Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

NFL is also the only of the major 4 sports leagues to not have guaranteed contracts.   Weaker union?  Too many college players who could slip into game action as opposed to other leagues?   Not sure why football is behind the other leagues in some of these areas.

The NFL machine in the states, you can't fight it.

Edited by Jesse

1 hour ago, Rich said:

NFL is also the only of the major 4 sports leagues to not have guaranteed contracts.   Weaker union?  Too many college players who could slip into game action as opposed to other leagues?   Not sure why football is behind the other leagues in some of these areas.

Yeah not to mention the ridiculousness that is the franchise tag. It’s the anti nba. I mean unrestricted free agency only came in 1993. 
 I think it’s just the owners are much stronger and maybe the pa is afraid to rock the boat too hard. A lot of the revenue streams are close partners with the owners not the league or product. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

And it's about earning money when u can...desjarlais could make more as a starter here than PR money there...especially if he is bouncing from and on and off a PR ...U only get paid if you on one. 

Like to see all our guys make a roster but right from get go figured Kongbo would be most likely to be back this yr...for him I hope not..and he still may stick..but he would be a welcome addition and I sure this is where he would want to be

9500 per week. So 171k ish per season us. So 222k a year up here with exchange. In reality probably more buying power here. Living expense in New England probably higher. Idk the nuance of the taxes but I’m sure Uncle Sam and uncle Trudeau would take more than just taxes up here. 
 With our question id offer him 250k range per year for 1 year or up to 6+. He’s worth more than Kenny lawler. 

49 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

9500 per week. So 171k ish per season us. So 222k a year up here with exchange. In reality probably more buying power here. Living expense in New England probably higher. Idk the nuance of the taxes but I’m sure Uncle Sam and uncle Trudeau would take more than just taxes up here. 
 With our question id offer him 250k range per year for 1 year or up to 6+. He’s worth more than Kenny lawler. 

yeah...being Canadian...Living here...he's make out better...and 171k...give or take is being on a PR for 16 games...hoping to land on one...or going from team to team for workouts, and waiting for an offer....doesn't get you paid....Desjarlais comes up here...he is easily the highest paid...or one of the highest paid O-Lineman..and will be for a good 8 to 10 years sve for some serious career ending injury, or he loses it fast....the latter I dont see happening

36 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

And that’s why the Jets are the Jets and haven’t won anything in 60 years. He’s the only QB this pre season for the Jets do something. What’s the point of keeping a 38 year old Flacco around as your back up? You’re not going to win much this year anyways, might as well see what these young guys can do if Zach Wilson is injured. 

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

And that’s why the Jets are the Jets and haven’t won anything in 60 years. He’s the only QB this pre season for the Jets do something. What’s the point of keeping a 38 year old Flacco around as your back up? You’re not going to win much this year anyways, might as well see what these young guys can do if Zach Wilson is injured. 

Strevie ain't really young. He was brought on solely top take up those 4th quarter snaps so they don't get anyone injured who they care about.

Wilson is their present and future. Flacco is just a veteran presence to help him along. 

Just now, BomberfanMKS said:

Notice how they haven't just straight up released him like others, instead there's been a story about him being released tommorrow.

My guess is they're trying to get some trade value out of him

why would anyone give them anything when they already said he was going to be released

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Now why do you even bring a guy in if you are gonna cut him if he lights the world on fire that’s just piss poor roster management. Teams that carry tcf especially at qb in the nfl are cannon fodder for the rest of the nfl. 

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Now why do you even bring a guy in if you are gonna cut him if he lights the world on fire that’s just piss poor roster management. Teams that carry tcf especially at qb in the nfl are cannon fodder for the rest of the nfl. 

Exactly. He did everything and more for the Jets. Why bother taking away reps from a guy they like in White if there was no way Streveler was going to make the roster. Just a huge mess in my opinion. Hopefully another team brings him after this. I think he could play as a third stringer, and utility player in the right circumstance. 

Strev may have extended his NFL hopes with his pre-season play. Might be a team that will PR him, and almost definitely one will pick him up in the offseason for TC if he doesn't land now. Therefore, I would say that because of his TC performance our chances of getting Strev back for a stretch run have increased exponentially. If he doesn't land somewhere in the next 10 days, his very best option would likely be to come back to the Bombers for a stretch run on a prorated one year deal and then set his sights on the NFL in the offseason again. 

I would say the chances of him coming back to the CFL on a multiyear deal are between slim and none this season. If he is coming back just to stay sharp until the end of the season it would almost certainly be with us.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Strev may have extended his NFL hopes with his pre-season play. Might be a team that will PR him, and almost definitely one will pick him up in the offseason for TC if he doesn't land now. Therefore, I would say that because of his TC performance our chances of getting Strev back for a stretch run have increased exponentially. If he doesn't land somewhere in the next 10 days, his very best option would likely be to come back to the Bombers for a stretch run on a prorated one year deal and then set his sights on the NFL in the offseason again. 

I would say the chances of him coming back to the CFL on a multiyear deal are between slim and none this season. If he is coming back just to stay sharp until the end of the season it would almost certainly be with us.

agreed....he should leave his TC play as a statement for now....sign up to close season here for a playoff run...and have major eyes on him and then see who wants him when CFL season is done for a look see, or come next NFL TC season...that would be the best scenario for him...bouncing around for some workouts...trying to get a PR spot...doesn't get you paid, and really....you don't get live reps in a game....Is that the likely scenario....prob not...but one can hope....The reality is right now teams are kinda gonna go with what they have for first month or so...barring some catastrophic injury somewhere...so to get playtime....get film....get paid an equivalent amount right now the CFL has to look appealing...Plus he has had a lot of PR time already, and roster time...so his window is shrinking and why waste it right now when likely he wont see the field immediately

Man I would love to get streveler back here. 
 But we also need more nfl tc cut reinforcements than usual right now. Dl wil db rb/wr and ol. Probably more than one db too. 
 On top of if we manage to get one of our guys back from an nfl camp. Any of whom would be huge. 

I feel like they are also high on brown and prukop is cheap. But strevy as qb2 bumping off prukop would be huge.