2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Wonder if any of this is connected to the Normand fallout?

Think it's the classic "oops I don't have the money to fund operations of this team" fallout.

18 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't understand why people who think a passionate owner is a bad thing... He wasn't around long enough to make any difference but I liked where he was going... Also really like the guy out in BC... the CFL needs more owners like that and less MLSEs 

Passion and money is fine.  If I'm a Montreal player or a league executive I'm hoping the gamecheques from last week go through.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Think it's the classic "oops I don't have the money to fund operations of this team" fallout.

Passion and money is fine.  If I'm a Montreal player or a league executive I'm hoping the gamecheques from last week go through.

Not a good look for the CFL. We need stability from the owners. Playing musical chairs with owners is bad for the integrity of the game. It’s definitely concerning. 

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It is definitely a money issue. Stern could not get those handling the estate of Spiegel to continue to float cheques for the Als and he isn't a big enough fish to do it himself. At the end of the day, the Als were needing new ownership no matter what. Unfortunate that Spiegel passed just after buying the Als, but this day was coming by all accounts.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It is definitely a money issue. Stern could not get those handling the estate of Spiegel to continue to float cheques for the Als and he isn't a big enough fish to do it himself. At the end of the day, the Als were needing new ownership no matter what. Unfortunate that Spiegel passed just after buying the Als, but this day was coming by all accounts.

I’m guessing this is it.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/29/montreal-alouettes-owner-gary-stern-leaves-team-operations-resigns-from-cfl-board-of-governors/

Letter to Als fans included in article

Dear Alouette Fans and the Montreal community,

I write to you today to let you know that I have reluctantly, but firmly, decided to step away from my role on the CFL Board of Governors and my active day-to-day role as Operational Partner with the Montreal Alouettes. My one-quarter ownership stake in the team will remain.

This was a very tough decision for me and my family, but it is a final decision.

I love this team. I love Montreal and our fans.

As a life-long sports fan, my role with the Alouettes was a dream come true. I loved every minute of it.

I cannot thank our players, our staff, our fans and the Montreal community enough for everything you have done to help make my dream a reality.

Today, I am forced to share with you my current reality; I can no longer be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Montreal Alouettes.

My wife Julie and I still mourn the loss, just over a year ago, of her father Sid Spiegel, who was my lifelong partner in business and in our shared dream of owning the Alouettes. He was also my close partner in life.

His death has effectively shelved the amazing plans we had for the Alouettes.

From the time we were first approached about this opportunity in 2019 and throughout our ownership, the dream Sid and I shared was to take the Alouettes to the promised land: a strong financial foundation, a growing fan base, a Grey Cup winning team, and deeper engagement with our fans and the Montreal community. We were ready and wanted to invest long-term in the future of the Alouettes.

Due to COVID-19 cancelling CFL play, Sid, who was the 75 per cent majority owner, sadly never got a chance to see his team play. I will always regret that.

Today, decisions related to team financing and operations rest with Sid’s estate. The close partnership Sid and I had, which included our shared love of sports and our ability to grow our team the way we have invested and grown our other joint businesses for decades, no longer exists.

I wish nothing but the best for our team, our fans and our community. I remain one of the Alouettes’ and the CFL’s biggest fans. But I will be cheering from the sidelines as I return to my role as a private citizen and step back. Thank you to everyone in Montreal. I will always cherish the memories we have made.

Naylor says in there that the Als need an owner.  The estate will pay the bills now but not indefinitely.

The Als are in a pretty awful spot in terms of the revenues they get from that stadium.  Can't see the books because it's a private enterprise but I'd doubt they can even cover their football operations payroll with their general revenues. 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Naylor says in there that the Als need an owner.  The estate will pay the bills now but not indefinitely.

The Als are in a pretty awful spot in terms of the revenues they get from that stadium.  Can't see the books because it's a private enterprise but I'd doubt they can even cover their football operations payroll with their general revenues. 

Unfortunate situation for the league. Hope is resolves well.

as it sounds he is not able to run it as per his and Speigals vision now that his estate is being figured out....so would assume who ever is in charge just is paying the bare minimum required....so really he has no real purpose and pull....so was kind of hand-cuffed.....he still is leaving his 25% ownership in place, but is stepping back as a active role....I kinda don't blame him. Too bad cause I thought he was good for league and Montreal, and am very confident that a new ownership group will fill the void....it's  not like there were no bidders before...and if they can keep some wins going, and butts in seats...they will be fine

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

as it sounds he is not able to run it as per his and Speigals vision now that his estate is being figured out....so would assume who ever is in charge just is paying the bare minimum required....so really he has no real purpose and pull....so was kind of hand-cuffed.....he still is leaving his 25% ownership in place, but is stepping back as a active role....I kinda don't blame him. Too bad cause I thought he was good for league and Montreal, and am very confident that a new ownership group will fill the void....it's  not like there were no bidders before...and if they can keep some wins going, and butts in seats...they will be fine

If he is a successful businessman and a promoter of the CFL as he says, I can't see why he wouldn't try to find new partners to purchase the club from the estate, and continue onward with his plan to resurrect the franchise.  Instead of folding his tent at the first portage.  Maybe Spiegel was the successful businessman and Stern was just the fortunate son-in-law.

2 hours ago, Saidin said:

That sucks.  I didn't mind his Twitter posts pushing the league and his team.  I hope it wasn't the CFL coming down on him for it...

I feel like he was all bark. Dorman in bc is what he should’ve been. 

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

Sounds like khari dodged a bullet. What a gong show  

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Didn't they have interest from the annoying guy on Dragon's Den a few years ago?  

which guy on dragons den isn’t the annoying one? Lol

idk any thing about this guy  but seems like the problem is not him or stern  to me

https://3downnation.com/2019/06/05/dragons-den-vincenzo-guzzo-too-hot-for-the-cfl-to-handle/