Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

he would for sure bump off Prukop....who could be dealt for a pick...Strev could run the short yardage....I would like to see him come in for the tight end set instead of Miller....2 QB at same time set....he said he would play teams...so why wouldn't he here...lots of options, and lots of actual play time as well....he won't be on the bench thats for sure.

He's plug and play...as would be Kongbo if cut free...any one else new to the team...or CFL for that matter likely wont be immediately....I don't see us picking up an import RB...No real need as we have Mcrae, and BO/JA are the starter anyway...Don't think BO will miss anytime...maybe one game, but lets deal with that if it happens

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Strev may have extended his NFL hopes with his pre-season play. Might be a team that will PR him, and almost definitely one will pick him up in the offseason for TC if he doesn't land now. Therefore, I would say that because of his TC performance our chances of getting Strev back for a stretch run have increased exponentially. If he doesn't land somewhere in the next 10 days, his very best option would likely be to come back to the Bombers for a stretch run on a prorated one year deal and then set his sights on the NFL in the offseason again. 

I would say the chances of him coming back to the CFL on a multiyear deal are between slim and none this season. If he is coming back just to stay sharp until the end of the season it would almost certainly be with us.

Aside from fulfilling the wishes of the Streveler worshippers, why in the world would his best CFL option be Winnipeg? So he could sit on the bench doing nothing while Collaros gets every game rep? BC needs a QB right now, Edmonton would easily upgrade with him there, as would Ottawa, and Hamilton and even Saskatchewan might take a look. About the only teams not looking for a QB upgrade are Winnipeg and Calgary. Toronto and Montreal likely to run with what they have now but he would be competitive there. Streveler will do what’s best for him, not what Bomber fans want him to do for them. Don’t see him coming here at all if he is looking to play. And If he just wants to sit and wait for the next NFL gig, he would be better served sniffing around there rather than tying himself to a CFL contract until November. 

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Zero chance he ends up back here this season IMO. No way he doesnt get another look from a different NFL team after his pre-season performance. Or at the very least lands on a practice roster.

Maybe he just wants to play tho?....and coming up here and lighting it up, then getting released at end of season allows him to land somewhere again this yr, as well as stay sharp actually playing..and getting paid...Won't blame him for trying to land on a PR, and he will prob take a good month to do so..but unless it's the perfect landing with actual chance to play...or get on the roster....why....

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Aside from fulfilling the wishes of the Streveler worshippers, why in the world would his best CFL option be Winnipeg? So he could sit on the bench doing nothing while Collaros gets every game rep? BC needs a QB right now, Edmonton would easily upgrade with him there, as would Ottawa, and Hamilton and even Saskatchewan might take a look. About the only teams not looking for a QB upgrade are Winnipeg and Calgary. Toronto and Montreal likely to run with what they have now but he would be competitive there. Streveler will do what’s best for him, not what Bomber fans want him to do for them. Don’t see him coming here at all if he is looking to play. And If he just wants to sit and wait for the next NFL gig, he would be better served sniffing around there rather than tying himself to a CFL contract until November. 

dont fool yourself...every team would take an upgrade regardless of their situation....and loyalty is a real thing....and so is familiarity....friends...and team....and Strev is total team/FIFO...If he comes back...it would be here...chance to win....not a shitshow tire fire...the list goes on....All the teams u mentioned save for B.C has legit starter money tied up in their QB's...well Mtl is on the cheap now as well...but with issues there...why bother?...and you can tie yourself to a contract, with agreement to be released if you get an opp....players can get let go at any point in season

5 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Zero chance he ends up back here this season IMO. No way he doesnt get another look from a different NFL team after his pre-season performance. Or at the very least lands on a practice roster.

Would’ve also said no way the jets cut him lol. He sure should get another shot. Idk how much eligibility he has for the nfl pr left either. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Maybe he just wants to play tho?....and coming up here and lighting it up, then getting released at end of season allows him to land somewhere again this yr, as well as stay sharp actually playing..and getting paid...Won't blame him for trying to land on a PR, and he will prob take a good month to do so..but unless it's the perfect landing with actual chance to play...or get on the roster....why....

Idk he’d roster and he’d get some action. For sure a game or two at the end of the season. But he wouldn’t start. 
 It’s a tough position for him. And not fair given what he’s done and his skills. I don’t envy the decision he has to make. He is young enough though to come back here and go back down south with more leverage. I hope what ever he chooses works out well for him. 

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

he would for sure bump off Prukop....who could be dealt for a pick...Strev could run the short yardage....I would like to see him come in for the tight end set instead of Miller....2 QB at same time set....he said he would play teams...so why wouldn't he here...lots of options, and lots of actual play time as well....he won't be on the bench thats for sure.

He's plug and play...as would be Kongbo if cut free...any one else new to the team...or CFL for that matter likely wont be immediately....I don't see us picking up an import RB...No real need as we have Mcrae, and BO/JA are the starter anyway...Don't think BO will miss anytime...maybe one game, but lets deal with that if it happens

Hilarious that certain posters here continually rip LaPo for making Streveler a “gimmick QB” and ruining his pass game (a dumb take, BTW), and now people are clamouring to get him back up here to join the Bombers - to be a gimmick QB in the 2QB or tight end formation and play special teams. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Would’ve also said no way the jets cut him lol. He sure should get another shot. Idk how much eligibility he has for the nfl pr left either. 

Idk he’d roster and he’d get some action. For sure a game or two at the end of the season. But he wouldn’t start. 
 It’s a tough position for him. And not fair given what he’s done and his skills. I don’t envy the decision he has to make. He is young enough though to come back here and go back down south with more leverage. I hope what ever he chooses works out well for him. 

yup...thats the NFL for ya...I'm sure he will gets some calls...some looks/workouts and likely a PR spot....but if thats as far as he gets....he may tire of it...and he only has so much PR eligibility left...he uses that up...along with his actual roster time in ARZ...he severely reduces his window of opp too..

Just now, Booch said:

Maybe but his his window to make NFL $$$ is quickly closing. He'll always be able to come back up here. Gotta strike while the irons hot. People have short memories and there isnt going to be much demand for a soon to be 28 year old journeyman QB with 25 career regular season pass attempts. IMO he spends the rest of this CFL season looking for work down south.

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Hilarious that certain posters here continually rip LaPo for making Streveler a “gimmick QB” and ruining his pass game (a dumb take, BTW), and now people are clamouring to get him back up here to join the Bombers - to be a gimmick QB in the 2QB or tight end formation and play special teams. 

not a gimmick...he is not supplanting ZC unless he is hurt....but if he was to sign...you use him where and how you can....I stand firm in Lapo basically neutering and basically almost ruining him here....So use him as short yardage/change of pace...2 QB sets and whatever else the team see's him doing well....and god forbid if ZC goes down for the Yr...I'd feel much better rolling into playoffs with Strev than anything we have on roster right now

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

loyalty is a real thing....and so is familiarity....friends...and team....and Strev is total team/FIFO...If he comes back...it would be here...chance to win....not a shitshow tire fire...the list goes on....All the teams u mentioned save for B.C has legit starter money tied up in their QB's...well Mtl is on the cheap now as well...

I heard all about loyalty and the FIFO/team guy stuff with Kenny Lawler and Andrew Harris as well, how’d that turn out? Players go where the best money and opportunity to play lies, not where the fan base will jerk them off the most. Streveler’s best opportunity for cash and playing time is pretty much anywhere but here. We have more “legit starter money” tied up in our QB than any other CFL team, if that is your  reasoning for why he wouldn’t sign elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

not a gimmick...he is not supplanting ZC unless he is hurt....but if he was to sign...you use him where and how you can....I stand firm in Lapo basically neutering and basically almost ruining him here....So use him as short yardage/change of pace...2 QB sets and whatever else the team see's him doing well....and god forbid if ZC goes down for the Yr...I'd feel much better rolling into playoffs with Strev than anything we have on roster right now

You are exactly describing the way he was used before, and want a return to it now as “change of pace”. How loving his skill set and how he was used and saying his game was ruined in the same breath makes zero logical sense (although I know that where LaPo criticism is concerned, a lot of it is overblown emotion and over exaggerating certain flaws and ignoring positive factors). I have a hunch Streveler doesn’t feel he was “ruined”, showcasing the skills he had in LaPo’s “change of pace” playbook landed him an NFL gig, after all. 

As for better than we have, what has Dru Brown done to be cast aside this year? His one appearance under duress in the last minute led to a well-executed, game winning drive, and he knows the playbook here. When Streveler got his shot as a starter in 2019 with all the pressure on him, he failed, especially when forced to rely on him arm alone. That’s why LaPo tailored a game plan to his bull running skill set (to much more success) and why Walters went and got Collaros instead of staying with Streveler. Both those decisions won us a Grey Cup. 

Streveler has shown great strides in his passing oven his 3 years of maturing and practice at the NFL level. Would love to see him back, but it’s a pipe dream at this moment while he still has any NFL options open to him. Had he crapped out in New York instead of performing as he did, I could see him giving up the dream, but the exposure he got has extended his NFL window for at least another year. Returning to the CFL would probably be a signal to NFL teams that he is no longer interested in staying down there. But if he comes back now, Winnipeg will not be where he lands. It would make no sense compared to his other options in terms of maximizing his opportunity to ply and get paid well. 

38 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I would think he gets a PR look somewhere, but if he doesn't in the next couple of weeks he would do well to come back for the stretch run and get some more film.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I expect Streveler to stay in the NFL this year, but if he comes to the CFL, he'd be best to sign with BC. He'd make them instantly competitive again.

I bet BC is closer to the cap than a lot of people think. They have a lot of money tied up in the Rec. and their defensive back field. Rourke on the 6 game isn't saving them much as he was making under 100k I believe. Honestly his BEST option in terms of playing/being paid might be SSK (assuming Cody is 6 gamed) or Hamilton. 

47 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If he's coming back on a prorated one year deal, which is likely, then his best option is to come into an offence he is familiar with and will set up a package for him to get his film out there but most importantly to stay active and sharp. Are there better opportunities in the CFL for him? Sure....long term...but not short term. If he still has his eyes on the NFL and wants to come North to stay sharp but not ruin his chances of going South again then Winnipeg is the best destination for him.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would think he gets a PR look somewhere, but if he doesn't in the next couple of weeks he would do well to come back for the stretch run and get some more film.

NFL teams have 3 years of film on him, the good and the bad. Coming back up North after his performance in NY will not raise his profile. 

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

Exactly. If his NFL dream still lives on then Winnipeg provides him with the best opportunity for team, and individual success over a short span. The only way he should go elsewhere is if he wants to come back to the CFL on a multi-year deal because it will take him the remainder of the season just to settle in with a new team, and a new offence.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also I don't buy the come up here for some more film/stay sharp...and try again. This is his LAST shot (for multiple years anyway). If he can't find an NFL home before the end of the year, he's a CFL'er.

Who says this is his last shot? He comes up here, plays well, and maybe he gets another look with more film under his belt.

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I heard all about loyalty and the FIFO/team guy stuff with Kenny Lawler and Andrew Harris as well, how’d that turn out? Players go where the best money and opportunity to play lies, not where the fan base will jerk them off the most. Streveler’s best opportunity for cash and playing time is pretty much anywhere but here. We have more “legit starter money” tied up in our QB than any other CFL team, if that is your  reasoning for why he wouldn’t sign elsewhere. 

You are exactly describing the way he was used before, and want a return to it now as “change of pace”. How loving his skill set and how he was used and saying his game was ruined in the same breath makes zero logical sense (although I know that where LaPo criticism is concerned, a lot of it is overblown emotion and over exaggerating certain flaws and ignoring positive factors). I have a hunch Streveler doesn’t feel he was “ruined”, showcasing the skills he had in LaPo’s “change of pace” playbook landed him an NFL gig, after all. 

As for better than we have, what has Dru Brown done to be cast aside this year? His one appearance under duress in the last minute led to a well-executed, game winning drive, and he knows the playbook here. When Streveler got his shot as a starter in 2019 with all the pressure on him, he failed, especially when forced to rely on him arm alone. That’s why LaPo tailored a game plan to his bull running skill set (to much more success) and why Walters went and got Collaros instead of staying with Streveler. Both those decisions won us a Grey Cup. 

Streveler has shown great strides in his passing oven his 3 years of maturing and practice at the NFL level. Would love to see him back, but it’s a pipe dream at this moment while he still has any NFL options open to him. Had he crapped out in New York instead of performing as he did, I could see him giving up the dream, but the exposure he got has extended his NFL window for at least another year. Returning to the CFL would probably be a signal to NFL teams that he is no longer interested in staying down there. But if he comes back now, Winnipeg will not be where he lands. It would make no sense compared to his other options in terms of maximizing his opportunity to ply and get paid well. 

He aint replacing ZC....So yes he would be used as short yardage and 2QB sets...call it a gimmick if u want, but he would be the back-up QB used in plays while ZC is upright...If he was hurt...He would become the frigin QB...Not a gimmick....but continue spinning stuff to suit yer fancy....good god...He wouldnt be signed to park ZC on bench.

And apparently there was a rift with team and Harris about the FIFO culture.....so spin that how u wish too....Lawler went for $$....so guess he didnt fit in eh?...same with Harris....and to be honest we havn't really missed either as our record show...and their respective ones do....go for money..sacrifice wins...culture and stability....to each their own...others stayed for less...and will again next yr....as with Strev I have it on pretty good sources that if he were to come back to Canada for a pro-rated season (as thats all he is signing for this yr) that it will be in Winnipeg...or nowhere...take it for what its worth and spin it how you wish....But I will ride and die with what I know and have heard...and not on fan forum boards