Is It Real?

Guest J5V

3 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Last two games, imo. They needed a pick late in the Edmonton game to seal that one. However, it was a much stronger game than the first Hammy win.

yes I should have clarified that those 12 turnovers I was referring to were in the last 2 games... the pick by Frederick in the Edmonton game was huge...

3 hours ago, do or die said:

After a few more gulps, last night.....have concluded that there are far worse things.....than arguing about how the Bombers are winning football games....

Carry on.

certainly beats the pants off of arguing about why we are losing and what we have to do to win doesnt it?

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You are missing the point, all I am arguing is your claim of being objective. You clearly are not, almost no one is really objective here. Just accept that you're a negative person and that you are once again arguing a losing cause and we can go back to debating whether or not this team is for real. I don't care if you're a negative person, all I care about is the argument itself. 

A optimist can seldom recognize a realist, same with a pessimist. Starting by saying you have to recognize your X accept im right about it or  your wrong and then we can debate is pretty silly. That said its good for any one to openly recognize their own nature and the nature of who they are talking too as it makes things much clearer. But like I said a pessimist and an optimist tend to see each other through some bubbles esq coke bottle lenses. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I meant the 12 turnovers in the 2 most recent wins (against Tor and Ham)... For example in the weather delay game, we had a pick and a turnover on downs, both with less than 5 mins to go, that had no effect on the game... I clearly stated we needed 6 to win the game in Hamilton... we only had 2 turnovers in the Edmonton game...

I see your point but, I don't think taking away two turnovers at the end of the game tells the real story. The rain delay game was won/lost in the first quarter. It was pick 6 on Masoli's first throw, 2 and out, great punt return, 12 yard TD pass and we're up by 14. Ham has a 5 play drive ending in a fumble. We have a 7 play drive ending in a TD and the route was on. 

The last 2 turnovers in the rain delay game didn't have any effect on the outcome, because we were already so far ahead, but IMO, we wouldn't have been that far ahead except for the 4 turnovers that had already happened in that game.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I see your point but, I don't think taking away two turnovers at the end of the game tells the real story. The rain delay game was won/lost in the first quarter. It was pick 6 on Masoli's first throw, 2 and out, great punt return, 12 yard TD pass and we're up by 14. Ham has a 5 play drive ending in a fumble. We have a 7 play drive ending in a TD and the route was on. 

The last 2 turnovers in the rain delay game didn't have any effect on the outcome, because we were already so far ahead, but IMO, we wouldn't have been that far ahead except for the 4 turnovers that had already happened in that game.

so basically if they made plays they would have won and if we didnt they would have won.... Thanks Burg great analysis

COngrats TBurg,

you have out... Negafied...  Negratroned... pessimisified... you have out-Friesenned Paul Friesen:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/08/13/three-straight-wins-shows-blue-bombers-are-for-real

Three straight wins shows Blue Bombers are for real

A sprinkling of Winnipeg Blue Bombers touched down in the city around 9:45 a.m., Saturday.

With a week off, many players had already caught flights out of Toronto to other parts of the continent.

So while most of the Bombers didn't literally come back from Friday's win, this team has returned in a much bigger way.

And I don't say that lightly.

Having recorded this organization's follies for the entire length of its current 25-year run at various levels of futility, I've learned it's wise not to jump to conclusions at the first signs of promise.

And you're not going to read how this bunch is a Grey Cup contender all of a sudden.

But it's no longer the CFL's longest-running punch line, either.

There's enough evidence to say the last three games have not been a mirage. That 1-4 start? Fuhgeddaboudit.

This looks, for the first time in five years, like a playoff team.

A fan base that's been burned, ignored and outright disrespected too many times to count, and has been staying away in droves as a result, has a reason to believe again.

“It's a great roll,” quarterback Matt Nichols was saying after Friday's 34-17 dismantling of the Argos in Toronto got the Bombers to 4-4. “Anytime you can have a three-game winning streak in this league, it's not easy. We've been close and right now guys are just believing. We came in the locker-room at half-time and kind of (made) a decision: 'How do you want to feel when this game is over?'

“And we played a good half against a very good football team. It showed a lot from this team.”

Another 21 straight points – making it 31 straight since the first quarter – stunned the Argos in that second half even more than it stunned skeptical Bomber fans back home.

After a slow start that forced the defence to keep things in hand, the Winnipeg offence came to life, on the ground and through the air, while special teams stayed steady as a rock.

“We're explosive,” is how running back Andrew Harris described it, after piling up 123 yards on 19 carries, his second 100-yard outing during this three-game streak. “We're playing really physical. And we're making explosive plays. Turnovers on defence were huge. Our run game was obviously amazing. Those guys were making creases. And then Matty was slicing and dicing when we got a chance to hit 'em deep.

“A three-game win streak is huge going into the bye -- .500 after a rough start is huge for us. We're excited right now.”

It's ironic how it's happened, though.

In the off-season the brain-trust did everything it could to buy a playoff team, luring the top free agents to Winnipeg with big-money deals.

Yet two of the marquee names, receivers Weston Dressler and Ryan Smith, plus lower-profile free agents like safety Macho Harris and O-lineman Jeff Keeping, are on the injured list.

Top-dollar quarterback Drew Willy has also taken a surprise back seat, watching as Nichols orchestrates a turnaround that's been three years in the making.

Perhaps the most delicious twist in all this: receiver Clarence Denmark playing a starring role, after being cut loose in the off-season to make room for all that new star power.

The spending spree may have been an attempt at an insurance policy, but old-fashioned hard work and recruiting is just as big a part of this resurgence.

When GM Kyle Walters stood at the locker-room doorway Friday night, congratulating players as they came off the field, he was greeting unlikely starters like defensive back Kevin Fogg, O-lineman Travis Bond and receiver Thomas Mayo, all new U.S. recruits, as well as draft picks like safety Taylor Loffler (this year), guard Sukh Chungh (last year) and centre Matthias Goossen (2014).

When's the last time you could say the Bombers had enough depth to survive even minimal injuries?

That's why this feels real.

So feel free to poke your heads out again, Bomber fans.

Much of your team may be out of town for the week.

But it's back.

pfriesen@postmedia.com

Twitter: @friesensunmedia

5 hours ago, LimJahey said:

so basically if they made plays they would have won and if we didnt they would have won.... Thanks Burg great analysis

over simplification. If we didnt have a horse shoe in the rear amount of turn overs we wouldnt be on a 3 game win streak.

Football will always come down to the big plays, which more often than not are turnovers. Of course you can't always rely on turnovers but maybe next game Dressler goes deep or ST makes a few big plays. IMO it doesn't matter where your big plays are coming from - you have to have playmakers and disrupters in every phase of the game. I think they call that football...been awhile since we had it consistently 

Football is an odd game. Usually the team who wins the turnover battle wins the game. I don't get the we are lucky stuff.... I think its more about we have a pretty Damn good ball hawking turnover creating D. In football... the D can win you championships. People loved the swaggerville D... never heard how they were lucky .... just that they were good. 

Luck? Nah. Bombers are just a good team that have been capitalizing on their opportunities the last 3 games. 

The old saying is you have to be good to be lucky. I get it we probably havent played the top tier of competition besides EDM on our winning streak (which was a close game) but i think this team if they can get a couple receivers back will be pretty dangerous.

3 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

The old saying is you have to be good to be lucky. I get it we probably havent played the top tier of competition besides EDM on our winning streak (which was a close game) but i think this team if they can get a couple receivers back will be pretty dangerous.

Edmonton's not top tier this year. They've got one of the worst defenses in the league and they've won less games than we have.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Edmonton's not top tier this year. They've got one of the worst defenses in the league and they've won less games than we have.

i agree EDM is not top tier its a little early for me lol. either way the last 2 weeks have been dominant and that was Nichols first game starting.

7 hours ago, LimJahey said:

i agree EDM is not top tier its a little early for me lol. either way the last 2 weeks have been dominant and that was Nichols first game starting.

This. we still arent half way through the season. We went from last to in contention in just a few weeks. Edm has under performed, but they have the talent to make it work. 

20 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not sure who is "top tier" in the league this year besides Calgary. B.C. has one more victory than us, Ottawa just got hammered by the Als, and every other team has the same amount of wins or less than us.

Yes, Harris will give Ottawa more punch when he returns, and Collaros clearly has Hamilton playing well. But guess what? The Bombers have also been playing well for 3 weeks in a row.

I think by season's end, you'll see some very close records for the 6 teams not Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Montreal. It's gonna be a fun rest of the season.

2 hours ago, comedygeek said:

I'm not sure who is "top tier" in the league this year besides Calgary. B.C. has one more victory than us, Ottawa just got hammered by the Als, and every other team has the same amount of wins or less than us.

Yes, Harris will give Ottawa more punch when he returns, and Collaros clearly has Hamilton playing well. But guess what? The Bombers have also been playing well for 3 weeks in a row.

I think by season's end, you'll see some very close records for the 6 teams not Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Montreal. It's gonna be a fun rest of the season.

Calgary, BC and Ottawa are the only teams above .500 right now. i'd call them top tier even tho Ottawa lost big this weekend. 

Calgary's only lost to BC this year.

BC will go as far as the inexperienced Jennings can take them and that should be good enough to beat most teams.

Ottawa's confusing right now. They haven't looked that good since Burris came back, but it was enough to beat Edmonton. In danger of falling out of the top tier to be replaced by Hamilton IMO.

Wpg, Edm, Ham and Tor all with 4 wins are the middle tier.

Kilgore is Brink bad. He was 7-14 for 41 yards with 2 Ints. He's thrown 10 ints in less than 3 full games. I doubt that Toronto wins another game until Ray gets back, then they still have to fix that passing defense. In danger of falling down into the bottom tier.

Hamilton with Collaros is a different team. Sure they got lucky on the first TD yesterday, but they turned 6 TO's into 53 points against a very bad Riders team. In a couple more weeks, I think they will have moved up to top tier.

Edmonton can win games on offense alone and the defense is looking better, although playing against Kilgore leaves that up in the air. In a fight with us for the last playoff spot for the rest of the year.

Winnipeg's won 3 in a row for the first time in years based on leading the league in takeaways and all 3 facets of the team playing well at the same time.  

Montreal is in the tweener tier. Not quite good enough to be in the middle tier. Not so bad to be lumped in with Regina. If they win next week, they'll be at 4 wins which puts them in consideration for the middle tier.

Regina's in the lowest tier. Hard to put anyone else in there considering how bad they really are this year. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Calgary, BC and Ottawa are the only teams above .500 right now. i'd call them top tier even tho Ottawa lost big this weekend. 

Calgary's only lost to BC this year.

BC will go as far as the inexperienced Jennings can take them and that should be good enough to beat most teams.

Ottawa's confusing right now. They haven't looked that good since Burris came back, but it was enough to beat Edmonton. In danger of falling out of the top tier to be replaced by Hamilton IMO.

Wpg, Edm, Ham and Tor all with 4 wins are the middle tier.

Kilgore is Brink bad. He was 7-14 for 41 yards with 2 Ints. He's thrown 10 ints in less than 3 full games. I doubt that Toronto wins another game until Ray gets back, then they still have to fix that passing defense. In danger of falling down into the bottom tier.

Hamilton with Collaros is a different team. Sure they got lucky on the first TD yesterday, but they turned 6 TO's into 53 points against a very bad Riders team. In a couple more weeks, I think they will have moved up to top tier.

Edmonton can win games on offense alone and the defense is looking better, although playing against Kilgore leaves that up in the air. In a fight with us for the last playoff spot for the rest of the year.

Winnipeg's won 3 in a row for the first time in years based on leading the league in takeaways and all 3 facets of the team playing well at the same time.  

Montreal is in the tweener tier. Not quite good enough to be in the middle tier. Not so bad to be lumped in with Regina. If they win next week, they'll be at 4 wins which puts them in consideration for the middle tier.

Regina's in the lowest tier. Hard to put anyone else in there considering how bad they really are this year. 

Good analysis.

On 2016-08-19 at 10:41 PM, Mark H. said:

Football will always come down to the big plays, which more often than not are turnovers. Of course you can't always rely on turnovers but maybe next game Dressler goes deep or ST makes a few big plays. IMO it doesn't matter where your big plays are coming from - you have to have playmakers and disrupters in every phase of the game. I think they call that football...been awhile since we had it consistently 

edit, but good comment by Mark H.

Edited by Mark F