CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

LOL

I have a feeling Chris Jones would coach anywhere they would pay him and this attributed quote may not be authentic 😉

He absolutely would.  His words mean nothing.  This is a guy who quit his "dream job" (his own words) at his old high school, after coaching exactly one game.

On 2023-08-16 at 10:33 AM, wbbfan said:

Every one worth 100mil is working for, or owned some one else. Nearly all privately owned sports teams are owned by ownership groups not individuals.  

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/16/3downnations-2023-mid-season-cfl-award-winners/

hilarious the cfl media is soo excited to see us relegated to a bottom feeder. 

I love this… I hope everyone discounts the bombers… that’s when they’re at their best… if we have a game to play come awards time, I hope a few players get snubbed too…

6 hours ago, bearpants said:

I love this… I hope everyone discounts the bombers… that’s when they’re at their best… if we have a game to play come awards time, I hope a few players get snubbed too…

Looking at their article on half time all stars it’s the same. Lol kola as our lone all star on the ol. 

It’s Dru browns big moment today. He may or may not excel again, but at this point I have trust in his mental and physical toughness. Go Dru Go Blue!

35 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I would be okay with modifications to the rules around the operations cap. IMO you should be able to fire your coaching staff and clear the cap. At least most of it.

I still believe Miller knew this was coming and that's why no Walters contract yet.

20 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

What is the penalty for going over the operations cap?

Here's what the league put out when the cap was introduced in 2018:

"For the first $100,000 over the cap, the fine is the equivalent of the amount by which the limit has been exceeded. For any amount over $100,000, penalties range from a minimum of a $25,000 fine and the loss of one second-round draft pick to a maximum of a $250,000 fine and the loss of three draft picks.

But in 2019, as the teams adjust to the cap, teams that voluntarily report their violations to the league will only be subject to team fines, not personal fines or the loss of draft picks."

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I still believe Miller knew this was coming and that's why no Walters contract yet.

Knew what was coming? That a couple teams don't like the cap? 

This didn't happen without a majority. Ambrosie doesn't get to just make decisions that the teams don't want. Teams wanted the cap. And they don't want the cap to be cleared each year.

Maybe they can negotiate a little relief, but this was a cost saving measure that the team owners want. I don't expect it to go anywhere.

45 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Knew what was coming? That a couple teams don't like the cap? 

This didn't happen without a majority. Ambrosie doesn't get to just make decisions that the teams don't want. Teams wanted the cap. And they don't want the cap to be cleared each year.

Maybe they can negotiate a little relief, but this was a cost saving measure that the team owners want. I don't expect it to go anywhere.

yes but once the reality hits (as in being stuck with a losing coaching staff) and the fans stop coming. Owners are going to change their minds in a hurry. Saving money is one thing, losing money is another issue.

41 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I would keep the cap but could make it so that if you axe someone only a certain percentage counts against your cap.

yeah that seems to be a pretty easy/solid solution.

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Changing or getting rid of the cap.  Wade and Caretaker Bob pretty much run the show (if rumours are true) so he would know if something like that is in the works.

If they "ran the show", it wouldn't have been put in  in the first place.

I'm sure we didn't want the cap, but a majority of teams must have approved of it to get it in place.

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

for whats its worth...Expect to hear come Dec, or shortly after Grey Cup Walters is extended through 2025

100% believe this. 

We'll have everyone through the Grey Cup year, at least.