2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Doesn't sound good ....Dobson was our first rounder , that could be going up in a puff of smoke....Another league down south causing the CFL some deep concerns....I hope the buggers fold right out of the gate

In the end he is going to be there max two years if he does not get into the NFL. Its a development league in the long run he will make way more in the CFL than the USFL.

58 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Doesn't sound good ....Dobson was our first rounder , that could be going up in a puff of smoke....Another league down south causing the CFL some deep concerns....I hope the buggers fold right out of the gate

I don't think it changes much to be honest. Dobson was always a futures pick and we knew was not going to be here for 2021 because of school and 2022/23 was most likely when he was going to be chasing an NFL spot.

The USFL deal might mean he's out until 2024 but who knows if that will be the case - he was the last OG taken in their draft (with one team even opting not to take a 2nd guard) so it wasn't like teams were scrambling to grab him.  His NFL prospects also might not be as good originally speculated, if he's already decided to go the USFL route (meaning he's likely not getting drafted or signed as a priority FA so he'll need to put in more work).  

Edited by bigg jay

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Cant imagine the Bombers are happy about him signing a USFL deal. Might end up being a wasted pick. S*** happens i guess but sucks that we spent our 3rd overall pick on him.

It's a good thing we in a position where we aren't desperate for all our picks to pan out...I'm not too worried about that league to be honest...gonna have minimal if any effect in the CFL...the good players will still all be in NFL and CFL...

Realistically, when the Bombers drafted him, they thought he might get a look at the NFL and exhaust those options. This doesn't change the timeline for the Bombers. Same as Grey. 

But, I bet the Bombers didn't think they would lose two National OL in one year. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Another stupid rule that should be gone. 

Which? Rookie contracts?

Just now, JCon said:

Realistically, when the Bombers drafted him, they thought he might get a look at the NFL and exhaust those options. This doesn't change the timeline for the Bombers. Same as Grey. 

But, I bet the Bombers didn't think they would lose two National OL in one year. 

Which? Rookie contracts?

Having that rookie deal when experienced players come into the league. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Having that rookie deal when experienced players come into the league. 

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I love that the Bombers get a deal but hate that an experienced player gets treated like that. 

But, they should fix it in the CBA. Get bonuses added to rookie deal if you gain measurable experience. Not a big bump but enough to reward them for experience. 

I don't want to go back to where the player holds the team hostage. Or, where the team holds the player hostage. 

16 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

In the end he is going to be there max two years if he does not get into the NFL. Its a development league in the long run he will make way more in the CFL than the USFL.

Their season ends when ours starts. At most he misses this season before he signs a CFL deal for more money. Also, there is no working deal between the USFL and CFL preventing us from signing Dobson even after this season. If I were a betting man, I would think he is going to play spring league in the hopes it gets him an NFL look and if that fails he will be with the Bombers in early July,

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not if the NFL doesn't want them to. The NFL has been talking about a domestic developmental league in the States since NFL Europe. 

The NFL is on record, numerous times over the past several years, saying just the opposite. They have stated they have no interest in a developmental league at all. In fact the XFL approached them towards the end of their run asking for NFL support to be turned into a developmental league and the NFL said no thank you.

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Their season ends when ours starts. At most he misses this season before he signs a CFL deal for more money. Also, there is no working deal between the USFL and CFL preventing us from signing Dobson even after this season. If I were a betting man, I would think he is going to play spring league in the hopes it gets him an NFL look and if that fails he will be with the Bombers in early July,

The NFL is on record, numerous times over the past several years, saying just the opposite. They have stated they have no interest in a developmental league at all. In fact the XFL approached them towards the end of their run asking for NFL support to be turned into a developmental league and the NFL said no thank you.

XFL and NFL have an agreement to test new rules, develop coaches and test new equipment. It's all but a development league. Players development will follow, if the XFL succeeds. 

Young players want a path to the NFL. Spring leagues offer this. It's appealing for players. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

XFL and NFL have an agreement to test new rules, develop coaches and test new equipment. It's all but a development league. Players development will follow, if the XFL succeeds. 

Young players want a path to the NFL. Spring leagues offer this. It's appealing for players. 

Sure the spring leagues are appealing, just as the AAF and XFL were appealing, but they are also financially unstable to put it lightly. They can have deals worked out with the NFL on trivial matters of importance and even market themselves as an NFL feeder league just like the AAF and XFL 2019 did but without deep pockets and NFL financial support their chances of success are remote. At this point the NFL owners are pretty much unanimously against funding, or even financial support, of any of these leagues. Will the NFL use them if it doesn't cost them anything? Sure they will but that is about as far as these relationships will go. When the USFL and XFL are inevitably bleeding red ink the NFL will simply whistle past the graveyard of defunct spring leagues and tip their hat.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure the spring leagues are appealing, just as the AAF and XFL were appealing, but they are also financially unstable to put it lightly. They can have deals worked out with the NFL on trivial matters of importance and even market themselves as an NFL feeder league just like the AAF and XFL 2019 did but without deep pockets and NFL financial support their chances of success are remote. At this point the NFL owners are pretty much unanimously against funding, or even financial support, of any of these leagues. Will the NFL use them if it doesn't cost them anything? Sure they will but that is about as far as these relationships will go. When the USFL and XFL are inevitably bleeding red ink the NFL will simply whistle past the graveyard of defunct spring leagues and tip their hat.

the NFL already has a league which develops and finds players they miss...that they don't have to put money into, or any real thought other than scout..its called the CFL and hads been this way for decades...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

the NFL already has a league which develops and finds players they miss...that they don't have to put money into, or any real thought other than scout..its called the CFL and hads been this way for decades...

Jerry Jones said that NFL owners feel that the NCAA is the greatest feeder league in the world and it would be wasted money for NFL owners to pay for one. This is when he was directly asked if NFL owners had any interest in propping up the AAF. That was 3 years ago. I can't possibly see what would have changed their mind from then to now. He even stated that there are more than enough NFL ready prospects coming out of the NCAA and that development after college is a waste of time as the majority of players only have a 5 or 6 year window out of college. He stated that is why the NFL expanded their PRs and PR eligibility and that NFL teams develop players far better this way than in a different league.

I do not foresee an instance where the NFL provides any meaningful financial assistance to the USFL or XFL, and I see no chance of either being financially viable on their own. Dobson signed a contract that is highly unlikely to be valid or in place after it's first season. Every time one of these fly by night rinky dink spring leagues pop up the CFL writers predict doom and gloom, and every time they fold and hundreds of players are out there looking for work.

Edited by GCn20

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not if the NFL doesn't want them to. The NFL has been talking about a domestic developmental league in the States since NFL Europe. 

So a minor league NFL in other words. 

Americans have no interest in developmental or minor leagues 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Not true. 

Not true but not false either, they have not been historically interested enough in these leagues to make them financially viable. That is a fact. Attendance in every incarnation of the spring leagues has been abysmal and TV ratings poor. Could some of these leagues build themselves into viability eventually, maybe, but it would take billionaire ownership of each franchise to do it because it would take years to even get to a break even point and would hemmorhage money before that. It's a business model that just doesn't work in it's market. Proven time and time again.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Not true but not false either, they have not been historically interested enough in these leagues to make them financially viable. That is a fact. Attendance in every incarnation of the spring leagues has been abysmal and TV ratings poor. Could some of these leagues build themselves into viability eventually, maybe, but it would take billionaire ownership of each franchise to do it because it would take years to even get to a break even point and would hemmorhage money before that. It's a business model that just doesn't work in it's market. Proven time and time again.

yup...its more true than not....they need their fill of recognizeable and mainstream ball....follow the masses, and upstart leagues....regardless of what they are classified as don't feed the need other than that of the fans of former college stars who get that final stab at ball, where they aren't ever gonna make an NFL or CFL roster..always has been that way and always will...the one real chance they has to succeed was the original USFL....BUT...Donald Trump ruined it for them, and no league will ever get back to the point of their almost making it

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup...its more true than not....they need their fill of recognizeable and mainstream ball....follow the masses, and upstart leagues....regardless of what they are classified as don't feed the need other than that of the fans of former college stars who get that final stab at ball, where they aren't ever gonna make an NFL or CFL roster..always has been that way and always will...the one real chance they has to succeed was the original USFL....BUT...Donald Trump ruined it for them, and no league will ever get back to the point of their almost making it

And most of the guys in these leagues aren't even former ncaa failed stars. It's mostly guys who never lived up to potential.