Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

32 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Funny story: My soon to be father in law lives in Winnipeg, he wants my fiancé and I to come out for the Banjo Bowl. He’s obviously a huge Bombers fan, and says if the Riders keep the loss to 20 points, dinner is on him! My fiancé isn’t a huge football fan, so she says she wants free dinner regardless.

I’m hoping we can make it out, fiancé is in school, so it makes it tougher. But flying Calgary to Winnipeg might not be too tough.

Riders need to keep it within 20 points?? Sorry friend, there's no chance you're getting that free dinner!  😜

46 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Funny story: My soon to be father in law lives in Winnipeg, he wants my fiancé and I to come out for the Banjo Bowl. He’s obviously a huge Bombers fan, and says if the Riders keep the loss to 20 points, dinner is on him! My fiancé isn’t a huge football fan, so she says she wants free dinner regardless.

I’m hoping we can make it out, fiancé is in school, so it makes it tougher. But flying Calgary to Winnipeg might not be too tough.

Let me know if you make it out.

Is Oliveira quietly putting together an MOP type season?

With injuries and BC/Winnipeg running away from the West it looks like no QB will hit 5000 yards and you might not see someone throw for 4000 depending on Collaros' injury.

At the halfway point, 703 Rushing yards and 274 Receiving Yards puts him on pace for almost 2000 yards from scrimmage. 1406 yards rushing would be the 4th most ever by a Canadian. Only on pace for 8 TDs which would probably need to come up a bit. He's been the focal point of a few 4th quarter, game sealing drives and is gaining a reputation as a back who is going to consistently eat clock for you in those situations. The bottom 4 teams for rushing yards against are MTL, CGY, HAM and EDM and wouldn't you know, that makes up 5 of the Bombers last 9 games.

19 minutes ago, KshyGuy said:

With injuries and BC/Winnipeg running away from the West it looks like no QB will hit 5000 yards and you might not see someone throw for 4000 depending on Collaros' injury.

At the halfway point, 703 Rushing yards and 274 Receiving Yards puts him on pace for almost 2000 yards from scrimmage. 1406 yards rushing would be the 4th most ever by a Canadian. Only on pace for 8 TDs which would probably need to come up a bit. He's been the focal point of a few 4th quarter, game sealing drives and is gaining a reputation as a back who is going to consistently eat clock for you in those situations. The bottom 4 teams for rushing yards against are MTL, CGY, HAM and EDM and wouldn't you know, that makes up 5 of the Bombers last 9 games.

I was wondering about MOC as I watched the game the other tonight....

On 2023-08-13 at 5:36 PM, KshyGuy said:

He’s been a beast. On much lower Carries than last year. The best rb in the league is Canadian again, and a Winnipeger. 
 He also happens to be even better this year at blocking.  He’s been phenomenal, soo happy for him 

Edmonton can't fire Jones without being severely hampered due to the Operations cap.  This is probably the only change they can make so they have the appearance of doing something for the fans and attendance.

If this is the reason for this, very unfortunate for Cui who gets handcuffed with a coach and GM he didn't hire and couldn't fire.

Not sure the operations cap is the best thing for the league.  Have to think that without it, Jones would have been fired long ago.   Imagine if we couldn't fire Joe Mack and Tim Burke because we didn't want to be hampered by the operations cap for the next couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Edmonton can't fire Jones without being severely hampered due to the Operations cap.  This is probably the only change they can make so they have the appearance of doing something for the fans and attendance.

If this is the reason for this, very unfortunate for Cui who gets handcuffed with a coach and GM he didn't hire and couldn't fire.

Not sure the operations cap is the best thing for the league.  Have to think that without it, Jones would have been fired long ago.   Imagine if we couldn't fire Joe Mack and Tim Burke because we didn't want to be hampered by the operations cap for the next couple of seasons.

No. I refuse to blame the league for Edmonton's incompetence. 

It's Edmonton's board who handed the keys to Jones. Gave him way too many roles, for way too many years, for way too much money BEFORE even hiring a team president.

Now people are trying to blame the league? Nope. Don't buy it.

How many staff's should a team be allowed to pay at once? Digging themselves in a hole so they can collect on the new league revenue sharing so we get to pay for their mistakes? F that.

Just now, Jesse said:

No. I refuse to blame the league for Edmonton's incompetence. 

It's Edmonton's board who handed the keys to Jones. Gave him way too many roles, for way too many years, for way too much money BEFORE even hiring a team president.

Now people are trying to blame the league? Nope. Don't buy it.

How many staff's should a team be allowed to pay at once? Digging themselves in a hole so they can collect on the new league revenue sharing so we get to pay for their mistakes? F that.

Particularly when we share revenue and have to bail these teams out. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

The operations cap also meant no contract extension for Kyle Walters this year. What are the odds he lands somewhere else next season along with Buck Pierce, Dru Brown and several others? I'd like to be optimistic but have a feeling that this 2023 season might be Bombers best shot at winning another cup for awhile ... I'd be OK with that though :)

49 minutes ago, Mark F said:

My screensaver

f3zonv6.jpg

gotta say...picture perfect eh?

Just now, Doublezero said:

The operations cap also meant no contract extension for Kyle Walters this year. What are the odds he lands somewhere else next season along with Buck Pierce, Dru Brown and several others? I'd like to be optimistic but have a feeling that this 2023 season might be Bombers best shot at winning another cup for awhile ... I'd be OK with that though :)

zero chance other than Maybe Brown, and possibly an aging out vet somewhere....prob moreso the foot soldier vets

With Cup here in 2025....The key pieces to the band will be kept intact

2 hours ago, Rich said:

So why is it that coach/GM salaries are guaranteed but players aren’t?

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So why is it that coach/GM salaries are guaranteed but players aren’t?

Definitely can't afford to guarantee player salaries. And there's a never ending stream of new ones. Obviously, their union has made some strides in these areas though and will hopefully continue to get more.

I honestly don't know why management contracts are guaranteed. How did that become a thing? Are coaches really so irreplaceable? Because some teams rotate through them as quickly as they do players. It's a hard thing to take away once it's been so firmly established, but you'd think there'd be some kind of buy-out option at least.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Definitely can't afford to guarantee player salaries. And there's a never ending stream of new ones. Obviously, their union has made some strides in these areas though and will hopefully continue to get more.

I honestly don't know why management contracts are guaranteed. How did that become a thing? Are coaches really so irreplaceable? Because some teams rotate through them as quickly as they do players. It's a hard thing to take away once it's been so firmly established, but you'd think there'd be some kind of buy-out option at least.

Because the coaches insist on it when they sign their contracts.  They aren't part of a collectively bargained deal, they negotiate their own terms.

56 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Source that it's cap related?  Just because he hasn't re-signed yet, doesn't mean he won't.  MOS didn't have an extension in place until after last season ended either but we know how that turned out.

I doubt Buck goes anywhere... his family is here and he's already declined to even interview for some jobs (Sask).

3 hours ago, Rich said:

How messed up would it be if that was the case? The cap is in place because of his abuse and every one else suffers then it saves his sorry ass. 

I have no issue with guaranteed contracts. But having the management cap in place and tying non-employees to it seems silly. Let teams be stuck with old contracts on the books but make the operations cap a “currently on staff” cap. The intent of the cap was to avoid teams having 25 coaches in place, not handcuff them in the event they fired someone. Or do like the NHL and have a buyout where only a portion of their salary applies to the current cap. This way teams are stuck with their bad contracts, but not crippled by them indefinitely into the future. Just a thought. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever