GDT - Banjo Bowl - Riders @ the Back-To-Back Champs

JCon

11 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I've got a question for all of you armchair QBs out there. Actually, maybe, just an observation. So Collaros tosses one to Bailey and he takes it in for a TD with 30 seconds left in the first half. Score is then 27-7. Bombers kickoff and SK starts moving the ball down field. On the second last play of the half (seven seconds left on the clock) SK is near centre field and Farjardo throws his usual short one that is caught  by one of their guys at about our 45-46. The guy drops and not one but a couple of Bombers immediately touch him down with two seconds still on the clock. On the last play of the half Lauther kicks a 53 yd FG to bring the score to 27-10. I realize that in the end that FG didn't matter but had the Bombers not touched the downed receiver, the two seconds would have gone and the half would have ended at 27-7. I realize this is one of those in the heat of the moment things but I would have thought the players on the field would have been more aware of the clock, especially a vet like Bighill. Was the Bomber coaching staff aware? Was it a teaching moment? Your thoughts?

I think any player, not just the QB, can deliberately hit the ground (like taking a knee) and declare themselves down without being touched. Have seen the refs allow this before. 

1 hour ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I've got a question for all of you armchair QBs out there. Actually, maybe, just an observation. So Collaros tosses one to Bailey and he takes it in for a TD with 30 seconds left in the first half. Score is then 27-7. Bombers kickoff and SK starts moving the ball down field. On the second last play of the half (seven seconds left on the clock) SK is near centre field and Farjardo throws his usual short one that is caught  by one of their guys at about our 45-46. The guy drops and not one but a couple of Bombers immediately touch him down with two seconds still on the clock. On the last play of the half Lauther kicks a 53 yd FG to bring the score to 27-10. I realize that in the end that FG didn't matter but had the Bombers not touched the downed receiver, the two seconds would have gone and the half would have ended at 27-7. I realize this is one of those in the heat of the moment things but I would have thought the players on the field would have been more aware of the clock, especially a vet like Bighill. Was the Bomber coaching staff aware? Was it a teaching moment? Your thoughts?

C'mon, it's fun to give them a little hope before slamming the door on their dicks.

Edited by Fatty Liver

12 hours ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I think you're right about "heat of the moment" and "instincts kicking in"... if they had left him the clock would've just run out.

11 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think any player, not just the QB, can deliberately hit the ground (like taking a knee) and declare themselves down without being touched. Have seen the refs allow this before. 

yes you are correct... but in this case the player wasn't giving himself up, he just went down as he was making the catch... I think if the Bombers hadn't touched him, Slimy is correct and the clock would've just run out

On 2022-09-12 at 5:11 PM, Wideleft said:

I hate the True North chant.  Don't understand why so many people are shouting support for extremely wealthy people who are taking their hard-earned money to watch a very mediocre hockey team.

Gets even worse when you hear it at your kids' science fair awards.

It's a rally cry just before the game. Not sure why you have a problem with that. If you don't want to support the Jets don't, but many people feel they get full value for the tickets they buy and understand that our team spends just as much as any other team to try and provide us with an entertaining product. 

Hate it when people go off on the owners of a team like the Jets that is more a passion project of the ownership group than a profit centre.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's a rally cry just before the game. Not sure why you have a problem with that. If you don't want to support the Jets don't, but many people feel they get full value for the tickets they buy and understand that our team spends just as much as any other team to try and provide us with an entertaining product. 

Hate it when people go off on the owners of a team like the Jets that is more a passion project of the ownership group than a profit centre.

Save it for Jets games, then.  

30 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Save it for Jets games, then.  

I agree on that, however, the chant has taken on more of a Winnipeg rally cry identity than anything to actually do with True North now. In the early days it was to thank the Jets owners for bringing them back, now the True North chant is to signify the strength of the fan base. It's to let the world know that Jets/Bomber games are hostile territory for the visitors. If Bomber fans want to do it in that context I have absolutely no issue with that.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree on that, however, the chant has taken on more of a Winnipeg rally cry identity than anything to actually do with True North now. In the early days it was to thank the Jets owners for bringing them back, now the True North chant is to signify the strength of the fan base. It's to let the world know that Jets/Bomber games are hostile territory for the visitors. If Bomber fans want to do it in that context I have absolutely no issue with that.

I know the history.  I don't need to hear the chant at school events and The Bombers aren't true north of any city in the CFL.

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

eff the Jets

Ever since Byfuglien stopped playing, I have totally lost interest in the Jets...  once he was gone, it seemed the jets just became a very different team. Not only a sub-average team, but just not enjoyable to watch.

The team's identity with Big Byfuglien in the line up was so much fun to watch and what a joy to see. Now... it's like- why do we even have the Jets...

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

I know the history.  I don't need to hear the chant at school events and The Bombers aren't true north of any city in the CFL.

You objection is noted. There are some that share your objection, unfortunately, it seems to be something that we are going to be stuck with for some time.

Edited by GCn20