2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

36 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sure but the best of those guys don't just show up and play.  Whatever you think of who's here now it's hard to not see a guy who spends 5 months here and then cut as a waste.  Those weeks of practice could have been spent on someone who could contribute, especially in a spot where we are have become quite thin with injuries....we've been starting a tailback at receiver for like 10 weeks.  If guys don't have it I'd hope we'd move on sooner....but will be interesting to see if Harrison signs elsewhere this week or next.

but that happens all the time in all leagues. 

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

It’s still working in Calgary too. They’re a pretty good team considering how much they lose every year.

That being said, McManus seems to be an elite level talent manager. So unless a team is willing to let him GM from Florida, he’ll keep finding all stars like Schoen & Alford.

They are. They make great veteran additions every year and find a couple gems. Plus they are the second best coached team in the league. 
yeah I don’t see any threat of McManus leaving unless it’s the same role in Hamilton and they give him a huge portion of their front office salary cap. 
 Goveia is the guy some one will poach imo. 

Further transactions made today, interpret how you will.

Transactions:

2022-10-11   WPG   HARRISON, Tavaris   WR   A   Florida Atlantic   Remove Unsigned   Free Agent
2022-10-11   WPG   KARAMOKO, Souleymane   DB   N   Laval   Add To   Free Agent
2022-10-11   WPG   KARAMOKO, Souleymane   DB   N   Laval   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2022-10-11   WPG   RUTLEDGE, Donald   LB   A   Georgia Southern   Add To   Free Agent
2022-10-11   WPG   RUTLEDGE, Donald   LB   A   Georgia Southern   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2022-10-11   WPG   HASSELL, JT   DB   A      Add To   Free Agent
2022-10-11   WPG   HASSELL, JT   DB   A      Delete From Active   Free Agent

Rutz is still very much in plans...they giving him some recharge time.

Perfect time to get these other guys some reps and see where they fit in. I was thinking that I would not be shocked to see come last game and playoffs our DB's be Rose..Nichols..BA..Lawrence and Houston with Darby at SAM and Rutz being a DI taking reps in various spots..even off the edge in some sets....and if Houston cant go then Parker in his spot.

Either scenario would be more than adequate tho I like the Houston playing option better

4 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

The Stamps held the mantel for over 10 years, they had to replace exceptional players every season and find key replacements within their organization.  They've done an excellent job of remaining competitive no matter how many player losses they sustained, season after season.  The Bombers have to adapt the same model and can't rely on doing their best with what they have leftover in the cupboard.

these two statements are saying exactly the same thing, just worded differently.... 

12 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

So wanted to shift gears away from the PR talk, and not make a new thread.    Like last year, the Bombers locked up first place with about a month left to go in the season.   In last years west final, an uncharacteristic amount of turnovers happened and I wondered how many players lacked proper focus having not played a meaningful game in over a month.  

We are in the same situation this year.  5 weeks to go until the West Final.  I know we didn't have a ton of injuries like we did this year, but is anyone at all concerned with the lack of meaningful games for 5 weeks? 

No.

16 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I agree, it comes down to efficiency, the Bombers have to do a better job of preparing future replacements for "next season" as they are now officially the #1 team in the league.  With their recent success they should expect an increased amount of envy and defection to other teams making better offers to key players. Instead of stocking the PR with temporary replacements like McKnight and future ST players, they need to prepare the next young Ellingson or Stove who have the potential to develop into players of the same caliber.

The Stamps held the mantel for over 10 years, they had to replace exceptional players every season and find key replacements within their organization.  They've done an excellent job of remaining competitive no matter how many player losses they sustained, season after season.  The Bombers have to adapt the same model and can't rely on doing their best with what they have leftover in the cupboard.

We had a ton of defections and NFL losses last year. You are not happy with Dalton Shoen, Demerio Houston, Donald Rutledge etc. I am not sure what the hell you are talking about really. Our replacement of star players had been superb and are far above what's leftover in the cupboard material. Fact of the matter is that you are always going to have fringe CFLers primarily on your PR...these are the guys who will stick around for 500 bucks a week. However, we also have guys like Carlton Adugosi stewing for a season and a half ready to serve, so I am unclear what you are getting at. You are suggesting that we are not bringing along players through scouting or off our neg lists and that is flat out incorrect. We are, and have been emulating Calgary's system for a few years now and I think, based on results, doing a better job of it than them. Honestly our depth has been tested at almost every position this year and the win/loss column shows that we are a very deep team.

Edited by GCn20

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/10/11/landrys-5-takeaways-from-thanksgiving-weekend/

Winnipeg’s Dalton Schoen is one of the lockier locks we’ve seen in years in the Most Outstanding Rookie sweeps. On Saturday night, Schoen caught three more touchdown passes and totalled 162 receiving yards in Winnipeg’s win over Edmonton. If you think there is nothing that can stop Schoen you would be wrong about that and I’ve compiled a list of things that could actually keep him from continuing his roll.

10. Winnipeg doesn’t actually have the football and the defence is on the field*
9. UFO abduction
8. Lightning delay
7. Game officials running out of footballs
6. Zach Collaros throwing to Nic Demski instead
5. Bomber fans in the end zone refusing to give him back after TD celebration
4. Jason Bourne
3. Him forgetting there was a game that day
2. End of the world
1. Oatmeal raisin cookies
*Subject to Schoen not playing defence as well.

1 and 3 seem very, very unlikely.

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sure but the best of those guys don't just show up and play.  Whatever you think of who's here now it's hard to not see a guy who spends 5 months here and then cut as a waste.  Those weeks of practice could have been spent on someone who could contribute, especially in a spot where we are have become quite thin with injuries....we've been starting a tailback at receiver for like 10 weeks.  If guys don't have it I'd hope we'd move on sooner....but will be interesting to see if Harrison signs elsewhere this week or next.

One could have said that about Carlton Agudosi a couple months ago. Some guys need a bunch of time before they can be properly evaluated. The PR is there for player development and not every player is a month on the PR type of guy, some guys need a year and are kept there because there talent is raw. I don't think it a failure in any way, shape, or form that a player is given rope on the PR and then progress is measured months later. Even Calgary has players that they simply release after months on the PR. This is not a roster development issue. Some hit, some don't. Harrison was given a bunch of time because they saw some raw talent in him, it never progressed beyond that and we cut bait...it happens and it is not roster mismanagement when it does.

12 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I'm guessing he didn't want to be on the PR. Might not be the last we see of him. If no one else picks him up, I could see him potentially being in TC next year. 

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I'm guessing he didn't want to be on the PR. Might not be the last we see of him. If no one else picks him up, I could see him potentially being in TC next year. 

I bet he back next yr in camp...tells me Lawrence is gonna take his spot on roster, with Darby, and Lawrence gonna get serious looks at HB moving forward

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

We had a ton of defections and NFL losses last year. You are not happy with Dalton Shoen, Demerio Houston, Donald Rutledge etc. I am not sure what the hell you are talking about really. Our replacement of star players had been superb and are far above what's leftover in the cupboard material. Fact of the matter is that you are always going to have fringe CFLers primarily on your PR...these are the guys who will stick around for 500 bucks a week. However, we also have guys like Carlton Adugosi stewing for a season and a half ready to serve, so I am unclear what you are getting at. You are suggesting that we are not bringing along players through scouting or off our neg lists and that is flat out incorrect. We are, and have been emulating Calgary's system for a few years now and I think, based on results, doing a better job of it than them. Honestly our depth has been tested at almost every position this year and the win/loss column shows that we are a very deep team.

Here’s the thing…you roster a guy in 5 games and don’t even put him on the field while we have a guy who’s played nothing but tailback is a starting slot.  If an American player in this league aside from QB is that poor, put someone else on the roster.  No issue with guys working up to being players…that’s kind of my point.  If you know the guy isn’t a player why keep him around?  You could have had the next guy here who could be a player for us here for the last 16 weeks.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

27 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Here’s the thing…you roster a guy in 5 games and don’t even put him on the field while we have a guy who’s played nothing but tailback is a starting slot.  If an American player in this league aside from QB is that poor, put someone else on the roster.  No issue with guys working up to being players…that’s kind of my point.  If you know the guy isn’t a player why keep him around?  You could have had the next guy here who could be a player for us here for the last 16 weeks.

So I don't like dressing guys who don't get snaps, but using mccrae as evidence is flawed imo. Team just likes nccrae.