CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

33 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I understand why the cap was put in (ie Chris Jones overspending in Saskatchewan including the secret practice squad) but its time for it to go or be revised since it is hurting Edmonton and by extension the entire CFL.

That wasn't the reason, tho. Not the whole reason anyway.

CFL teams can't be firing staffs every 2-3 years and paying them all out at the same time. Everyone suggesting that fired staffs shouldn't count towards the cap are missing a central point of the cap. To stop this overspending.

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

legitimately curious what this organization looks like after 2025... so much build up for that, but who knows what will happen after. 

Pretty sure will look basically the same.....other than a new core of players...maybe a few diff positional coaches but the Management and HC aspect will be intact, 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Pretty sure will look basically the same.....other than a new core of players...maybe a few diff positional coaches but the Management and HC aspect will be intact, 

Continuity is key.....that's a teams strength and we have that....One problem or should I say various problems that some of the other clubs have is that continuous 'bull$hit' doesn't make the grade.....We're lucky we have exceptional talent and coaches.....Some of the other teams have to beat the bushes and they still come up empty.....Glad to be where we are

Just now, Stickem said:

Continuity is key.....that's a teams strength and we have that....One problem or should I say various problems that some of the other clubs have is that continuous 'bull$hit' doesn't make the grade.....We're lucky we have exceptional talent and coaches.....Some of the other teams have to beat the bushes and they still come up empty.....Glad to be where we are

yup....thats what the main goal was from beginning...took 2.5 yrs to get it headed in right direction, and there were some sketchy times, but now that it's established, keeping it intact with tweaks here and there is the goal to maintain it...I see no reasons why we won't as key pieces are in place, and if any piece needs to be replaced for whatever reason...we don't have bozo's running things anymore like before and just grasping and flailing away at stuff hoping something stuck.....thank god

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I bet Ted goveia will be gone. I think a 75% chance JY gets a dc job and 50% chance buck gets a hc offer. 
 If we keep walters, mac, and penn in the front office I’ll very happy. I’m preparing my self for the worst with walters though. 
Cyril penn is a big sleeper in our front office. 

I hope we take a hard look at going with fresh blood in the coordinator tier next year. I really hope we keep JY costello, bourgoin, and Stanley. 
We’ve done a great job replacing and developing ast coaches and scouts. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

There are key positions that are foundational pieces of this team - where management needs to have more than an eye - on the future.

QB

OT

MLB

Safety

100%. And in the cfl you need to recruit WRs, Dbs, and pass rushers like you’ve got no one under contract, at all times. 
 A more useful cheaper back up ni rb would be big as well. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

I think there is no doubt that Younger is the heir apparent for DC. Ritchie Hall ain't getting any younger and sooner rather than later he will be due for retirement. 

100%. He is or should be the first name on every one’s list league wide for the next guy to get a dc job. If we promote him to dc in the off season and have Stanley be a lead assistant to him and or defensive qc that would be the best case scenario imo. 

Looking around right now, don't really see who would be in need of a DC in the west currently, tho things could change, but I doubt next year.

Out east I think T.O...MTL...HAM...And Ottawa are all safe too...Miles is doing good job in Ott and is an up and comer...so change there ...again would be pointless....Washington is good in Ham, and also has a Asst HC title to his name and if Orlando gets the can, or steps aside after another failure I sure that job is Milanovich's anyway and not Washington's and I sure T.O isn't caning Mace for unproven Younger....so my best guess he is ours until we don't want him, or slide him into Hall's role, or add a title to his current position

Only guy I can see possibly getting poached next yr is Goevia, but he also has to want to leave, and I think unless it's just the ultimate perfect situation presented, he won't as he quite happy here....and truthfully I would wager a guess all the top dogs here are gonna want to see this thru to the 2025 Grey Cup season

You have to factor in as well...If some teams happen to can guys not under contract...well then there is also peanuts to offer in terms of salary...so we good for 2 yrs minimum in my opinion

45 minutes ago, Booch said:

Looking around right now, don't really see who would be in need of a DC in the west currently, tho things could change, but I doubt next year.

Out east I think T.O...MTL...HAM...And Ottawa are all safe too...Miles is doing good job in Ott and is an up and comer...so change there ...again would be pointless....Washington is good in Ham, and also has a Asst HC title to his name and if Orlando gets the can, or steps aside after another failure I sure that job is Milanovich's anyway and not Washington's and I sure T.O isn't caning Mace for unproven Younger....so my best guess he is ours until we don't want him, or slide him into Hall's role, or add a title to his current position

Only guy I can see possibly getting poached next yr is Goevia, but he also has to want to leave, and I think unless it's just the ultimate perfect situation presented, he won't as he quite happy here....and truthfully I would wager a guess all the top dogs here are gonna want to see this thru to the 2025 Grey Cup season

You have to factor in as well...If some teams happen to can guys not under contract...well then there is also peanuts to offer in terms of salary...so we good for 2 yrs minimum in my opinion

Goevia taken interviews. If he gets a good opportunity, he's gone, imo. Though I don't think he walks into an unstable tire fire.

Just now, Jesse said:

Goevia taken interviews. If he gets a good opportunity, he's gone, imo. Though I don't think he walks into an unstable tire fire.

yeah he wiling to listen....but if not the right situ...he aint jumping

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Imagine if the LOLK's had listened to Wally and taken Goveia as the GM, rather than giving Jones all the jobs....? Would likely be a MUCH different story in Edm right now...

pretty much eh?....They should have beat Sask both games as it is...so likely have at least 3 wins this yr so far

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I don’t think the west will be nearly soo stabile. I could also see Washington being bc of ham next year and getting some one to be a disciple dc. I think edm and ssk will clean house. 
 I wonder if DDs leash doesn’t get short this year too. I do feel like I always expect more coaching turn over than we see in the cfl though. 
And the league is doing very well developing young dcs, as opposed to the stagnant state of ocs. It’s a far cry from a few years ago when some pretty terrible and long in the tooth dcs kept floating around. 

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

Imagine if the LOLK's had listened to Wally and taken Goveia as the GM, rather than giving Jones all the jobs....? Would likely be a MUCH different story in Edm right now...

Edmonton is definitely the first place that came to mind... If they do the smart thing and lose Jones... Goveia would be a smart replacement... maybe he takes Buck as his HC... and Buck takes Brown to be his QB...

Don't know anything about the current President Edm has hired... but if they look at our structure and see a strong President/GM/HC relationship... having a GM and HC with a preexisting relationship would be a good start 

22 hours ago, Jesse said:

That wasn't the reason, tho. Not the whole reason anyway.

CFL teams can't be firing staffs every 2-3 years and paying them all out at the same time. Everyone suggesting that fired staffs shouldn't count towards the cap are missing a central point of the cap. To stop this overspending.

This. 

And, the biggest proponents of the cap were the most stable franchises, like the Riders and Bombers. I don't think they enjoy when a new owner comes in, splashes a bunch of money to overpay and "buy" their coaches. 

It's not a perfect system but I know what they were trying to do. 

Stop signing Chris Jones to stupid contracts, people!!

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

This. 

And, the biggest proponents of the cap were the most stable franchises, like the Riders and Bombers. I don't think they enjoy when a new owner comes in, splashes a bunch of money to overpay and "buy" their coaches. 

It's not a perfect system but I know what they were trying to do. 

Stop signing Chris Jones to stupid contracts, people!!

Stop signing Chris jones to any contract. Fool Me once shame on you. Fool 75  people then me, shame on me.