Is It Real?

Guest J5V

If someone has touched on this already I apologize but I'm wondering if this is for real. When MOS and Willy first got here we went 5-1 and we were annointing them as the second coming, myself included. Then we went into a horrible stretch that we all suffered through. Now suddenly, after almost 3 years, we have won 3 in a row and we're all getting giddy again, myself included. I'm trying to temper that with the reality of the last 3 years so I ask you, is it real? Have we really turned the corner, or is this just another blip on the radar, a cruel hoax to suck us in for another 3 years of suffering? Are there really contract extensions sitting in Wade's desk? I can't help but wonder if it's real.

Part of me says that two of the games were vs young QBs who were prone to big mistakes. But a bigger part of me says "the only thing that matters is that it's 3 wins in a row, and nothing can change that, so just enjoy it as long as it lasts..."

I don't give a **** if it's real or whatever....there's been 3 wins, and could be a good chance to tack on a few more when we come back from break. Here's hoping....

Yup. Up next is Montreal. Kevin Glenn always seems to play well against us, but that team is struggling. Good defense though. 

Labour day after that...and have to say it, "Never bet on the Bombers on Labour Day."  Still, the way this team is playing well in all 3 phases of the game, we have a chance there. We could win the next 3, but it will take more of what we have been doing these last 3 weeks.

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Part of me says that two of the games were vs young QBs who were prone to big mistakes. But a bigger part of me says "the only thing that matters is that it's 3 wins in a row, and nothing can change that, so just enjoy it as long as it lasts..."

I don't give a **** if it's real or whatever....there's been 3 wins, and could be a good chance to tack on a few more when we come back from break. Here's hoping....

Exactly. The teams that have vultured us for years playing backups that never amounted to anything didn't seem too broken up about it.

Is it really a win if your opponent had Justin Goltz under center? Past years standings say yes.

Don't forget that those backups we played beat Ottawa (Kilgore), Edmonton and Toronto (Masoli). It's not like they weren't winning. Also seemingly forgotten in all of this is that technically, we're playing our backup QB too. 

I think it would be more reasonable for Calgary to ask themselves if they're for real since four of their wins have come against us (at a time when even Montreal was able to beat us)  and Saskatchewan. 

In 2014 it was a near miracle that we were 5-1 (remember the last second game-winning drive in Montreal with Feoli-Gudino as the hero?). These three wins have been convincing and all out team efforts. Touchdowns with two minutes left from Edm and TO aside, all three of these wins have been sheer dominance. 

Is this real? Who knows. But right now I'd take this team over the 2011 and 2007 Bombers, and they both got us to the cup. 

have to be cautiously optimistic. Weve been playing banged up against banged up squads. When/if teams are healthier things could change. It could be for the better or worse. We certainly cant keep up the turn overs like we have. But we could be a ball hawking group. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

How can you not care? lol? Guess what, if the Bombers go back into the tank people are going to be extra pissed off from being given a taste of decent football.

Do I think this is real as in, we will run the table and only lose 3-4 games rest of the season? Prob not. But I think we have a decent shot at the playoffs now and that's exciting. I don't want to that go back into the toilet.

I would say I'm 70% convinced we will make the playoffs, just on the strength of our D alone.

I'm only 30% convinced we can have any hope of hosting a home playoff game. For this to be the case a lot of stuff has to go our way. But hell if we host a playoff game I'll make the trip for that.

The reality is that

-Nichols has sparked the team, 

-the defence has fulfilled its training camp promise (almost by accident but it still counts) an-

- our quarterback played his worst game in three outings and we still won. Nichols ought to keep getting better, particularly if he keeps seeing the same set of receivers and O-line.

Edited by tracker

So much depends on our Oline. If anything bad happens there and Nichols starts getting pummeled I can see the whole thing unraveling. But you know what, that could happen to any team (except Calgary for some strange reason). I think cautious optimism is probably the right way to view this. We are seeing improvement on all sides of the ball and that will make it harder for this thing to come completely off the rails as it did in 2014. We are no longer relying on Willy heroics and that is a very good thing. I hope Drew is realizing that he has more help now than he ever has and if he is called upon again he doesn't have to win the game all by himself. 

As things stand, sure I'd say it's real.  Ball hawking secondary, outstanding special teams and an at least functional, effective offence mean we're in every game at worst.  The cool thing about the last three games is that they haven't been three perfect 60 minute games - but when the three phases complement each other like they have, our chances of coming out on top are better than they have been for ages.

The miracle game winning drives of 2014 were needed in spite of our mad scientist defence and special teams gaffs.  Pretty hard to rely on those for a whole season.  In 2016 our D and ST have become the pillars and our O is finally at a stage to take advantage.  The team hasn't stopped working to get better and they're hungry.  Love being interested in how this season goes compared to battling the apathy of last year.

Given the apparent lack of heart that I thought I saw first few games, I did not expect this but....

even with injuries

completely  non expert opinion

The defence is as good as any in the league right now... maybe the best in the league at this time.

special teams are as good or better than any team

offence is decent, and easily good enough to win games. I think the offence is "clutch"

There's no reason to think they can't keep this rolling. (as long as Noeller comes back to go to games)

Edited by Mark F