Bombers Trade Willy for DB TJ Heath, Acquire Kevin Glenn

Atomic

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Lefevour was mostly outstanding in a 33-21 win over Hamilton today....Willy's not doing anything important for them next weekend.

Except possibly giving them insight into Winnipeg's offensive schemes and terminology directly from the playbook. The timing of the trade, and the starting QB injury curse that has happened wherever Glenn has gone as a back-up in the past are the only negatives to this deal IMO. But this is more of a money move for the Bombers than anything. Couldn't afford both QB's making over $600,000 against the salary cap (numbers quoted from CJOB).

The trade with Montreal is is a big meh.  We got rid of an underperforming backup qb for the king of the underperforming qb's.  So ultimately we still have an underperforming backup qb, but at least this underperforming qb is a lot cheaper.

As for the Toronto trade, I imagine that the call went like this:

Walters:  Hi Jim.  I'd like to suggest a trade.

Barker:  What's on your mind?

Walters: How about Willy for your 1st rounder next year, your 3rd rounder the year after that and TJ Heath

Barker:  HA HA HA, ya sure.  Why in the world would I ever agree to something that crazy.

Walters:  Open the attachment on the email I just sent you.

Barker:  Oh crap, someone took pictures...

It's a trade of opportunity and the timing was perfect, notwithstanding the upcoming game vs Toronto. It's perfect because the Argos were interested anyways, then they got antsy over Ray, they have just lost 4 in a row, crowds were down and Barker twitched. They may get something out of Willy that we couldn't, but we extricated ourselves from a sticky situation that had a built in timer ticking in Walters head. i.e. no trade value the closer it came to Willy's next year contract.

Walters just had to figure out the backup situation and Popp delivered that when he demoted Kevin Glenn. The mist of an idea was solidifying in Walters brain.

Ray's injury, Glenn's demotion, the question of facing Willy's return all came together and today we are better for it. 

Great Bomber trade.

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The mistake was not protecting their Willy and getting it broken to the point where they had to trade him. They look to have learned that lesson with Nichols though. Imagine if they'd had this kind of offensive line when Willy first got here? None of those injuries, none of the constant beatings. 

They only discovered this O-line combo when Neufeld went down, imagine if he hadn't?  Bond could still be sitting on the PR and their record might be 2 or 3 wins.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

40 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

who wants to play the grade the deals game?

Bombers A MFing plus. Maybe a plus plus. Legit all star db, first round pick that could be top half of the draft then a depth pick to boot the next year.

argos C minus. Got the guy they needed, but really over paid.

Bombers B+/A. If glenn can be content to be a back up and doesnt cause a distraction, or if he takes over the starting job at some point its an A. Other wise it a B+.  

als B- They needed to move on to playing a qb who could be qb of the future for them. They got some solid NI value in the pick. But looking at what we got for willy says they should have gotten some more value then that. 

Glenn must be happy to be getting out of the toxic locker-room and on a team on the upswing.  From the sounds of it there isn't cancer in the Al's locker room, it's full blown Ebola, with Carter being patient zero.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

At some point the Bombers had to cut bait & go home. Willy's time was over. I had a feeling it was. The Bombers obviously don't think Willy will progress any further developmental wise from now on. They see him everyday at practice & in meetings. There must've been something there they didn't like or were concerned about. Is Willy any better than LeFevour? Did anyone ever think we'd get anywhere near what we got from the Argos for Willy? I sure didn't. We came out smelling like a rose, I believe.

I think in a way this move is good for O'Shea as a coach, he got rid of a boat anchor tied around his neck and he should now know not to carry a trumpet into the next press conference announcing the next saviour has arrived.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Glenn must be happy to be getting out of the toxic locker-room and on a team on the upswing.  From the sounds of it there isn't cancer in the Al's locker room, it's full blown Ebola, with Carter being patient zero.

Thats true, but people said the exact same thing about jerome messam. Some previous bomber greats have been considered locker room cancer else where. Its seldom a case of one guy being the problem. More often it crops up when teams struggle. A bad situation stews long enough and eventually some one evolves into a problem. I would not write off a good player on a bad team too quickly. Any time a long time starter comes to a team to ride the bench you have that potential. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

people aren't forgetting that Heath can share intel too, are they?

He can, but his info on the offense probably wont be more effective then our own scouting, and rich stubblers defense isnt the type where seeing all the cards will win you the poker game. The possible advantage with him is how well he would know the wr's and their tendencies.  Which is also a heavy scouting thing. 

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Now THIS deserves the slow clap gif for Kyle Walters.

gl7gx3B.gif

3 hours ago, yogi said:

Nichols isn't the future

After 6 in a row at this point I don't care.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

we're running two quality back-up QBs right now and hoping for the best.....I'm not totally averse to it, for this year.

Yep.

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I am curious as to the whereabouts of Bilukudi, Mulumba and Muamba.

Bilukudi, Mulumba and Muamba? Man, the witch doctor's ear's just perked up.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

It's been said already but this is a huge win for the Bombers in terms of what they were able to get for Willy (who I do think has a great chance to re-invent himself under Millanovich) and we *DID* also get ourselves a capable backup quarterback.  That said .. I'm conflicted .. I've been hating on Glenn for so long now that in the event he has to start a game for us .. I'm not sure what I'll do.  Hah!  

At any rate, Go Blue!

11 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Am I right in thinking that this deal was signed before the Argo's played Sunday, and that we might not have done as well after the game, considering Heath and LeFevours play?????

Just a point about that.  If the deal was signed before the game, I think that Heath would officially be a Bomber and wouldn't be able to play.  Not to mention the fact that if the deal was signed and then Heath ended up getting hurt, that would "complicate" things a whole bunch.

oh, I'm sure Barker was somewhat regretting giving up Heath after watching that game, but the deal was already signed!

I do believe Willy will pan out in TO, and both parties will be fine with this deal... may take till next year for Willy to get the confidence back... but until them, let the Argos pay him big dollars to be a sports psychology experiment!

Does Glenn mean "lies to you", not "lies on you"?  Exposing the liar makes more sense in that context.  Unless someone fell asleep on him and he intends to tweet a **** pic of said person. 

Ill wager a guess and say the Als told him the demotion wasnt a big deal and that he was a part of their plan going forward.  Not a great reaction...I figured he'd not be too upset with returning to Winnipeg.

WOWSERS....you could feel something was about to break....We win this trade...Argos are going to have to give Willy a crash course on their offence BUT I expect him do well there...just not next game....Wow...Heath...like it..I was watching him perform against the Cats yesterday and he looked really proficient...Are  we loaded in the defensive back dept. or what...The draft pics are excellent and getting suitcase/ insurance Glenn is icing on the cake...My biggest worry was not having a vet. behind Nichols as a 'just in case'...Walters has filled the bill...Obviously we are looking ahead to post season and I think we've secured that and a lot for the future..(see draft pics)...Walters you did good and now we wait to see how this plays out...I'm really interested to see how Willy does in double blue...Good luck to him..