CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

That's only for drafted players. 

I don't think so...isn't that the reason why that TJ Jones from Winnipeg didn't end up signing in T.O...cause they couldn't pay him the contract he signed for? 

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

New CBA addresses that.  A player with more than 3 NFL seasons is no longer stuck with a CFL rookie deal.  Henry has 4 seasons so he can sign for whatever.

https://3downnation.com/2022/05/26/details-of-the-cfls-new-cba-salary-cap-increases-ratio-changes-and-guaranteed-contracts/

Yeah ...that was a dumb rule before and prevented good talent from coming up

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

But he is the leading passer,  Ferguson didn't say he was the "best" passer.   

Leader in passing yards. The leading passer would be some one who is at or near the lead in all the good passer categories. Other wise you could say a guy who goes 4/4 on the season is the leagues leading passer, in completion percentage he is. 
 They are always trying to pump up mediocre QBs. They act as If they fool the average fan into thinking the qb depth in the league is good maybe it’ll come true. 

Possible NFL q.b. cuts of interest.   https://shadysportsnetwork.com/2023/08/13/quarterbacks-non-nfl-leagues-should-be-keeping-an-eye-on/

interesting if accurate:

“Every year we can count on one hand how many CFL players get called up to the NFL, but in two seasons for the XFL and USFL they have had over 130 NFL Contracts signed by their players in just two seasons“

Edited by Mark F

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

For $65,000 CAD per season.  

That's an insane rule in thre collective agreement. A rookie coming into the CFL even if he played or was on a PR roster for a couple of years can only be signed to the CFL minimum. We need to find new stars in this league to bring the fans back. This doesn't do it. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Leader in passing yards. The leading passer would be some one who is at or near the lead in all the good passer categories. Other wise you could say a guy who goes 4/4 on the season is the leagues leading passer, in completion percentage he is. 
 They are always trying to pump up mediocre QBs. They act as If they fool the average fan into thinking the qb depth in the league is good maybe it’ll come true. 

I'm sorry, this is dumb.

The term "leading passer" clearly refers to the person leading the league in yards. Just as Brady is the league leading rusher, and Mack is the league leading receiver Hollins probably passed him this week tho).

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Dunigan especially. He always talks about hws great some young qb is doing when he isn't. He tries to constantly to find sunshine in a storm cloud. Most of these guys are total **** qbs. Even now, he still pumps the tires for Caleb Evans, a guy whose sun never rose past the horizon before going right back down. Just a terrible backup CFL qb. Even in his win the last time he played for the Als he was crap throwing the ball. And he's still in the CFL. Then there's Dominique Davis. WTF is he still doing in the CFL???

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'm sorry, this is dumb.

The term "leading passer" clearly refers to the person leading the league in yards. Just as Brady is the league leading rusher, and Mack is the league leading receiver Hollins probably passed him this week tho).

Usually the leading passer is among the best couple of qbs in the league. Maier isn't even Top 5. So, lading passer in this situation means nothing when his team is 3-8.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Dunigan especially. He always talks about hws great some young qb is doing when he isn't. He tries to constantly to find sunshine in a storm cloud. Most of these guys are total **** qbs. Even now, he still pumps the tires for Caleb Evans, a guy whose sun never rose past the horizon before going right back down. Just a terrible backup CFL qb. Even in his win the last time he played for the Als he was crap throwing the ball. And he's still in the CFL. Then there's Dominique Davis. WTF is he still doing in the CFL???

Usually the leading passer is among the best couple of qbs in the league. Maier isn't even Top 5. So, lading passer in this situation means nothing when his team is 3-8.

And what's his passer rating...I'm sure not up there in top 3

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There are exceptions. Such as the year Ricky Ray threw for 5000 yards, but the Esks missed the playoffs.

56 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Possible NFL q.b. cuts of interest.   https://shadysportsnetwork.com/2023/08/13/quarterbacks-non-nfl-leagues-should-be-keeping-an-eye-on/

interesting if accurate:

“Every year we can count on one hand how many CFL players get called up to the NFL, but in two seasons for the XFL and USFL they have had over 130 NFL Contracts signed by their players in just two seasons“

Those guys are fringe NFL players.  The guys coming up here are basically done with the NFL or never even got a look.

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Stats don't tell the whole picture...The VAJ has thrown just shy of 800 yards last 2 games...and is 0-2

The Lions defense has problems. VAJ is doing alright for the most part. That has to be a real concern. Adams is lighting it up & they're losing. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

54 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Stubler was a great defensive mind. He had a lot of success with a number of CFL teams. I remember after Tim Burke was fired, posters here at MBB were hoping that Stubler would be our HC but I think he went to the Stamps to be their DC under  John Hufnagel, I can't remember. I don't think Stubler wanted to take on the gigantic task at his age (mid 60's) to rebuild the Bombers back then. We were a terrible team at the time. As bad as it got so he went elsewhere. We ended up hiring Mike O'Shea instead. Things happen for a reason. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-08-26 at 10:38 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no idea where to find the up to date stats. Bush freaking league. 

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/leaders... significantly better than cfl.ca 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Stubler was a great defensive mind. He had a lot of success with a number of CFL teams. I remember after Tim Burke was fired, posters here at MBB were hoping that Stubler would be our HC but I think he went to the Stamps to be their DC under  John Hufnagel, I can't remember. I don't think Stubler wanted to take on the gigantic task at his age (mid 60's) to rebuild the Bombers back then. We were a terrible team at the time. As bad as it got so he went elsewhere. We ended up hiring Mike O'Shea instead. Things happen for a reason. 

Your memory is typically impeccable for these sort of thing so I hesitate to question you... but I believe O'Shea had Stubler tapped to be the DC... then he chose Calgary instead... leading to the hiring of Etchevarry.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/leaders... significantly better than cfl.ca 

Your memory is typically impeccable for these sort of thing so I hesitate to question you... but I believe O'Shea had Stubler tapped to be the DC... then he chose Calgary instead... leading to the hiring of Etchevarry.

To finish off the month the Bombers would continue to tweak both their roster and their coaching staff. They announced Gary Etcheverry as their new Defensive Coordinator, and tweaked their quarterback depth chart by releasing backup Justin Goltz and trading their 5th round draft pick in 2014 to the Tiger-Cats in exchange for QB Brian Brohm.

Off-season Timeline: Winnipeg Blue Bombers - CFL.ca

Oh how far we have come!