Bombers Trade Willy for DB TJ Heath, Acquire Kevin Glenn

Atomic

17 hours ago, Mike said:

No contract in the CFL is ever a major mistake.

Chris Jones has proven otherwise:

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/09/12/riders-release-defensive-tackle-khalif-mitchell/

Khalif Mitchell’s stay in Regina has been cut short, as the Saskatchewan Roughriders announced Monday they’ve released the veteran defensive tackle.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

He just needs to get us more players like Loffler, and less like Richards and Waggonner.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Waggoner also rotates in on several defensive packages. Just because he's not a "starter" doesn't mean he's not contributing. He plays plenty and he does a good job.

And in my books Richards gets a pass because of that righteous fro he rocks. 

Interesting to hear that we have no qbs under contract for next season. Could be big turn over for us top to bottom, plus the league too. I could see glenn ray and hank retiring. I could see us only bringing back nichols and bennett next year. 

35 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Barker just told H&L that Walters demanded Heath was included. Barker resisted but after trying many times not to include him felt they had to make the deal to get a QB.

wow bent him over the barrel. I wonder why the argos didnt want glenn? Maybe only a one year stop gap, but they have some guys and have shown an ability to scout qbs very well. They gave up a ton for willy instead, and considering they are in the race for the last play off spot at worst seems odd. Even if willy pans out and becomes the best he can, theyve still given up a ton. 

On 9/11/2016 at 11:22 PM, 17to85 said:

The mistake was not protecting their Willy and getting it broken to the point where they had to trade him. They look to have learned that lesson with Nichols though. Imagine if they'd had this kind of offensive line when Willy first got here? None of those injuries, none of the constant beatings. 

Oh the irony of Kevin Glen coming back to Winnipeg. When are we going to learn and stop treating our players like crap? They didn't have to trade Willy. He was a good soldier and completely sacrificed himself for this team. How many times did he say winning was all that mattered? How many times did he say he loved the fans and the city of Winnipeg and wanted to win for them? How many times did he say he laid it all on the line for his team mates? He was a great leader and he deserved another chance behind an Oline that could finally protect him. Had we given him that chance and then traded him I would have felt a little better about it.

I still remember Doug Brown pleading with O'Shea to give Willy a break to let him heal and recover from the beatings and concussions. But O'Shea just kept throwing Willy out there for more. Even in garbage time he never gave Willy a break. Willy never complained, not once. Let's hope the football gods don't turn on us for breaking Willy and then getting rid of him for 30 pieces of silver. I hope he recovers from what we did to him and that he goes on to have a great career.

Conspicuously absent in all of this hoopla over the trade is a bonafide #1 starting QB. Can we win without one? Sure we can, but it's gonna be tough. Very tough.

Winning may be all that matters but karma is a funny thing.

Willy never turned in to that #1 bona-fide stating qb. That's the problem. He was being paid like one but didn't play like one. Bottom line. .. I was a fan of Willy but 6 and 0 without him is all that really matters. Why did he deserve another chance here? What did he show in recent memory that makes anyone think he deserved another chance. 

Drew Willy is a good guy and a class act and sure he sacrificed himself for the team... sure but so do 40 plus other players every week. Why makes drew willy so special that he deserved another chance. He was given chances but couldn't stay healthy... for all this talk about Willy vs Nichols... Nichols is 8 and 5 as a bomber QB. Willy is worse. 

38 minutes ago, J5V said:

Oh the irony of Kevin Glen coming back to Winnipeg. When are we going to learn and stop treating our players like crap? They didn't have to trade Willy. He was a good soldier and completely sacrificed himself for this team. How many times did he say winning was all that mattered? How many times did he say he loved the fans and the city of Winnipeg and wanted to win for them? How many times did he say he laid it all on the line for his team mates? He was a great leader and he deserved another chance behind an Oline that could finally protect him. Had we given him that chance and then traded him I would have felt a little better about it.

I still remember Doug Brown pleading with O'Shea to give Willy a break to let him heal and recover from the beatings and concussions. But O'Shea just kept throwing Willy out there for more. Even in garbage time he never gave Willy a break. Willy never complained, not once. Let's hope the football gods don't turn on us for breaking Willy and then getting rid of him for 30 pieces of silver. I hope he recovers from what we did to him and that he goes on to have a great career.

Conspicuously absent in all of this hoopla over the trade is a bonafide #1 starting QB. Can we win without one? Sure we can, but it's gonna be tough. Very tough.

I liked the part when O'Shea turned to the crowd and said "What shall I do then with Drew, which is called Willy?  and they shouted "Crucify him!"

Seriously, you sure love the drama...

54 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

As for QBs not being under contract for next year, I'll wager Walters is hammering out a deal for Nichols as we speak.

Durant, Nichols and Franklin plus a guy like Burris might have another year in him. All of them will be available with only Winnipeg, Montreal and Sask as possible options. I'm not concerned about the situation with Nichols, I can't imagine that he'll have a lot of suitors.  As well he's played, I'd still be hesitant to commit to him before we see how those last six games play out.

25 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Durant, Nichols and Franklin plus a guy like Burris might have another year in him. All of them will be available with only Winnipeg, Montreal and Sask as possible options. I'm not concerned about the situation with Nichols, I can't imagine that he'll have a lot of suitors.  As well he's played, I'd still be hesitant to commit to him before we see how those last six games play out.

they could be back ups on any other team with the hope of getting in and taking over. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Willy never turned in to that #1 bona-fide stating qb. That's the problem. He was being paid like one but didn't play like one. Bottom line. .. I was a fan of Willy but 6 and 0 without him is all that really matters. Why did he deserve another chance here? What did he show in recent memory that makes anyone think he deserved another chance. 

Drew Willy is a good guy and a class act and sure he sacrificed himself for the team... sure but so do 40 plus other players every week. Why makes drew willy so special that he deserved another chance. He was given chances but couldn't stay healthy... for all this talk about Willy vs Nichols... Nichols is 8 and 5 as a bomber QB. Willy is worse. 

He played like one, at times. He was even fairly consistent with awful talent around him on O, and awful systems. But this year with the best talent he's had he didnt play like a no1 on a good team. Though the talent was certainly thinner and less effective early in the season. Still when his job was on the line he performed his worst. 

he wasnt really given any great number of chances. considering how much any luke warm qb gets in this league. But now, he will. whats khari jones record? what about hank? oh wait qbs dont get w/l records to them self because its not baseball lol. Hanks record this year and last has to be pretty high, so we should want him over nichols right? right?

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/09/12/milanovich-i-see-drew-as-a-bona-fide-starter/

From maybe the 2nd best scout/developer of qbs in the cfl today. (wally will probably hold that title till he retires)

Edited by wbbfan

34 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I liked the part when O'Shea turned to the crowd and said "What shall I do then with Drew, which is called Willy?  and they shouted "Crucify him!"

Seriously, you sure love the drama...

Maybe O'Shea was expecting Willy to rise on the third day and smite the enemy?

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Do you know this for sure? Maybe behind closed doors he b**ched and sulked. Maybe he asked to be traded?? Just because he didnt say anything negative to the media doesnt mean he was a great team player. Look at Evander Kane, always saying he liked it here and didnt want to be traded, only to find out every offseason he asked for a trade. By the sounds of it, according to Lawless, Walters asked him and his agent to re-structure his contract, you know, to help the team with the cap and was told to take a long walk off a short pier. Is that being a great team guy?? The trade is a win win for both teams. Bombers get better in the short term for a player that was doing jacks**t on the bench and maybe Willy can grow a pair, stop playing scared + letting the media get to him(hinted at by Walters) and resurrect his career.

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Do you know this for sure? Maybe behind closed doors he b**ched and sulked. Maybe he asked to be traded?? Just because he didnt say anything negative to the media doesnt mean he was a great team player. Look at Evander Kane, always saying he liked it here and didnt want to be traded, only to find out every offseason he asked for a trade. By the sounds of it, according to Lawless, Walters asked him and his agent to re-structure his contract, you know, to help the team with the cap and was told to take a long walk off a short pier. Is that being a great team guy?? The trade is a win win for both teams. Bombers get better in the short term for a player that was doing jacks**t on the bench and maybe Willy can grow a pair, stop playing scared + letting the media get to him(hinted at by Walters) and resurrect his career.

Oh come on, the list of players who will willingly re-structure a deal is miniscule. It's a cut throat business and guys are always one hit away from not being able to make that living anymore. Teams can cut players at the drop of a hat so that level or consideration is automatically out the window. I have no doubts Drew was a fine team mate through all of this because it's a small league, if there were problems we'd have heard about it. The fact that you have Barker and Milanovich lamenting that they had to give up a player they didn't really want to lose and a first round pick to get Willy indicates that this wasn't a trade for the sake of making a trade but it was getting a good payment for Willy. If the price wasn't there I don't think we'd be sitting here now talking about the Willy trade. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh come on, the list of players who will willingly re-structure a deal is miniscule. It's a cut throat business and guys are always one hit away from not being able to make that living anymore. Teams can cut players at the drop of a hat so that level or consideration is automatically out the window. I have no doubts Drew was a fine team mate through all of this because it's a small league, if there were problems we'd have heard about it. The fact that you have Barker and Milanovich lamenting that they had to give up a player they didn't really want to lose and a first round pick to get Willy indicates that this wasn't a trade for the sake of making a trade but it was getting a good payment for Willy. If the price wasn't there I don't think we'd be sitting here now talking about the Willy trade. 

Players, especially ones on the decline or not contributing re-structure their contract to free up cap room in the NFL quite often, not so much in the CFL but the point is it happens. Also, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe Willy was a good soldier, maybe he was a distraction, no one will know for sure. Not sure why some people need to b***h about what might have been when we got a fantastic haul out of Toronto for a benched player. And the whole poor Willy posts with the big bad bombers ruining his life, give me a break, its football, players lose their jobs everyday. Perform or be replaced.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Players, especially ones on the decline or not contributing re-structure their contract to free up cap room in the NFL quite often, not so much in the CFL but the point is it happens. Also, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe Willy was a good soldier, maybe he was a distraction, no one will know for sure. Not sure why some people need to b***h about what might have been when we got a fantastic haul out of Toronto for a benched player. And the whole poor Willy posts with the big bad bombers ruining his life, give me a break, its football, players lose their jobs everyday. Perform or be replaced.

Reworking a contract midseason for less money is extremely rare.  I doubt they were asking to defer money to next season.

Walters himself said that they had one conversation and that he and the agent agreed that they signed a contract and that it would be honoured, much how he wouldn't appreciate Willy coming to ask for more money if he had a MOP season with time left on his deal.