Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

I would let Wilder twist in the breeze if I were Toronto.  Not a chance I would even entertain the notion of renegotiating his contract without an extra year of term added on. He put his name on the dotted line and the two year term and salary was the condition for the offer or it would have went to someone else. If you let a guy on a rookie contract demand higher compensation in year 2 or his release, you might as well pull up a chair at your office and wait for your other 10 rookies to walk in and demand the same.

In our league, handling the SMS is dependant on having a good portion of your roster on rookie contracts. If you open the door to renegotiation of terms of rookie contracts without adding term you are basically screwing your entire teams SMS.

there is a  double standard in sports, football anyway.

example NFL coaches..... Shurmur, Vikings, to giants, while still in the playoffs. announced defensive coordinator, the day of the game, or the next day.

talk about stupid, and double standard.

imagine if Case Keenum announced before their last game, he had signed with the Broncos. :D

all hell would break loose.

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

I find it hilarious, personally, especially because Bluto was in here mouthing off about him being the league's best RB earlier this week...

Mouthing off? Easy there, Johnny Sunshine...

And yeah, I stand by the assertion that he was, objectively speaking, by whatever metric you'd care to use, easily the best last season. When Trestman finally switched from Whittaker to JWjr, we were a different team.

As to the contract issue, I can't say I blame him and I take his side much as I took Williams' side a couple of years ago when the same thing happened in Hamilton.

$45k USD is nowhere even close to the amount that I) his play merits and, II) is near enough to justify the risk of injury which could cost him a roster spot down south for his (potentially) big payday.

I think that doubling his pay, adding bonuses and a gentleman's agreement to let him go next year if he finds a gig in the NFL is called for. And if we won't do it, then we deserve whatever comes from going from having the best guy at a position to having nobody there.

As for setting a bad precedent, well I don't think that it does because it's difficult to envision an apples to apples comparison (other than Williams), and also the Argos under Barker would let players explore their options early and it seemed to make players more likely to sign with us since we wouldn't hold them captive if they had a chance to secure their future with a big deal.

TL;DR, Pretty sure it's a negotiating ploy. Pretty sure he's sincere about it though. Pretty sure he deserves it and risking potentially many hundreds of thousands for 45k makes no sense. The Argos likely work this out.

And what about Posey...?

22 minutes ago, bluto said:

Mouthing off? Easy there, Johnny Sunshine...

And yeah, I stand by the assertion that he was, objectively speaking, by whatever metric you'd care to use, easily the best last season. When Trestman finally switched from Whittaker to JWjr, we were a different team.

As to the contract issue, I can't say I blame him and I take his side much as I took Williams' side a couple of years ago when the same thing happened in Hamilton.

$45k USD is nowhere even close to the amount that I) his play merits and, II) is near enough to justify the risk of injury which could cost him a roster spot down south for his (potentially) big payday.

I think that doubling his pay, adding bonuses and a gentleman's agreement to let him go next year if he finds a gig in the NFL is called for. And if we won't do it, then we deserve whatever comes from going from having the best guy at a position to having nobody there.

As for setting a bad precedent, well I don't think that it does because it's difficult to envision an apples to apples comparison (other than Williams), and also the Argos under Barker would let players explore their options early and it seemed to make players more likely to sign with us since we wouldn't hold them captive if they had a chance to secure their future with a big deal.

TL;DR, Pretty sure it's a negotiating ploy. Pretty sure he's sincere about it though. Pretty sure he deserves it and risking potentially many hundreds of thousands for 45k makes no sense. The Argos likely work this out.

And what about Posey...?

By renegotiating, the Argos would be giving in to the ploy of crying out to the media, which I believe does set a bad precedent.

11 hours ago, Rich said:

What kind of increase do you want?   What kind of increase can the Toronto's and BCs of the CFL handle?

Then you need to convince the CFLPA, which is run by veteran players, to negotiate to have that cap increase applied to the minimum contract amount, which is typically for rookies.   Good luck.

Can't speak for BC... but MLSE owns us now, so...

32 minutes ago, bluto said:

but a lot of times when a RB switch is made midseason it works great because of fresh legs. The key to really being the best is proving it over the course of multiple seasons. Tons of backs come in and look good when they're on fresh legs, can they sustain it? That's the mark of what makes a guy the best. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Maybe in southern Ontario........

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but a lot of times when a RB switch is made midseason it works great because of fresh legs. The key to really being the best is proving it over the course of multiple seasons. Tons of backs come in and look good when they're on fresh legs, can they sustain it? That's the mark of what makes a guy the best. 

Or anywhere else that he lined up. 122 carries, 34 of which were over 10 yards, 7 of which were over 20, 7.1/ypc. And for all intents and purposes, he only started his season in week 13...  No other rusher is in his tier.

Edited by bluto

26 minutes ago, bluto said:

Or anywhere else that he lined up. 122 carries, 34 of which were over 10 yards, 7 of which were over 20, 7.1/ypc. And for all intents and purposes, he only started his season in week 13...  No other rusher is in his tier.

Nic Grigsby was for a while also. Half a good season means nothing

13 hours ago, Jesse said:

I don’t know about you, but I sure as hell wouldn’t play football - knowing all we do today - for 50k.

last year, he felt he didn’t have any choice and had no other option to sign that contract. If he had more options now, power to him. 

dunno, I still would.

13 hours ago, Jesse said:

I don’t know about you, but I sure as hell wouldn’t play football - knowing all we do today - for 50k.

last year, he felt he didn’t have any choice and had no other option to sign that contract. If he had more options now, power to him. 

So what you are saying is you make more than 50k in 5 months of work? 

You make 10000 a month? Youd turn 10000 a month down? Ok... I guess you are a drug dealer then cuz nobody makes 10k a month in winnipeg. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Lol. Yeah... 50K for 6 months not even..never realized we had so many multi millionaires on here... 50k is good money for a year... Its great for 4 or 5 months. 

exactly... to play a game that you claim to love no less.. I'd be playing in a heartbeat.

9 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

dunno, I still would.

I'm sure it's much easier to say no to it when you had no chance to begin with. I'm old and making more than that to sit on my ass now, but if I was still in my early-mid 20s, and good enough to make a living at it, there's no question I would do it.

Edited by sweep the leg

Just now, JCon said:

He can take next season off. Then make more than twice what he'll make in the CFL next year the following year.

I don't like it but I can't blame him.

Life is short. Football careers are shorter.

If he takes a year off... Does he still get offers? Cuz reality is he had 1 good half season not even. Nic Grigsby and countless others did also. 

Just now, Goalie said:

If he takes a year off... Does he still get offers? Cuz reality is he had 1 good half season not even. Nic Grigsby and countless others did also. 

I bet he at least makes a practice roster, then can come right back up to the CFL if he chooses. He'll make more money, I'm certain of it and keep the mileage off his legs.

I think the evidence suggests that mileage matters more than age on RBs.

I dont think he does. I think hes done if he takes a year off... There are thousands of runningbacks waiting for a chance.. This guy has his right now.. Have a good season and get paid.. In a year Nobody will care what he did for 7 games 2 seasons ago. Dime a dozen in Canada and the U.S.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I dont think he does. I think hes done if he takes a year off... There are thousands of runningbacks waiting for a chance.. This guy has his right now.. Have a good season and get paid.. In a year Nobody will care what he did for 7 games 2 seasons ago. Dime a dozen in Canada and the U.S.

So, then, what's the big deal? Why are we talking about this? Dime a dozen.

Just now, sweep the leg said:

I'm sure it's much easier to say no to it when you had no chance to begin with. I'm old and making more than that to sit on my ass now, but if I was still in my early-mid 20s and good enough to make a living at it there's no question I would do it.

If someone walked up to me today and said "here's 40K to play football for 5 months..."  with all the other perks (working out, cheap housing, etc etc) and a chance to add up more game film and potentially walk into a contract in the NFL..   my bag would have been packed in an instant lol. 

WIlder thinks his half a year game footage plus half a season stat totals are gonna land him a gig in the NFL?  good luck.   He wasn't some unstoppable force here.  He was solid with glimpses of great..  Now do that over a full season... you know, like he signed his freakin' contract for... and then head south.   

What if, Argo's release him to go get that NFL deal... he fails in his attempt and then comes back to the CFL.  Now, he has no contract and is free to sign with any team.  Argo's now lose that sweet contract they had with the guy AND could potentially lose him all together if they don't want to match another teams offer..  Is that fair to the Argos and their fanbase?  Oh, sure the gentleman's agreement should make that a non-issue BUT he doesn't have any true obligation to come back to the argos and resume his previously setup contract once his NFL dream has expired for the time being.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

He can take next season off, then make more than twice what he'll make in the CFL next year in the following year.

I don't like it but I can't blame him.

Life is short. Football careers are shorter.

ya but being a dishonest contract breaker can last a lifetime.