Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

Personally, I have no issue with someone who decides to sit out.  There are risks involved.  Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  There are risks in playing.  If he's decided that the risks of sitting out are less than the risks of playing, so be it.  He knows his situation better than anyone.  Having said that, I won't shed a tear for anyone who makes $50,000 (plus food and lodging) for half a year, even in TO.  There are lots of people who make that amount (or less) annually without any of the perks, and have a family.  I'm betting  that TO has them too.   That's the reality of things.  Good luck to Mr. Wilder. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

And you can't act like a CFL players salary sets them up to have an above average life style. If you read his interview, he says he needs to pay for room and board himself.

Anyway, I've basically said all I want to about this. It's his life/money good luck to him either way. And **** the argos!

No and I agree but thats not the issue here.. the issue is he believes hes worth more then the contract that he signed and doesn't want to honour it. I'm just pointing out that he didn't get minimum wage numbers playing a sport he loves ( I assume)

but I agree its his money and life but I can't say **** the argos because they ain't in the wrong here..  He signed a contract (and they are also stating that Wilder nor his agent have contacted them about any contract issues..)

30 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Release them from the list or release them to the public?

At its recent meeting of presidents and general managers in Banff, the CFL mandated that teams release 10 names from their respective negotiation lists to the public two times a year – in February and December.

I'm guessing the public/media already knows at least that many names on each team's list so I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have... and it's still only a fraction of the list (there are 45 names) but it's a start. 

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I'm guessing the public/media already knows at least that many names on each team's list so I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have... and it's still only a fraction of the list (there are 45 names) but it's a start. 

either way, cool news imo.  I like knowing who we have our eyes on.. and who others are trying to land as well.  didn't see that second line so thanks for filling in the blanks for me. :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

54 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

that is actually a really solid idea.. and let the CFL team keep the rights?

I doubt many NFL teams would pay for players on the bubble. Despite having a lot of money NFL owners are greedy. Look at how many pay for their own stadium or even pay a fair rent. Why did Westerman get to the Bombers in the first place. Star players get big contract announcements but there are often renegotiations which are not announced that severely eat into the headlines. 

Some interesting things in this article which would contradict what some people are claiming the subsidies the players get.

Like food ... Apparently the Argos had to fight to get breakfast provided, but once it was, the cost was deducted from their pay check.

Even after settling on a facility, it was a run down old school complete with live bats in the restroom and the threat of vandals and arsonist looming around every day. As a professional, I was shocked and appalled when we were forced to beg and plead for breakfast to be provided, and then to have those meals taken out of your already small game check. As an athlete, you have to take care of your body outside of the practice and workouts. I had to find creative ways to care for my body as an elite athlete because we are unable to afford simple maintenance, which is KEY to performing as a professional athlete. There should be a professional standard, and if that was it, then it’s no wonder why we couldn’t fill BMO stadium on a good day.

Housing subsidies, apparently that is only $1,000 CDN a month.  Yep, that goes a long way in Toronto.

Off the field things were even tougher, trying to find a safe and secure place for you and your family to live with little to no time or help, proved to be mentally and emotionally challenging. Especially when you’re given a housing budget of $1,000 a month CDN which for those of you who stay in the greater Toronto area know is next to impossible. It is extremely difficult on an entry-level CFL salary to maintain a home not to mention transportation, groceries, renting internationally and taxes in two countries. It adds up quick and the math isn’t very pretty.

Taking this back to Wilder, yes he signed a contract .... I don't think people should criticize the player for deciding not to play another year if the monetary value is no longer worth it for them.   The salary is meaningless until you really understand and see hard numbers on expenses, especially having to often pay for two households.

So the argument becomes don't like it, don't play.  That is exactly what Wilder is doing.  And that should be his choice.

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

For six months of work.

Not even.

I mean really, 18 regular season games, 3 playoff games, 2 exhibition games.  That's 69 hours of work.

Doing some quick math...he's getting paid about $7million dollars an hour!  And he could easily sneak out at halftime and do a quick 15 minute shift at 7-11!  Probably was!

34 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Not even.

I mean really, 18 regular season games, 3 playoff games, 2 exhibition games.  That's 69 hours of work.

Doing some quick math...he's getting paid about $7million dollars an hour!  And he could easily sneak out at halftime and do a quick 15 minute shift at 7-11!  Probably was!

Uh, if he makes league minimum then how can he make $7 million dollars an hour? Plus you don't factor in practice times, meetings & travelling.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

They do tend to name drop a few here n there. 

I have mixed feelings about this. As a fan I love to know, I miss the days of open talk about guys on the NL. On the other hand I can see some stupid stuff taking place on social media pushing guys away from up here. I hope im wrong.

Feeling bad for some one making 77k in toronto? Nope. Lots of guys in the league are earning less then that. Did he get a signing bonus as well? How much money does he think an IMP rb is gonna get? I dont think any one is gonna give him 200k especially not the way hes acting while under a contract he agreed to. 

Im glad that right now we arent facing any of this. 

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Strategy: Trash your team so they'll get upset & release you.

He should try a strategy that gets him more then 2 sacks total after week 3. Hes like joe first half flemming, but instead of the first half of each game hes a monster for the first couple games then MIA. 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I'm surprised that in this day and age people still think pro athletes only "work" during the season of the sport they play. Lol this isn't 1980.

What you are missing is the ability to work in the other 6 monthes. You can easily still train as an athlete and work while out of competition. Like Olympians do, like amateur boxers do, many ufc and pro mma fighters, body builders, strong men, etc. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

What you are missing is the ability to work in the other 6 monthes. You can easily still train as an athlete and work while out of competition. Like Olympians do, like amateur boxers do, many ufc and pro mma fighters, body builders, strong men, etc. 

No, that part of it doesn't matter. You're claiming he only "works" at football for 6 months. And that's not true, and hasn't been for over 2 decades.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm honestly surprised players actually want to re-sign in TO. Regardless of the money. The way he describes their practice facilities etc sounds like complete trash. Especially when you compare that to what WPG and SSK has. Even CGY/BC/HAM.  Pretty pathetic.

He isn't exaggerating much. The Argo's practice "facilities" have been pretty dreadful for awhile. I doubt it stays that way though with MLSE in charge and better organizational cohesiveness.

EDIT: And while I will express my support for Butler being able to sabre rattle and try to get a better deal or a release in the same way that I did for JWJ... if I were in charge of the Argo's player personnel I'd double JWJ's salary to get him back in but I'd let Butler sit. Reality check: import D-Linemen, even elite ones (which Butler was sporadically) are easy to find... RBs who have everything JWJ does are very rare.

Edited by bluto
afterthought

All the other arguments aside what’s swaying me to the players side of things , if true, was the promise made that he would be released after one year to pursue the NFL if the interest was there. Looks like that was done before Popp was hired so even though it is not on the new management I’ve always felt that honesty and integrity  go a lot further than being stuck on the written agreement.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

No, that part of it doesn't matter. You're claiming he only "works" at football for 6 months. And that's not true, and hasn't been for over 2 decades.

Yes it does. when talking about earning power, it totally matters. Demetrius johnson was working at a best buy (iirc) while being champion and one of the best p4p fighters in the world. And kept training, Lots and lots of athletes do it. Especially in the cfl. Off season training is not the full on time consumption that is the regular season. Not even close. 

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

He isn't exaggerating much. The Argo's practice "facilities" have been pretty dreadful for awhile. I doubt it stays that way though with MLSE in charge and better organizational cohesiveness.

EDIT: And while I will express my support for Butler being able to sabre rattle and try to get a better deal or a release in the same way that I did for JWJ... if I were in charge of the Argo's player personnel I'd double JWJ's salary to get him back in but I'd let Butler sit. Reality check: import D-Linemen, even elite ones (which Butler was sporadically) are easy to find... RBs who have everything JWJ does are very rare.

I hope it does improve. If any one is gonna do it, its mlse. Id like to see the bar raised league wide to be even with top. 

Wilder is an un real talent. But he seems kinda soft. He doesnt have that consistent willingness to lower his head and push the pack. If he ran with the effort and determination of harris or messam he'd shatter the single season rushing record with an un godly YPC. If he doesnt find that, I dont think he is going to stick back in the nfl. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yes it does. when talking about earning power, it totally matters. Demetrius johnson was working at a best buy (iirc) while being champion and one of the best p4p fighters in the world. And kept training, Lots and lots of athletes do it. Especially in the cfl. Off season training is not the full on time consumption that is the regular season. Not even close.

No one is saying that. You've specially said he gets paid for 6 months of work. That is not true. Even if he's working out 1 hr a day (which is probably a bit modest but regardless) he's still working. He's not training to get better at selling TV's. He's working to get better at football.

That's all I'm saying. He's working year round on his football career. And he, like everyone other pro athlete, has to in order to compete at a pro level.

Edited by Bigblue204