Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

8 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I guess the irony is vets cab sign one year deals to continue to chase the NFL dream and these are the players that are the identity and faces of the CFL and the franchises but rookies have to commit for 2 years .

How is that ironic?  You think that rookies should be able to come in for one year and then hit the free market?  That might be helpful for a guy like Wilder, but for the average CFL rookie it means that he's not going to have a lot of bargaining power after one year of developing on a PR or riding the bench.  Just going to be more of a head ache for him and for the GM's.  Two years is called paying your dues.  Pay them, demonstrate your worth (or potential worth) and then you're in a better position to negotiate.

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

As someone that works in a factory/industrial setting I can tell you firsthand that my job is nowhere near as physically dangerous as a football player's job is.  Plus I can do my job baring any drastic health issues until retirement age.  The best a football player can hope for (outside Tom Brady or a kicker) seems to be late 30s.    

If a Team can cut a player whenever they like even with a contract then I have no problem with Wilder trying to get more $$$.  He may not succeed but I wish him luck all the same.

Actual footage of  BB&G at work... I can confirm it's not as dangerous as playing football.

homer_sleeping.jpg

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You may have a different perspective on this if it was Jeffcoat this year or Bond last year making these demands.  Wilder has a bigger spotlight but the principle is the same.

No I wouldn't.  I consistently take the player's side in these situations.  Football players get a rough deal.

I think Wilder is a good player but....

1.  He went undrafted coming out of college.   He has a pedigree name, and went to a big school (Florida State) so many teams would have looked and passed.

2.  He previously had 2 NFL shots  Cincinnati in 2014-2015 and Buffalo in 2016.    They evaluated him and neither kept him around.

3.  I have to believe that his NFL interest is still very limited at this point.    I don't think that a good half season in the CFL would make NFL scouts go crazy for him.   I'm sure they are prepared to "bring him to camp and lets have a look", but he won't be a top priority for them.     

4.  Teams in both leagues shy away from "holdout" players.   Some teams more than others, but any way you look at it, it will diminish his market.

Having said all that, I'm old.   I played amateur football in the '70's, but never pro.  I stopped playing when I was in university because I decided to concentrate on academics, so I can appreciate a man needing to do what he needs to do to support his family.     I've often looked back and wondered if I should have played longer.     If anyone can arrange it, I'd I'd gladly pay  50K to have his talent for a year so that I could play.   If you're only doing it for the money and not for the love of the game, I'm not sure that you will have much of a career.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

So basically Wilder is saying, he has a choice. Stay home take a higher paying job with less risk of injury. Or leave home for less money and serious risk of injury. He's gotta do what he feels is best for his family. And from the sounds of it, the CFL isn't that right now. I can stand behind that. Gotta do what you gotta do.

I can relate, in that I had to leave a job I loved dearly due to lack of pay. It was at a non profit so obviously different situation. But I didn't want to go, my employers didn't want me to go. But at the end of the day I had a child on the way and I have to take care of my family.

Not sure how anyone can fault a guy for that.

I'm sure you've been on the internet before, but then you make a silly statement like that...

How?  Because making ridiculous declarations into cyberspace about how OTHER people are supposed to live their lives and conduct their affairs and spend their money has no cost or consequences.

Now if you'll excuse me, the Bombers signed/released (insert player name here) and I'm outraged.  I'M CANCELLING MY SEASON TICKETS!!!

25 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

I think Wilder is a good player but....

1.  He went undrafted coming out of college.   He has a pedigree name, and went to a big school (Florida State) so many teams would have looked and passed.

2.  He previously had 2 NFL shots  Cincinnati in 2014-2015 and Buffalo in 2016.    They evaluated him and neither kept him around.

3.  I have to believe that his NFL interest is still very limited at this point.    I don't think that a good half season in the CFL would make NFL scouts go crazy for him.   I'm sure they are prepared to "bring him to camp and lets have a look", but he won't be a top priority for them.    

Couldn't help but notice a lot of things on this list would also show up on a list about Milt Stegall.  Drop the dates and switch Buffalo to Green Bay...

Of course there's no point in making that simple observation, cause now someone will have to lose their turds that a rookie running back was compared to Milton J Stegall.  Who, as I recall, tried to get back into the NFL three times after initially joining the Bombers.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

Couldn't help but notice a lot of things on this list would also show up on a list about Milt Stegall.  Drop the dates and switch Buffalo to Green Bay...

Of course there's no point in making that simple observation, cause now someone will have to lose their turds that a rookie running back was compared to Milton J Stegall.  Who, as I recall, tried to get back into the NFL three times after initially joining the Bombers.

True, there are many CFLer's including Milt that should have but didn't get a decent shot at the NFL.   I don't fault anyone for chasing their dream.   I just think that his chances there are slim, and I don't think his tactics will be successful.  IMHO, he'd be better off playing the year for the Argos and then taking his shot.

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

So basically Wilder is saying, he has a choice. Stay home take a higher paying job with less risk of injury. Or leave home for less money and serious risk of injury. He's gotta do what he feels is best for his family. And from the sounds of it, the CFL isn't that right now. I can stand behind that. Gotta do what you gotta do.

I can relate, in that I had to leave a job I loved dearly due to lack of pay. It was at a non profit so obviously different situation. But I didn't want to go, my employers didn't want me to go. But at the end of the day I had a child on the way and I have to take care of my family.

Not sure how anyone can fault a guy for that.

I've had employees leave for a variety of reasons. One decided she wanted to go to Denmark.  She was one of my best employees. One of my current best is considering a change. I told them both the same thing. If you're going to be happier in a different situation, from a professional standpoint I hate to lose you, but from a personal standpoint I'm happy for you and wish you luck.

So if he can't work it out with the Argo's, I can't fault him for choosing the situation that's better for him or his family, even though it sucks to lose him from the league.

8 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

As someone that works in a factory/industrial setting I can tell you firsthand that my job is nowhere near as physically dangerous as a football player's job is.  Plus I can do my job baring any drastic health issues until retirement age.  The best a football player can hope for (outside Tom Brady or a kicker) seems to be late 30s.    

If a Team can cut a player whenever they like even with a contract then I have no problem with Wilder trying to get more $$$.  He may not succeed but I wish him luck all the same.

Idk, have you only worked in machine shops in the city? Cus ive seen utterly horrific maimings out side the city in accidents. I saw one guy run over by a fork lift in the city (at a very large company no less) Out side the city ive worked at a place some one died in (less then a year before my employ at that location) Ive seen multiple awful finger crushings, (again one of them in the city at said large shop) ive seen a guy crushed under a grain bin (he lived but it was beyond life altering, and nearly fatal)  and lots of other various injuries. 

Football is dangerous, no doubt. All contact sports have danger to em. Idk if say combined games and practices a year of 55 ish is worse then 340 ish of a dangerous job. Little on more dangerous jobs. 

On one hand football players should get paid very well and im all for them getting what they deserve.  On the other hand, guys holding out pisses me off to no end. You signed the contract, you did your job. Now you want to reneg mid stream. Its allways bugged me and maybe allways will. 

13 hours ago, Jaxon said:

True, there are many CFLer's including Milt that should have but didn't get a decent shot at the NFL.   I don't fault anyone for chasing their dream.   I just think that his chances there are slim, and I don't think his tactics will be successful.  IMHO, he'd be better off playing the year for the Argos and then taking his shot.

Probably... but he could also sustain a career ending injury during that year and the CFL will just say "sorry bout that kid, have a nice life."  There's risk on both paths.

12 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

I've had employees leave for a variety of reasons. One decided she wanted to go to Denmark.  She was one of my best employees. One of my current best is considering a change. I told them both the same thing. If you're going to be happier in a different situation, from a professional standpoint I hate to lose you, but from a personal standpoint I'm happy for you and wish you luck.

So if he can't work it out with the Argo's, I can't fault him for choosing the situation that's better for him or his family, even though it sucks to lose him from the league.

The difference there is that your employees didn't go crying to the media that they aren't getting what they want.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

again, that's before taxes/exchange rate. And in the TO area.

and again, Im sure he is getting rent covered or partially covered and I doubt hes the only source of income for his family..

you cannot compare a CFL players salary situation to joe blow.  players get a lot of spiffs to cut down on the costs of them being away from home..

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

CFL really needs to get the 'option year' back or some equivalent where players can try out for NFL teams but if they don't make it, their CFL team retains their rights

Drew Edwards suggested having a signing bonus threshold for allowing players to go. If the NFL team is willing to show a commitment of $7k, for example, as a signing bonus, the player would be allowed to go. They can't go if it's just a camp invite with no commitment. I thought it sounded like a reasonable idea.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

and again, Im sure he is getting rent covered or partially covered and I doubt hes the only source of income for his family..

you cannot compare a CFL players salary situation to joe blow.  players get a lot of spiffs to cut down on the costs of them being away from home..

And you can't act like a CFL players salary sets them up to have an above average life style. If you read his interview, he says he needs to pay for room and board himself.

Anyway, I've basically said all I want to about this. It's his life/money good luck to him either way. And **** the argos!