Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

NFL teams have 3 years of film on him, the good and the bad. Coming back up North after his performance in NY will not raise his profile. 

It doesn't have to raise his profile, it has to maintain it. The premise is that he would come here if he can't catch on anywhere. Being rostered in the CFL and getting some live action is far better than sitting on his thumbs. Not sure why this concept is hard to understand? A ton of guys come back to the CFL with exactly this in mind. A lot end up staying, but rarely do you see guys coming back from the NFL and signing multi-year deals when they come back.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I expect Streveler to stay in the NFL this year, but if he comes to the CFL, he'd be best to sign with BC. He'd make them instantly competitive again.

I agree...I dont expect him here this yr...and if so prob not till late sept/early Oct....that being said...It's here or nowhere

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Exactly. If his NFL dream still lives on then Winnipeg provides him with the best opportunity for team, and individual success over a short span. The only way he should go elsewhere is if he wants to come back to the CFL on a multi-year deal because it will take him the remainder of the season just to settle in with a new team, and a new offence.

Who says this is his last shot? He comes up here, plays well, and maybe he gets another look with more film under his belt.

I'm saying this is his last shot. Year 3(?) jumping from PR to PR with some games here and there. The NFL isn't a wait and see what happens league for an undrafted middle aged (By NFL standards) QB. Every team in the NFL is aware of what he can and can't do at this point, especially after this preseason. Coming back up to the CFL for half a year to play backup QB isnt suddenly going to make a team notice him. To the NFL he is what he is. If he doesn't find a spot, his next opportunity will come AFTER/IF he lights the CFL on fire for a few years.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It doesn't have to raise his profile, it has to maintain it. The premise is that he would come here if he can't catch on anywhere. Being rostered in the CFL and getting some live action is far better than sitting on his thumbs. Not sure why this concept is hard to understand? A ton of guys come back to the CFL with exactly this in mind. A lot end up staying, but rarely do you see guys coming back from the NFL and signing multi-year deals when they come back.

cause some people like to arue for the sake of arguing...and some people don't know how things work, or how teams/agents/players work and feel....and some people are both....

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

He aint replacing ZC....So yes he would be used as short yardage and 2QB sets...call it a gimmick if u want, but he would be the back-up QB used in plays while ZC is upright...If he was hurt...He would become the frigin QB...Not a gimmick....but continue spinning stuff to suit yer fancy....good god...He wouldnt be signed to park ZC on bench.

And apparently there was a rift with team and Harris about the FIFO culture.....so spin that how u wish too....Lawler went for $$....so guess he didnt fit in eh?...same with Harris....and to be honest we havn't really missed either as our record show...and their respective ones do....go for money..sacrifice wins...culture and stability....to each their own...others stayed for less...and will again next yr....as with Strev I have it on pretty good sources that if he were to come back to Canada for a pro-rated season (as thats all he is signing for this yr) that it will be in Winnipeg...or nowhere...take it for what its worth and spin it how you wish....But I will ride and die with what I know and have heard...and not on fan forum boards

I am unclear why guys would not see this as a viable possibility. First of all, Strevy loves Winnipeg and loves winning, secondly he is immediately familiar with our offence, thirdly he wants to keep his NFL dream alive and trying to learn a new offensive system and have success in an 8 game span is extremely risky to that NFL future, He needs to come to the CFL, play well, and keep his name circulating. Winnipeg, by far, presents him the best opportunity for that.

When/if he does come back up here there is virtually zero chance he signs with us. The current QB situation in the CFL is atrocious. Theres atleast 3-4 teams that he could start for. Do you want to come back and make peanuts backing up Collaros or make starter money in Edmonton, Ottawa etc?

And how many guys do we see come up BACK to the CFL for half a year, only to get another shot at the NFL right after? Especially a guy who has spent 3 years down there...that just doesn't happen...nevermind adding in the fact he's a QB. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm saying this is his last shot. Year 3(?) jumping from PR to PR with some games here and there. The NFL isn't a wait and see what happens league for an undrafted middle aged (By NFL standards) QB. Every team in the NFL is aware of what he can and can't do at this point, especially after this preseason. Coming back up to the CFL for half a year to play backup QB isnt suddenly going to make a team notice him. To the NFL he is what he is. If he doesn't find a spot, his next opportunity will come AFTER/IF he lights the CFL on fire for a few years.

I disagree. 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

And how many guys do we see come up BACK to the CFL for half a year, only to get another shot at the NFL right after? Especially a guy who has spent 3 years down there...that just doesn't happen...nevermind adding in the fact he's a QB. 

Off the top of my head without even looking at rosters...Jonathan Kongbo. There are numerous others but I will let you do your own homework.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

When/if he does come back up here there is virtually zero chance he signs with us. The current QB situation in the CFL is atrocious. Theres atleast 3-4 teams that he could start for. Do you want to come back and make peanuts backing up Collaros or make starter money in Edmonton, Ottawa etc?

If he only wants to sign until the end of this year and keep his NFL option open for next season, then Winnipeg is exactly where he should sign. If he wants to give up the NFL dream, then definitely there are better CFL options for him. I just think he is not done with his pursuit of an NFL gig yet, even if no one picks him up in the next month I believe he will want to keep his options open before signing any multiyear deal.

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

I agree...I dont expect him here this yr...and if so prob not till late sept/early Oct....that being said...It's here or nowhere

Strev coming here has simply gone from extreme longshot, to remote possibility. However, that's better than it was a few days ago.

I disagree. 

Off the top of my head without even looking at rosters...Jonathan Kongbo. There are numerous others but I will let you do your own homework.

If he only wants to sign until the end of this year and keep his NFL option open for next season, then Winnipeg is exactly where he should sign. If he wants to give up the NFL dream, then definitely there are better CFL options for him. I just think he is not done with his pursuit of an NFL gig yet, even if no one picks him up in the next month I believe he will want to keep his options open before signing any multiyear deal.

Kongbo doesn't fit the example for multiple reasons. 1) before he was hurt in college he was GOING to be drafted in the NFL. It was even seen as a risky pick by the Bombers because Kongbo was seen as an NFL level talent. 2) Kongbo has not spent multiple years jumping from team to team. He tried out, got hurt, was released and came back to the CFL and then went down again all of that happened over the course of 2 offseasons and 1 CFL season. 3) Kongbo is not a QB/the face of the franchise.

I don't do homework on things that haven't ever happened.

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am unclear why guys would not see this as a viable possibility. First of all, Strevy loves Winnipeg and loves winning, secondly he is immediately familiar with our offence, thirdly he wants to keep his NFL dream alive and trying to learn a new offensive system and have success in an 8 game span is extremely risky to that NFL future, He needs to come to the CFL, play well, and keep his name circulating. Winnipeg, by far, presents him the best opportunity for that.

I’ve highlighted why this is not viable. Winnipeg gives him the smallest opportunity to even play. Collaros is our starter, and the league’s highest paid player. Every other team would afford him more opportunity to play. Sitting on the bench or running the odd 3rd down sneak will not give him more exposure. And if he wants a “familiar offence” to step into, then Ottawa is the best fit of coaching he knows and starting opportunity. And if short term is his only goal, then BC is the best fit, since their star is gone for this year but is still their future if he doesn’t bolt for the NFL himself. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’ve highlighted why this is not viable. Winnipeg gives him the smallest opportunity to even play. Collaros is our starter, and the league’s highest paid player. Every other team would afford him more opportunity to play. Sitting on the bench or running the odd 3rd down sneak will not give him more exposure. And if he wants a “familiar offence” to step into, then Ottawa is the best fit of coaching he knows and starting opportunity. And if short term is his only goal, then BC is the best fit, since their star is gone for this year but is still their future if he doesn’t bolt for the NFL himself. 

we may have clinched to...3..4..5 weeks from end of year..so would be tons of opportunity....plus....even before with Collaros....he ran short yardage, as well as stayed in for extending the drive....as well as within the 10 yard line a lot of times he ran the offence....and I know u keep going back to the gimmick thing....but he would be on field a lot

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

also....he would take 2..3 weeks to be a viable starter elsewhere as would be a whole new playbook...all new teammates here he has familiarity, a similar play book and would be so easy to integrate some of what we ran before he left...also...the Dude I'm sure just wants to be part of something, and do whatever is asked....he has stated that....so why not do it from where u know and love?...theres no team right now that can throw buckets of cash at him moreso than us...and u know Walters has $$ kicking around...been running things for 9 yrs...always has...so this yr is no diff

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I disagree. 

To my mind, that career path is the exception. Off the top of my head, guys who played here, went south, took their shot, then came back never to get another shot include Ty Jones, Milt Stegall, Henry Burris, Casey Printers, Winston Rose, Duke Williams, etc. Can’t think of numerous guys who had a shot, came back, and went back down again. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

To my mind, that career path is the exception. Off the top of my head, guys who played here, went south, took their shot, then came back never to get another shot include Ty Jones, Milt Stegall, Henry Burris, Casey Printers, Winston Rose, Duke Williams, etc. Can’t think of numerous guys who had a shot, came back, and went back down again. 

I agree, most guys never get a sniff again. However, Kongbo has shown it can be done. Others, such as Duke Williams and Reggie Begelton signed to the end of the year and checked out NFL interest before re-signing in the CFL. I am certainly not suggesting that if Streveler came North he would be a slam dunk to get NFL interest next year....he wouldn't, but like most of the NFL returnees of the past several years he will likely want to keep that option open. 

He can come back to the CFL for a GC run with us, and then pick his best CFL/NFL option in the offseason. I doubt he gives up his NFL option by coming back on a multi-year deal right now and no one is handing them their starting QB position without that commitment.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Shepley...off top my head did as well....I sure there others...the funny thing is there are a lot of guys who have come to canada after failed NFL attempts....got cut or couldnt get on game day roster here, and still got an NFL chance again....just because you dont hear...doesnt mean its not occurring...Brandin Bryant here for us is another example...played a season after 2 NFL stints...we let him go for an NFL chance...resurfaced the next yr in Mtl....then has had 3 more stints with Cleveland, Miami and Buffalo...If he was to get the snips this yr...I'd be all over that if I was Walters as he is only 28 I believe

Not a Bomber...But Shepley just got released...sure would be a nice scoop to take him from Sask...tho he seems like a guy who will exhaust every chance down there

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Shepley...off top my head did as well....I sure there others...the funny thing is there are a lot of guys who have come to canada after failed NFL attempts....got cut or couldnt get on game day roster here, and still got an NFL chance again....just because you dont hear...doesnt mean its not occurring...Brandin Bryant here for us is another example...played a season after 2 NFL stints...we let him go for an NFL chance...resurfaced the next yr in Mtl....then has had 3 more stints with Cleveland, Miami and Buffalo...If he was to get the snips this yr...I'd be all over that if I was Walters as he is only 28 I believe

Ton of guys come to the CFL after failed NFL attempts and then get a 2nd look after their rookie year here. Most of the IMPs signed in the CFL have been through an NFL camp already. Almost all will tell you that they came up here to build some positive game film and keep their names in the hopper. 

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Ton of guys come to the CFL after failed NFL attempts and then get a 2nd look after their rookie year here. Most of the IMPs signed in the CFL have been through an NFL camp already.

if not several

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

if not several

The question is not how many NFL guys come up here and the. Go down for a shot. The question was how many play (or start off) in the CFL, go down and play a bit in the NFL, get cut, come back up to the CFL, play some more here, then go back down yet again after 2 CFL stints. That list seems quite short (other than Kongbo and Juran Bolden - who played one year here before he was even eligible for the NFL draft, so a different scenarios, I can’t think of others). That is the path people are suggesting Streveler should take. 

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not a Bomber...But Shepley just got released...sure would be a nice scoop to take him from Sask...tho he seems like a guy who will exhaust every chance down there

Bryant was a stud up the middle. He would be a killer pick up. 

plenty of guys bounce back n forth. Have to remember the majority of our guys were in nfl camps before coming to the cfl. Guys like bolden and sellers bounced back and forth  a couple times. We cut that returner before grant for him to go back to the nfl and then back to the cfl. Stoudemire? 

qbs and ol are also different. They are in such high demand right now the window is larger than say de or db. 

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

we may have clinched to...3..4..5 weeks from end of year..so would be tons of opportunity....plus....even before with Collaros....he ran short yardage, as well as stayed in for extending the drive....as well as within the 10 yard line a lot of times he ran the offence....and I know u keep going back to the gimmick thing....but he would be on field a lot

also....he would take 2..3 weeks to be a viable starter elsewhere as would be a whole new playbook...all new teammates here he has familiarity, a similar play book and would be so easy to integrate some of what we ran before he left...also...the Dude I'm sure just wants to be part of something, and do whatever is asked....he has stated that....so why not do it from where u know and love?...theres no team right now that can throw buckets of cash at him moreso than us...and u know Walters has $$ kicking around...been running things for 9 yrs...always has...so this yr is no diff

Well, I don’t have the firsthand knowledge of every team’s salary cap room like you do, so I can’t make an educated comment knowing we have more money than everyone else. Unless you are just guessing yourself. But if Streveler loves us so much and just wants to be a part of something, he had that option to run back here after Arizona cut him, and after Baltimore cut him, and after Miami cut him. And yet he isn’t back. And His New York performance has him in higher profile for the NFL than anything he has done since he got bumped down to 3rd string in Arizona, so I would be very surprised to see him run back north now given his NFL profile is higher now than it has been in the past 2 years. But you know sources personally as you say, so I’d love to hear who it is and what exactly they are saying as to why Winnipeg is the only place he wants to be. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The question is not how many NFL guys come up here and the. Go down for a shot. The question was how many play (or start off) in the CFL, go down and play a bit in the NFL, get cut, come back up to the CFL, play some more here, then go back down yet again after 2 CFL stints. That list seems quite short (other than Kongbo and Juran Bolden - who played one year here before he was even eligible for the NFL draft, so a different scenarios, I can’t think of others). That is the path people are suggesting Streveler should take. 

You are asking the wrong question then. The question you should be asking is how many guys return to the CFL from the NFL and don't attempt to get back to the NFL in the offseason following? Answer....not many nowadays. Most guys returning are on prorated contracts for the remainder of the year.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

in all honesty Strev is never going to get the chance to be a starter there now at his age/experience, and the likelyhood of an actual true back-up is just as slim...High draft picks and tenured NFL journeyman will get that gig first...he will be basically a PR guy now...or emergency rostered body...with no future...sad..and sucks...but that is facts...he should pro-rate himself up here...play it out and see if gates any last sniff at close of the 2022 CFL season....and if nothing materializes, then maximize his earning potential up here

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, I don’t have the firsthand knowledge of every team’s salary cap room like you do, so I can’t make an educated comment knowing we have more money than everyone else. Unless you are just guessing yourself. But if Streveler loves us so much and just wants to be a part of something, he had that option to run back here after Arizona cut him, and after Baltimore cut him, and after Miami cut him. And yet he isn’t back. And His New York performance has him in higher profile for the NFL than anything he has done since he got bumped down to 3rd string in Arizona, so I would be very surprised to see him run back north now given his NFL profile is higher now than it has been in the past 2 years. But you know sources personally as you say, so I’d love to hear who it is and what exactly they are saying as to why Winnipeg is the only place he wants to be. 

You do realize that when Arizona, Baltimore, and Miami cut him it was our offseason right?