hefney signs 1-day contract, retires a bomber

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

why?

such an unnecessary post.

For all we complain about how guys these days chase the money and have no loyalty, this is a guy who went out of his way to come back and retire wearing our colors and all you want to do is question why he'd do it?

Best of luck to Hefney - one of my favorite Bombers ever.

Unnecessary?  No.. 

i actually want to know why someone, who has played on two other teams for two full seasons wants to come back and retire a bomber after bashing the team after they left.

Why would he want to retire a bomber and why would we want to let him?

I think its a valid question.  

15 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Unnecessary?  No.. 

i actually want to know why someone, who has played on two other teams for two full seasons wants to come back and retire a bomber after bashing the team after they left.

Why would he want to retire a bomber and why would we want to let him?

I think its a valid question.  

He played 3 fulls seasons (and a partial fourth) and was a 3 time all-star for us, and helped get us to the Grey Cup.  I think it's a small but classy thing for the Bombers to do, recognizing past players who have made an impact for us.

His own thoughts on why he wanted to do it:

"I loved Winnipeg. They gave me an opportunity. The fans loved me."

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

such an unnecessary post.

For all we complain about how guys these days chase the money and have no loyalty, this is a guy who went out of his way to come back and retire wearing our colors and all you want to do is question why he'd do it?

Best of luck to Hefney - one of my favorite Bombers ever.

yup. totally agree.. guy was awesome when he was here and sucks time caught up with him  (as it does all of us) but he was one of my faves as well.  glad to see him retire in blue and gold.

Do you remember how dysfunctional the Bombers organization was when they released Hefney? I don't blame him one bit. The guy was one of the hardest working, and most talented Bomber players we've had in the last decade. I'm glad at the end of the day he was able to retire a Bomber.

Just reading the Ed Tait article... 

“Playing with Jovon (Johnson), Alex Suber, Clint Kent, Joe Lobedahn, Doug Brown, Odell Willis, Jason Vega, Phillip Hunt before he went back to the NFL, Ian Logan, Johnny Sears, Deon Beasley… I’ll never forget the guys we had on that defence. "

That's an impressive group of guys we had on  the D that year...

One of my all-time favourites for sure.  I don't think he was that critical of the Bombers after getting cut.  Maybe I just don't remember correctly but did he ever say anything bad about the organization?  Not that I can recall.  And even if he did.... Burke/Mack was a total mess and any criticism would have been justified.  Just the same as the majority of fans were critical of that 2013 joke of a season.

Sounds like that injury really took a big toll on him.  All the best in the future.

It's pretty much all been said, but I'll say it anyways... Hef was my favorite Bomber for lots of reasons. He really was a tackling machine. He played with attitude and was a lot of fun to watch. His injury cut his career too short, I thought he was getting along pretty well in MTL

IIRC, he was more critical of the team before he was released than he was after.  Darren Cameron's article mentions that he got in trouble with Mack/Burke for tweeting stuff about players they cut & how Huff wouldn't put up with that kind of stuff.

Jovon has been much more vocal since leaving than Hefney ever was.

I almost forgot about his time spent toiling for our Blue and Gold. That's a nice gesture that the club would allow him to retire as a Bomber. My fondest memories of him was is his magazine and how that peaked my curiousity in in the gentler gender. A month didn't go by that the older brothers publication would go missing for a day or two. Lol. Besides the babes that he was noted for having partied and housed with, his parties sounded like a playboy's dream. The notorious clubs he opened that added to his already popular notoriety. And the iconic usage of bunny ears forever changed our culture. With all that fame and apparent wealth, I'm touched that he would choose our humble burg to say adieu.

thanks Hef! In my books, your going down as one of the great ones! 

I was a real big fan of Hefney's, until he refused to play SAM LB the one year before we got rid of him.  It was for pretty selfish reasons too.  It was because he knew where he made his money garbage and how he could get back to the NFL instead of being a team player.  He may say he was a team guy, but he proved otherwise on that occasion.  Still a real talented player and fiery competitor.