CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

To finish off the month the Bombers would continue to tweak both their roster and their coaching staff. They announced Gary Etcheverry as their new Defensive Coordinator, and tweaked their quarterback depth chart by releasing backup Justin Goltz and trading their 5th round draft pick in 2014 to the Tiger-Cats in exchange for QB Brian Brohm.

Off-season Timeline: Winnipeg Blue Bombers - CFL.ca

Oh how far we have come!

Just gross.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Imo the worst dc in our modern or semi modern era. Bleh

How do you define modern or semi-modern?

Cause if we're going back a spell I'd put Jim Daley as without question the worst. (After he fired his defensive coordinator thinking he could do a better job.)

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Hard to say, look at the players he had to work with, can't make lemonade from potatoes.  

Or chicken salad from chicken poo....as some wise QB once said...

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Imo the worst dc in our modern or semi modern era. Bleh

and he had EJ Kuale and Matt Bucknor to work with too...

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Cause if we're going back a spell I'd put Jim Daley as without question the worst. (After he fired his defensive coordinator thinking he could do a better job.)

2013 almost made me quit being a Bomber fan. 

Edited by Geebrr

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It was the only time in my life when I didn't care to watch games.

We'd go and start drinking immediately. Most of the time was spent at the rum hut.

1997 called and is laughing right now.  I honestly don't think I watched a single game in 1997 or 1998.  In 1997 I was in Australia and "streaming games" wasn't a thing back then yet.  I was back in Canada in 1998 but the Bombers were so bad I think I passed on most of that season too.  I got back into the Bombers again in 1999 after Reinebold was hoofed out.  I just couldn't stand that idiot.  Even now when I saw him on the sidelines at the home opener with Hamilton this year I had an attack of PTSD just seeing him standing in a Winnipeg football stadium.  Yuck....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

1997 called and is laughing right now.  I honestly don't think I watched a single game in 1997 or 1998.  In 1997 I was in Australia and "streaming games" wasn't a thing back then yet.  I was back in Canada in 1998 but the Bombers were so bad I think I passed on most of that season too.  I got back into the Bombers again in 1999 after Reinebold was hoofed out.  I just couldn't stand that idiot.  Even now when I saw him on the sidelines at the home opener with Hamilton this year I had an attack of PTSD just seeing him standing in a Winnipeg football stadium.  Yuck....

I was 10 in '97. I remember going for every game (The club gave my friends and I seats for handing out t-shirts to the crowd pre-game). 

Don't remember a single play/game. Didn't really become a fan until the Khari/Glenn-era. 

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I was 10 in '97. I remember going for every game (The club gave my friends and I seats for handing out t-shirts to the crowd pre-game). 

Don't remember a single play/game. Didn't really become a fan until the Khari/Glenn-era. 

I was 10 as well. My Dad got us seasons for my birthday. remember quite a bit unfortunately.

Milt single-handedly put butts in seats those years. 

4 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

To finish off the month the Bombers would continue to tweak both their roster and their coaching staff. They announced Gary Etcheverry as their new Defensive Coordinator, and tweaked their quarterback depth chart by releasing backup Justin Goltz and trading their 5th round draft pick in 2014 to the Tiger-Cats in exchange for QB Brian Brohm.

Oh how far we have come!

giphy.gif

Oh how far we have come!

The Bombers did a few things that off season that would really shape the current culture that we have today. Taking the intern tag off of Walters and bringing in Danny Mac and Ted Goveia ended up being huge moves that paid off in the long term. I thought Walters getting Chris Randle and the 26th pick for the 24th pick was high way robbery. Randle was really a bright spot on some bad Bomber defences during those first couple of season of the current regime. 

As a stupid 17 year old, I fully believed in Reinebold and "a younger mentality" after Kindly Cal's old school ways. In a lot of ways, those seasons galvanized me as a Bombers fan. So many jumped off the wagon, and I was determined to hang on. I have vivid memories of listening to the Troy Kopp game on my little CD/Radio in my BU dorm room and just screaming and yelling so loud that people came running down the hall wondering what the hell was going on. Ha ha. 

2013.... the irony of a shitty defense then is that Burke circa 2011 is one of the best DC's we've ever had. Lapo even said he was the biggest FA acquisition they made going into that year and a big reason why we went to the Cup. 

There were dark times, and I certainly came close (as Matty Geebs alluded to, 2013 era was SO bad...) but 17to85, in one of the only times I can think of him ever being right about anything, said " You have to hang on because one day this is going to end, and when it does it's going to be all the more glorious for having gone through this ****".... damned if he wasn't right for once. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

As a stupid 17 year old, I fully believed in Reinebold and "a younger mentality" after Kindly Cal's old school ways. In a lot of ways, those seasons galvanized me as a Bombers fan. So many jumped off the wagon, and I was determined to hang on. I have vivid memories of listening to the Troy Kopp game on my little CD/Radio in my BU dorm room and just screaming and yelling so loud that people came running down the hall wondering what the hell was going on. Ha ha. 

2013.... the irony of a shitty defense then is that Burke circa 2011 is one of the best DC's we've ever had. Lapo even said he was the biggest FA acquisition they made going into that year and a big reason why we went to the Cup. 

There were dark times, and I certainly came close (as Matty Geebs alluded to, 2013 era was SO bad...) but 17to85, in one of the only times I can think of him ever being right about anything, said " You have to hang on because one day this is going to end, and when it does it's going to be all the more glorious for having gone through this ****".... damned if he wasn't right for once. 

Enjoy it while it lasts - the cycle always repeats.  We're at the top end of that cycle right now.  Nortel at $120/share.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Not at all how it went down. Rod Rust was the defensive coordinator that year, and he walked away from the team mid-season due to a family situation (his wife’s illness I believe, although the specifics were not divulged at the time) and left Daley high and dry to handle both jobs without any warning. 

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Enjoy it while it lasts - the cycle always repeats.  We're at the top end of that cycle right now.  Nortel at $120/share.

it's very TBurg of you to point out how it's going to eventually end...... *sad trombone*  Don't burst my "THIS IS GOING TO LAST FOREVER!" just yet....

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not at all how it went down. Rod Rust was the defensive coordinator that year, and he walked away from the team mid-season due to a family situation (his wife’s illness I believe, although the specifics were not divulged at the time) and left Daley high and dry to handle both jobs without any warning. 

Walked away because Daley was a micromanager who tried to do it better is how I recall it. Rust didn't have time for his ****. It's the same as a firing IMO. Bottom line **** Jim Daley. 

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Hard to say, look at the players he had to work with, can't make lemonade from potatoes.  

Or chicken salad from chicken poo....as some wise QB once said...

and he had EJ Kuale and Matt Bucknor to work with too...

Didn’t have great players but his schemes and complicated coverage gap scheme and slow blitzes were horrid. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That’s a good point though he was a replacement, but he did have more talent. 

52 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Walked away because Daley was a micromanager who tried to do it better is how I recall it. Rust didn't have time for his ****. It's the same as a firing IMO. Bottom line **** Jim Daley. 

rust had potential, called D for the giants with lt at one point, seemed like the switch to the Canadian game was tough for him. 
I recall rusts departure being never well covered.