2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

8 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I thought my post was pretty clear that I was not encouraging brawling in the stands. I am most certainly not blaming the CFL for levying a fine for a rule both they, and the CFLPA, have agreed upon. My objection is that I believe that the rule is lame, or at the very least the parameters are layed out poorly. I see no imminent danger to players interacting with their own fans.

I thought my post was pretty clear that I was not encouraging brawling in the stands. I am most certainly not blaming the CFL for levying a fine for a rule both they, and the CFLPA, have agreed upon. My objection is that I believe that the rule is lame, or at the very least the parameters are layed out poorly. I see no imminent danger to players interacting with their own fans.

It’s ok. You can have an opinion. 

;)

6 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Absolutely goes back to Shivers.

I don’t agree with any of your issues with his skin colour comments, but he was a mouthy *******. 

If you look up Roy Shivers you can see where skin colour affected his outlook & the way he approached life. Born in Arkansas in 1941, his father moved his family from the segregated south when he was young to Oakland, CA. He grew up in what was described as "The Projects". In his neighbourhood, there was only one park where Blacks could play & visit. Years later, he lost the starting qb position with his HS team because the Head Coach didn't want a black qb which enraged him. He grew up & was friends with Black Panthers founding members, Huey Newton & Bobby Seale. While never a member of the Black Panthers, he did agree with their grievances & politics. Here's a comment Riders GM Shivers made about his Head Coach, Danny Barrett, "The one thing I did get right was to hire Danny Barrett. He's a good young black coach. Most of our guys are young black kids. We've got a Head Coach that people like to play for."

Skin colour was a big issue with Shivers. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you look up Roy Shivers you can see where skin colour affected his outlook & the way he approached life. Born in Arkansas in 1941, his father moved his family from the segregated south when he was young to Oakland, CA. He grew up in what was described as "The Projects". In his neighbourhood, there was only one park where Blacks could play & visit. Years later, he lost the starting qb position with his HS team because the Head Coach didn't want a black qb which enraged him. He grew up & was friends with Black Panthers founding members, Huey Newton & Bobby Seale. While never a member of the Black Panthers, he did agree with their grievances & politics. Here's a comment Riders GM Shivers made about his Head Coach, Danny Barrett, "The one thing I did get right was to hire Danny Barrett. He's a good young black coach. Most of our guys are young black kids. We've got a Head Coach that people like to play for."

Guy flat out said he wasn't looking to hire the best coach, he was looking to hire the best black coach. 

Now I think the guy was a miserable dude without the race stuff,  but you can tell that the racism he dealt with in his life made him very very bitter and jaded towards racial issues.

yeah...kinda sad....I could see putting up with it if he had an effect on the game like a Jefferson...Davis...Rose....but man...guys is run of the mill easy to replace...plus hurts your team with penalties and stupidity...total vindication of what a joke it is there under Oday and Dicklesson

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Guy flat out said he wasn't looking to hire the best coach, he was looking to hire the best black coach. 

Now I think the guy was a miserable dude without the race stuff,  but you can tell that the racism he dealt with in his life made him very very bitter and jaded towards racial issues.

Damned few of us get a free ride in life. That doesn't mean we repeat the same stuff and not a good reason to commit seppuku as a GM. Barrett was a decent QB who played on some mediocre teams but was even less than mediocre as a head coach.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That stuff never bothered me. I understand why he feels that way. 

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

to be fair...I don't think he was ever sorry.

True.

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ban him before labour day. Don't need to risk collaros with POS players like that on the field. 

Man if he takes a shot at collaros the fall out is going to be huuuuuge

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

That stuff never bothered me. I understand why he feels that way. 

I do as well. But Shivers ran the Riders a certain way. He brought in a certain type of player. He set the culture in place for what is going on now. If you look back to the last couple of years  of him as GM, the same stuff that is happening now was happening then. The bad behaviour of players on the field & in the community. Jim Hopson did try to change that culture after he fired Shivers & Barrett but it never totally went away. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It had to. Those kind of experiences would definitely affect the way Shivers looked at life. The problem was, he never really looked for the best player. He'd look for the best black player. Or coach. As a GM, you can't bring that kind of baggage with you to work. You have to be open minded & bring in the best players & coaches regardless of colour or race. 

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I do as well. But Shivers ran the Riders a certain way. He brought in a certain type of player. He set the culture in place for what is going on now. If you look back to the last couple of years  of him as GM, the same stuff that is happening now was happening then. The bad behaviour of players on the field & in the community. Jim Hopson did try to change that culture after he fired Shivers & Barrett but it never totally went away. 

I personally think it’s a bit ridiculous to say people 20 years ago had anything to do with the culture in place now.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I personally think it’s a bit ridiculous to say people 20 years ago had anything to do with the culture in place now.

It’s amazing that Shivers can be psycho-analyzed by recollecting a comment and reading a Wikipedia page. 
Good for you to speak up.