2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, Tommy Pharr's stats as a qb were abysmaL. The Mississippi State grad was signed by the Bombers in 1972 & was Don Jonas backup that season as a rookie. Pharr was switched to DB in 1973 full time but was still the Number 2 qb on the Bombers that season. He contributed the most for the Bombers as a defensive back for 2 seasons. He was also a pass receiver & punt returner.

As a Bomber qb, Pharr attempted 36 passes & completed 11 for 216 yards & a 30.6% completion average. He threw one TD & 4 interceptions. He QBR was 21.3.  He was a scrambler & liked to take off with the football. He carried the ball 31 times for 244 yards with a 7.9 yard rushing average & 1 touchdown. His longest run was 40 yards. 

He was also an injury relacement at receiver catching the ball 11 times for 121 yards for an 11.0 yard average per catch & no touchdowns. His kongest reception was 28 yards.  

As a defensive back, Pharr picked off 6 passes for 131 yards & no touchdowns. He caused 2 fumbles & recovered one for zero yards.  

He returned 21 punts as a Blue Bomber for 120 yards & a 5.7 yard return average & no touchdowns. His longest punt return was 16 yards back in the day when there was no blocking on punt returns. 

So, Tommy Pharr was a handy guy to have around but I remember he really struggled when he went in at qb. 

I know he wasn’t a great player, but that didn’t stop the team and the press from calling him super sub because of all the positions he played.

2 hours ago, baxter said:

I know he wasn’t a great player, but that didn’t stop the team and the press from calling him super sub because of all the positions he played.

No, he was a good all around player. Just not a good qb. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

His highs are way too high, and his lows are way too low. Not being able to manage emotions is not a particularly good trait to have as a QB. That, and he can't hit the broad side of a barn beyond 20 yards are the two factors that will keep him in the medium wrung of CFL QBs for the rest of his career. He can execute the short and intermediate games pretty efficiently but then a few completions in a row get to his head and he starts chucking long balls....and he is terrible at them...and then his confidence is shot again. Same story with him over and over again. Against the right defence he can have success, but anyone who keep him in the pocket and takes the middle of the field away from him in coverage will beat him more often than not.

I'd like to see him get lit when he does that reverse pivot to the right to get away from pressure when the pocket collapses. He's been lucky so far but one day...

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Every time i think of cofaj, that distinct sound of a football bouncing off the uprights echos with that though. 

Followed by victorious cheers of the Bombers and their faithful... 

I wish that ball did NOT hit the uprights as it almost certainly was going to be intercepted. I hate that people think it was an act of god. Our DB had undercut that route, Even if he gets it under the bar, we still knock it down and over the bar is for sure an interception. He telegraphed that throw imo. Not to mention it was the exact same route as the previous play, The only thing hitting the bar did was take away the remote chance that they might get a pass interference call.

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, he was a good all around player. Just not a good qb. 

I'd like to see him get lit when he does that reverse pivot to the right to get away from pressure when the pocket collapses. He's been lucky so far but one day...

Everyone figured out that reverse pivot in late 2019 and his play has been average ever since.

Edited by GCn20

32 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I wish that ball did NOT hit the uprights as it almost certainly was going to be intercepted. I hate that people think it was an act of god. Our DB had undercut that route, Even if he gets it under the bar, we still knock it down and over the bar is for sure an interception. He telegraphed that throw imo. Not to mention it was the exact same route as the previous play, The only thing hitting the bar did was take away the remote chance that they might get a pass interference call.

Everyone figured out that reverse pivot in late 2019 and his play has been average ever since.

Not only that, but that would have pushed the game to OT with a successful convert... it's not like they would have won on the play even if it was completed.

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

and the previous 2 passes before that were almost picked as well. Taylor was in perfect position, and a high ball which the Faj generally throws anyway had safety support over top too....it was a pick, or a pass knockdown anyway you slice it, but the Greenies can cling to their beliefs they were a play away from the Cup...and even that isn't true....they were a play away of possibly tying it if they could make the convert

1 hour ago, Booch said:

and the previous 2 passes before that were almost picked as well. Taylor was in perfect position, and a high ball which the Faj generally throws anyway had safety support over top too....it was a pick, or a pass knockdown anyway you slice it, but the Greenies can cling to their beliefs they were a play away from the Cup...and even that isn't true....they were a play away of possibly tying it if they could make the convert

They were just lucky that the weather helped them look even respectable that game and had Woli or Demski held those catches then the game was over early.

"Winnipeg is where you want to end up" - amen.

I've been thinking about it and I'm willing to give this guy a chance to see what he can do in Buck's system and with proper weapons around him. He has yet to play on a half decent team. Let's see what he can do with the best team in the league....

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

"Winnipeg is where you want to end up" - amen.

I've been thinking about it and I'm willing to give this guy a chance to see what he can do in Buck's system and with proper weapons around him. He has yet to play on a half decent team. Let's see what he can do with the best team in the league....

Fist pick, fumble or failed 3rd down conversion and we turn on him like mayo in left in the sun, though, right? 

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ti-Cats have Schiltz.

Argos have Pipkin.

Ottawa has Caleb Evans.

Elks have Cornelius.

All better or equal to Prukop, with the last two having the upside of potentially transforming into starters.

Who is better has yet to be proven. With a decent O-line, receivers and coaching, Prokop may well turn out to be more productive.

29 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Who is better has yet to be proven. With a decent O-line, receivers and coaching, Prokop may well turn out to be more productive.

Pipkin sucked whenever he played in Montreal. I never got the hype for Cornelius last year. He was Elizondo's boy & no one else's. I'm just wondering who else the Bombers could sign right now that's available. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ti-Cats have Schiltz.

Argos have Pipkin.

Ottawa has Caleb Evans.

Elks have Cornelius.

All better or equal to Prukop, with the last two having the upside of potentially transforming into starters.

What a weird comment.

Who has the highest % percentage of all 5 QB's?   Answer is Prukop.

Who has the best TD/INT ratio?  Answer is Prukop.

Who has the best Yards per Pass average?   Answer is Prukop.

Best QB Rating ?  Answer is  Prukop.

Only qb with a 40+ yard run?  Answer is Prukop.

Now I know he's had limited reps but how can anyone say he's the crappiest guy from that list provided whe he's out performed everyone on that list?     The only one who has numbers close to him was Shiltz because he had a good year last season?  

I don't understand why this guy is a complete bum despite him playing well in his opportunities and he hasn't even entered training camp and already he's a write off that sucks because some guy in Ottawa played and tossed a tonne more ints and looked lost and somehow that makes Caleb Evans a hot prospect?

Prukop was the best option out there..and has never got a chance to do anything with a full compliment around him...he's gonna come in to do what McGuire was asked...nothing more..nothing less.

If anything we have upgraded that position this off season as we have a 5 yr CFL backup now..who has seen live bullets and knows the league.

Basically...he has done what That Faj did up until ZC got knocked out with the Riders 3 yrs ago.

Had a better arm than the Faj too

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

I wanted desperately to post "don't tell me how to play softball...." but I didn't think anyone else would get the reference....

Okay, let's go over the ground rules. You can't leave first until you chug a beer. Any man scoring has to chug a beer. You have to chug a beer at the top of all odd-numbered innings. Oh, and the fourth inning is the beer inning.