Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, then, what's the big deal? Why are we talking about this? Dime a dozen.

because of the dangerous situation he could be part of creating for contract breaking here in the CFL.  Because its kind of ridiculous for a player to use the media like a soap box to get out of his contract??

Just now, SPuDS said:

because of the dangerous situation he could be part of creating for contract breaking here in the CFL.  Because its kind of ridiculous for a player to use the media like a soap box to get out of his contract??

Id let him go... But id tell him if he doesnt make it he is my teams property and he plays out his 1 year left at its current price. Thats fair. 

So.. He gets cut.. He comes back to the Argos for 50k

9 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

WIlder thinks his half a year game footage plus half a season stat totals are gonna land him a gig in the NFL?  good luck.   He wasn't some unstoppable force here.  He was solid with glimpses of great..  Now do that over a full season... you know, like he signed his freakin' contract for... and then head south.  

What if, Argo's release him to go get that NFL deal... he fails in his attempt and then comes back to the CFL.  Now, he has no contract and is free to sign with any team.  Argo's now lose that sweet contract they had with the guy AND could potentially lose him all together if they don't want to match another teams offer..  Is that fair to the Argos and their fanbase?  Oh, sure the gentleman's agreement should make that a non-issue BUT he doesn't have any true obligation to come back to the argos and resume his previously setup contract once his NFL dream has expired for the time being.

I don't really have a problem with him trying to get what he can while he can. I realize he signed a contract, but when they're not guaranteed I won't begrudge a guy trying to maximize his earnings.

Edited by sweep the leg

25 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Aww Wilder has kids... Aww.. Hes got 4 kids... Aww... Well i guess he can support them now flipping burgers. 

**** that guy. Has half a season and gets a big head already? **** this guy. 

Be fair. It isn't a Big Head scenario to not want to risk, say for example, an ACL for $45k USD, when he could make more than quintuple that even at an entry level deal in the NFL.

And no, I wouldn't play for $50k either.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I don't really have a problem with him trying to get what he can while he can. I realize he signed a contract, but when they're not guaranteed I won't begrudge a guy trying to maximize his earnings.

This.  Teams also sign those contracts & they break them all the time (often for financial reasons as well) so it's a two way street. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Id let him go... But id tell him if he doesnt make it he is my teams property and he plays out his 1 year left at its current price. Thats fair. 

So.. He gets cut.. He comes back to the Argos for 50k

this is what I would do but again, that would be a handshake agreement.  I don't know if the CFLPA allows contracts to include a clause like that.. they have to break the original contract and re-write when hes back and that opens up the whole "pay me more or I walk" situation.

2 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm torn because I do agree with you.. make the most possible in the short time window that a guy has as a ball player BUT he also is only getting this shot because the Argos gave it to him.    He owes it to them to play out the season imo.   I can't stand the concept of a player dictating terms of his contract to his GM and coaches.   Dunno, call me old school but I believe if you put your name on the dotted line, you stand by it.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Be fair. It isn't a Big Head scenario to not want to risk, say for example, an ACL for $45k USD, when he could make more than quintuple that even at an entry level deal in the NFL.

And no, I wouldn't play for $50k either.

could. might. maybe.  

or he could blow his knee out in camp at the tryout.  Or he could not make the team or even get offered a PR spot..

if if's and what's were candies and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful christmas.

Did someone compare Grigsby to Wilder Jr??  Really???

The guy is a great player and may even be the 2nd best RB in the league next to Harris.     If the CFL had guaranteed contracts I would be completely on the side of the club... but since they don't then I don't blame the guy.

I wish the league had some kind of rule where they could allow a player to try out and sign in the NFL ,  but if he ever comes back to the CFL he belongs and must follow the contract that he was originally signed for.

4 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

could. might. maybe.  

or he could blow his knee out in camp at the tryout.  Or he could not make the team or even get offered a PR spot..

if if's and what's were candies and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful christmas.

Right. Nothing is certain. Which is why sitting out a season of starvation wages to avoid 150 carries and 70-100 catches and all of the blocks that could end his, let's be real, not all that far-fetched possibility at an NFL job is his most sensible course unless the Argos pony up the dough and promise him an escape next season.

You'll note that I'm taking a player's side against my own club here...

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Did someone compare Grigsby to Wilder Jr??  Really???

The guy is a great player and may even be the 2nd best RB in the league next to Harris.     If the CFL had guaranteed contracts I would be completely on the side of the club... but since they don't then I don't blame the guy.

I wish the league had some kind of rule where they could allow a player to try out and sign in the NFL ,  but if he ever comes back to the CFL he belongs and must follow the contract that he was originally signed for.

EXACTLY. if this clause was built into contracts then I'd have no issue letting people try and get a contract down south..

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

Right. Nothing is certain. Which is why sitting out a season of starvation wages to avoid 150 carries and 70-100 catches and all of the blocks that could end his, let's be real, not all that far-fetched possibility at an NFL job is his most sensible course unless the Argos pony up the dough and promise him an escape next season.

You'll note that I'm taking a player's side against my own club here...

I am noting that and while I respect that,  starvation wages?? really????

I don't know what world you are from but 50k for 4 months of work is FAR from starvation wages.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Argos can end the contract at any moment. Wilder steps out of the tub funny and never gets another paycheque from professional football again.

and?  This was established before he signed his contact... he KNEW what he was getting into.    I don't care how the CFL does things because they have done them the same way forever.  people know what they are getting themselves into.

Just now, SPuDS said:

and?  This was established before he signed his contact... he KNEW what he was getting into.    I don't care how the CFL does things because they have done them the same way forever.  people know what they are getting themselves into.

And he has the option to sit out and take his chances the following year.

That was also established when he signed his contract.

11 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I am noting that and while I respect that,  starvation wages?? really????

I don't know what world you are from but 50k for 4 months of work is FAR from starvation wages.

4 months of work?

You train in the offseason.

Then, May, June, July, August, September and October you play for $50k.

Then, if you're lucky, you make some November coin.

Then, you wait all offseason to see if you'll be invited back.

Just now, bluto said:

Welcome to the GTA. And it's 6 months.

oh, sorry.  didn't realize toronto was suddenly dubai.   and ok, 6 months versus 4 months.    so ONLY 9300 dollars versus 14k  a month.   can only imagine how much KD and raman noodles that must buy. poor guy.  (and yes I realize he has 4 kids back home.. still pretty big cheque a month even with that tossed in..)

Just now, SPuDS said:

oh, sorry.  didn't realize toronto was suddenly dubai.   and ok, 6 months versus 4 months.    so ONLY 9300 dollars versus 14k  a month.   can only imagine how much KD and raman noodles that must buy. poor guy.  (and yes I realize he has 4 kids back home.. still pretty big cheque a month even with that tossed in..)

$50k in TO does not go far.

Then, you need to find someone willing to employ you during the winter. Then, you risk losing that job if you're still injured.

Just now, JCon said:

4 months of work?

You train in the offseason.

Then, May, June, July, August, September and October you play for $50k.

Then, if you're lucky, you make some November coin.

Then, you wait all offseason to see if you'll be invited back.

ya im REALLLLLY sure wilder was at risk of having his contract trashed and not getting invited back. 

also, you are right.. he gets to train (for free, doesn't have to pay for any facitilities) and is also given a food and housing allowance as well as his wage. 

and I also forgot to factor in his playoff money.. and bonuses if he had any in his contract.  so that oh so pathetic amount of money (lol) is actually higher then I thought..

Just now, JCon said:

$50k in TO does not go far.

Then, you need to find someone willing to employ you during the winter. Then, you risk losing that job if you're still injured.

sure does when you don't pay for food or lodging.. come on man.  also, the argos find their players gigs in the off-season, almost 100% positive on that.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

uhhh, you must be joking?? TO's cost of living is ******* insane. 50k a year is basically nothing. You won't be able to afford a 2 bedroom, or a car not even close to a house. While 50k isn't a horrible wage, there's no way in hell anyone from WPG would be able to continue their way of life if they move to the GTA for the same wage. Drastic changes would have to be made. And if you had 4 kids, yeah starving wages isn't far off.

and if 50k for a single guy who doesn't pay (or pays a reduced rate) for food and housing doesn't go far... he has some pretty messed up spending habits that should be addressed.    I get their cost of living is higher but 50 grand is 50 grand.  thats not a small amount of money. its not like we are talking 20k here.