One Last Tune-Up Before Playoffs - West Division Champs @ Donkeys: The Week Of Thread

Noeller

13 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

We only know what Dru looks like on a great team with a great O line, Receivers and Running Back. We & the other teams have no idea if he can do it on a lesser team.

For sure Brown has had the benefit of all of that. However, he has showed everything you look for in a QB as well. He has executed a very good offence at a very high level. He has shown poise under pressure, made great reads, and has been spot on in his accuracy after making his reads, and has protected the football. This will translate well for him to a lesser team. The only thing we have not seen, and no one can see until he gets his chance, is how he handles the pressure of being THE guy game after game. If he can stay strong mentally he can be successful in this league and just because he did it in our offence should not diminish his accomplishments thus far.

9 hours ago, Rod Black said:

As far as QB Brown goes, sure he plays with an excellent line up. He performs which does show his potential. He’s not a dolt on a very good squad that would still be a dolt on a shitty team. His performance proves he could be an important piece for some other squad. 

I agree. He's playing well above average on a great offence and running the full play book with success. There has been little drop off in execution with him behind centre. Does our offensive personnel make that easier...you bet. However, he still has to go out and execute no matter how good his team mates are and he has shown an ability to do so.

On 2023-10-24 at 2:56 PM, Booch said:

yeah me too....Why not try out an actual receiver in a receiver role....like his size to....Would also like to see Haba and Garbutt be the 2 ends for this game....

That and he doesn't end the season on the PR so not a FA next year.

42 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure Brown has had the benefit of all of that. However, he has showed everything you look for in a QB as well. He has executed a very good offence at a very high level. He has shown poise under pressure, made great reads, and has been spot on in his accuracy after making his reads, and has protected the football. This will translate well for him to a lesser team. The only thing we have not seen, and no one can see until he gets his chance, is how he handles the pressure of being THE guy game after game. If he can stay strong mentally he can be successful in this league and just because he did it in our offence should not diminish his accomplishments thus far.

I agree. He's playing well above average on a great offence and running the full play book with success. There has been little drop off in execution with him behind centre. Does our offensive personnel make that easier...you bet. However, he still has to go out and execute no matter how good his team mates are and he has shown an ability to do so.

That and he doesn't end the season on the PR so not a FA next year.

Thats why guys like FOX..Garbutt...Haba should be on for this game as well...we control them

Lots of young QB's look good on great teams but can't lead a team of their own. Take Arbuckle for example. He was going to be the next big QB then fizzled out when he was forced to do it on significantly worse teams. 

If I'm a team in need of a starting QB, I'm not pinning my hopes on a guy like Brown. I'm hedging my bets and bringing in two young backups and letting them both compete for the starting job. 

Love to see some young'ns getting a shot. Would have liked to see Dobson and Eli listed as starters with the vets on standby if anyone faltered... they'll at least get the second half I hope...? I would expect Auggie to take over at RB fairly early. Personally I'd be protecting Grant but whatever, can't rest everybody.

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Love to see some young'ns getting a shot. Would have liked to see Dobson and Eli listed as starters with the vets on standby if anyone faltered... they'll at least get the second half I hope...? I would expect Auggie to take over at RB fairly early. Personally I'd be protecting Grant but whatever, can't rest everybody.

I’m sure they’ll get lots of reps.

32 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

28 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I’m sure they’ll get lots of reps.

I’m betting they take over after a quarter. They might just want to give brown more of a shot with the ol for a bit. 

generally pretty happy with the roster for the season finale. Get Brady out quick and stay healthy. 

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So you will be happy with the roster...

more or less...too bad takes a nothing game to finally get some guys a shot, but is what it is this yr

Would have liked to see Lawrence on as well, and who is the 4th DA?...not shown unless my eyes playing tricks on me. Hopefully we get majority of Oline with Dobson and Eli running the show....the listed starters may just be that and not see much actual playtime....but I do like the over all look of who we have on and excited to see what a few of these guys can do

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

more or less...too bad takes a nothing game to finally get some guys a shot, but is what it is this yr

Would have liked to see Lawrence on as well, and who is the 4th DA?...not shown unless my eyes playing tricks on me. Hopefully we get majority of Oline with Dobson and Eli running the show....the listed starters may just be that and not see much actual playtime....but I do like the over all look of who we have on and excited to see what a few of these guys can do

Got to be either McGhee or Alston.  Doesn't really matter because both should get on the field at some point. I don't think Lawler or Bailey play the entire game. Parker / Houston will rotate with McGhee I suspect?

14 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

Got to be either McGhee or Alston.  Doesn't really matter because both should get on the field at some point. I don't think Lawler or Bailey play the entire game. Parker / Houston will rotate with McGhee I suspect?

didnt even notice they finally gave McGhee a shot...Likely its him based on the configuration

30 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Quite a different dline...I'm looking forward to watching schmekle because I really don't think I've seen him play and I want to see what, if anything, he can do. And this new receiver sounds interesting hope he gets some touches. 

don't expect much....we seen enough this yr...you should be excited about Fox and Garbutt

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Lots of young QB's look good on great teams but can't lead a team of their own. Take Arbuckle for example. He was going to be the next big QB then fizzled out when he was forced to do it on significantly worse teams. 

If I'm a team in need of a starting QB, I'm not pinning my hopes on a guy like Brown. I'm hedging my bets and bringing in two young backups and letting them both compete for the starting job. 

Absolutely agree. Brown has all the tools but having to put a team on your back has killed a ton of great looking prospects and there is absolutely no way of knowing whether it will or not until you give them the reins. Therefore, hedge your bets if you are going with a QB in his first year as the man.

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

don't expect much....we seen enough this yr...you should be excited about Fox and Garbutt

Shmekel is what he is. Depth and emergency NAT body. Alston intrigues me as well and I look forward to seeing him.

My daughter and I went to a pre season game this year... she even thought schmekel should be cut and she's 8. I said yeah he's training camp fodder, just a guy to make it seem like old Jake Thomas has something left in the tank. But here we are, dude still sucks. If u can't be out 40 year old Jake Thomas, you shouldn't be around. Ok not 40 but Jake is done and Schmekl still is worse 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

My daughter and I went to a pre season game this year... she even thought schmekel should be cut and she's 8. I said yeah he's training camp fodder, just a guy to make it seem like old Jake Thomas has something left in the tank. But here we are, dude still sucks. If u can't be out 40 year old Jake Thomas, you shouldn't be around. Ok not 40 but Jake is done and Schmekl still is worse 

32 is the new 40! Lol.