you name them?  Honestly don't see it as most teams are fairly invested in their starters and won't push them aside.  Say what you like about Fajardo but I would think Mtl. is fairly happy with his performance this season.  I guess if Dru Brown is happy to accept $200k, there would be a list of teams willing to give him a whirl.

I see the first tier as Sask and Ottawa. Losing franchises held back by QB play. Will overpay if given the opportunity.

There’s the second tier of Montreal, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Hamilton. These teams could keep the status quo at WB, but are likely to check in and see what it would take.

BC and Toronto probably don’t have any interest.

I don't know if other teams see Dru Brown as a better option to what they have now, as much as fans here do. Like we all love him and think he's got a future but does Ottawa think he's better than Crum, when Crum had most of a season to get reps and Brown came in two or 3 times? 

Maybe someone in the know could advise, but Kenny L looked like he was dealing with something all year.  

He was not "engaged" in every game like he was in the past. Seemed his head was not in every game. 

Either way he is a player and we will need him to step up big time for the run. 

54 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't know if other teams see Dru Brown as a better option to what they have now, as much as fans here do. Like we all love him and think he's got a future but does Ottawa think he's better than Crum, when Crum had most of a season to get reps and Brown came in two or 3 times? 

DB has the look. 

One of my old coaches used to say you could tell alot about a player by the way they walk....

Dru has a future in this league. Hope it's with us. 

52 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Kenny Lawler 850 yards 6 TDs in 11 games

yeah, that's a nice 1250ish yard / 10 TD pace. I think those are pretty solid numbers for a guy who plays on a team with two other 1000 yard receivers and a feature back who soaks up 15 carries a game. 

I'm so glad we've got KL for the playoffs.

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Kenny Lawler 850 yards 6 TDs in 11 games

Lawler could get those numbers playing half arsed though. Not suggesting he has been at all, but I think that is what the OP was thinking. I personally think that a ton of what Lawler does on the field ends up in other receivers seeing bigger numbers.

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

DB being mentored by the best QB in the CFL might help.  

23 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

O'Shea mentioned this on the Coach's Show, "personal milestones are way down the list of team priorities".

exactly where they should be

19 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd like to see the Jeffs sit and have Habba, Garbut etc play. Fox over Thomas. Holm at S. Alston at WR. Basically treat it like a pre season game/reward for the PR dudes.

Hallet looked really good at safety last week

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yep, Brown might look a whole lot shakier playing behind the Sask. O-line.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I personally think that a ton of what Lawler does on the field ends up in other receivers seeing bigger numbers.

I think you could say that of any of our guys.  There's not a single one of them that can be safely ignored, they're all playmakers and a secondary has to account for every man of our starting five.

I think Lawler is gonna benefit from Schoen and Demski and Woli and Bailey just like those guys benefit from him.

5 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I think you could say that of any of our guys.  There's not a single one of them that can be safely ignored, they're all playmakers and a secondary has to account for every man of our starting five.

I think Lawler is gonna benefit from Schoen and Demski and Woli and Bailey just like those guys benefit from him.

Absolutely, but the effect each of those guys has on each other is not the same and that is not a knock on any of them but Schoen and Lawler definitely are game planned against to try neutralize them a lot more thoroughly than the rest.

Edited by GCn20

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

Crum is somewhat inconsequential to the decision for Ottawa because he’s on a rookie deal still next year.  They can have both.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Crum is somewhat inconsequential to the decision for Ottawa because he’s on a rookie deal still next year.  They can have both.

financially, for sure.... I think my thought is more that the RBs might see them as redundant. Both as "upside/potential yet unproven" guys, and would be looking for someone with more experience, if they've already got an "Our Next Guy" in the stable. I'm sure they'll hope to keep Piggy as the 3rd, so if they're going to bring someone in, it'd be more likely a proven veteran. I know those are in short supply, but just saying that's my thought on my why I think the RBs (and other teams) might not necessarily bring in Dru Brown... that they don't necessarily see him as a step above the Crums, Dolegalas, etc... of the league...

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

financially, for sure.... I think my thought is more that the RBs might see them as redundant. Both as "upside/potential yet unproven" guys, and would be looking for someone with more experience, if they've already got an "Our Next Guy" in the stable. I'm sure they'll hope to keep Piggy as the 3rd, so if they're going to bring someone in, it'd be more likely a proven veteran. I know those are in short supply, but just saying that's my thought on my why I think the RBs (and other teams) might not necessarily bring in Dru Brown... that they don't necessarily see him as a step above the Crums, Dolegalas, etc... of the league...

Tyrie Adams is likely their 2nd or 3rd string option, they might cut Piggy loose in the off-season.

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm sure they'll hope to keep Piggy as the 3rd

I'm not sure that's the case -- based on what I saw during the regular season, he wasn't super good in his short yardage role.

Pigrome's performance with the redblacks definitely validated the bombers' decision to cut him when Prukop came available.

Edited by johnzo

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think a team like ott or ham is an excellent fit for him. Gives you two guys to push each other. 
 Other wise I think a team like ssk will value him as a guy who this year ran the offensive of a winning team. Especially for teams that make qb changes.
the qb who showed good in some games and not others as a starter on a bad team is seldom highly valued. People look to QBs to change their fortune. 
 I think edm, ott, ham, ssk and mtl will all be in his ear for the odd season. 

I hope to see maybe a quarter of football with prukop running the option. I hope to see Demski rest and lawler + Bailey get a lot of looks. 
 Hoping that Richmond starts at one t spot with gray at the other Eli at c and Dobson at guard. I’d also like to see gmc get a lot of Carries like 15 or more. 
fox Habba garbutt and Lawson at dt with Cole and clements at lb. Des and Karamoko at db would be good. Like to see some young imps play s. If Darby is not fr hurt I’d put him in too. 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think you are being very hopeful.  I'm not really sure who a "proven veteran" is around right now.  They've had Arbuckle.  Brown is a veteran in this league right now.  

Yeah you could frame it as being a part of the best offense.  But we've seen a lot of different guys run this offense even back to Nichols.  McGuire gets in after two years and can't get more than a couple first downs in more than a half.

To me Brown is in the top 2 QB's we've had since Lapo came back...and yeah I'm including Nichols.  Streveler is kind of a different conversation because he can run a lot of gadget stuff as a role player, probably isn't a guy who will throw 450 passes in a good offense.

Brown will be in the top half of starting QB's in this league next season.

54-76 696 yards 4 TD 2 INT

89-136 1206 yards 12 TD 2 INT

Guess which one is Dru Brown and which one is Mike Reilly coming into their free agency off rookie deal...

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

We only know what Dru looks like on a great team with a great O line, Receivers and Running Back. We & the other teams have no idea if he can do it on a lesser team.

Great analysis.

I'm sure if the Bombers cut Collaros there'd be a lot of hesitation around him too since the other players here have been so great.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

As far as QB Brown goes, sure he plays with an excellent line up. He performs which does show his potential. He’s not a dolt on a very good squad that would still be a dolt on a shitty team. His performance proves he could be an important piece for some other squad.