Alex Hall and Linden Gaydosh released by Panthers

Jpan85

If the only reason the 1 guy doesn't want HALL back is because he takes "too many penalties"... That's a pretty weak ass reason, I'd love to know how many penalties hall took for us the last few years compared to other pass rushing defensive ends in the league. Bet it's close. Bet it's being a wee bit overblown by the one guy. He takes too many penalties? That's the weakest biggest load of crap reason i've ever heard to not wanting a dominant pass rushing defensive end back with the blue. 

What is all this talk about Hall not being a great player?  Dude was dominant here. I would love to have him back.  The whole "not being a run stopper" thing is just a meme that really comes from him being a lean, athletic end.  Obviously he's known more for his outstanding pass rush, but I would not classify run-stopping as a weakness for him either.

Re: Etch defense.  Etch loves versatility and speed.  Hall really can only play end here but I think Etch would do wonders with having another dominant pass-rusher with a ton of speed.  Would not be surprised to see Hall wind up on occasion dropping into coverage in the flats on designed zone blitzes.

Vega-Turner-Thomas/Anderson-Hall? Sign me up.

The way Etch likes to disguise his defensive schemes, Hall wouldn't be a great fit here anyways...he's a one trick pony.

You know.. all of your excuses not to bring in Hall sound very familiar to what the arguments were against Odell Willis, who is now one of the best pass rushers in the league.

Pretty sure Hall is exactly the DL that Etcheverry likes even if he is 6'10 or whatever

What is all this talk about Hall not being a great player?  Dude was dominant here. I would love to have him back.  The whole "not being a run stopper" thing is just a meme that really comes from him being a lean, athletic end.  Obviously he's known more for his outstanding pass rush, but I would not classify run-stopping as a weakness for him either.

Re: Etch defense.  Etch loves versatility and speed.  Hall really can only play end here but I think Etch would do wonders with having another dominant pass-rusher with a ton of speed.  Would not be surprised to see Hall wind up on occasion dropping into coverage in the flats on designed zone blitzes.

Vega-Turner-Thomas/Anderson-Hall? Sign me up.

Hall would make these guys so much better by drawing away resources.  It would also allow the BB to rely less on blitz packages when playing against reasonably skilled QB's that can exploit blitzes.

I hope to god Walters doesn't listen to ETCH here, i mean seriously, how long will ETCH be here? Walters will be here longer regardless so if walters want him, Etch will have to play him.

I hope Walters signs Hall, we are severely lacking that pass rushing defensive end and Hall is that guy, I think it's a matter of time before Walters announces Hall is back in blue n gold or is it just blue? 

You do realize...that you're discussing an imaginary conversation?

The way Etch likes to disguise his defensive schemes, Hall wouldn't be a great fit here anyways...he's a one trick pony.

But it`s a hell of a trick! Look at the havoc O`Dell Willis is causing for opposing offenses in Edmonton and he`s even more one dimensional than Hall. 

This team lives and dies by the pressure it puts on qbs, Hall would be one of the best in the league at putting pressure on QBs. 

But it`s a hell of a trick! Look at the havoc O`Dell Willis is causing for opposing offenses in Edmonton and he`s even more one dimensional than Hall. 

This team lives and dies by the pressure it puts on qbs, Hall would be one of the best in the league at putting pressure on QBs. 

Willis is a better pass rusher, he just has trouble finishing.  Way more consistent pressure.  Hall is a good finisher cause he's really long and QB's can't really do much when he gets to them, but he'll go invisible for long stretches.

Where is this Alex Hall is a penalty guy crap coming from???  Are people fishing for reasons to complain???

The guy was fantastic and would be a great addition.

I think it got legs when people were trying to justify trading him last year. Now they've told themselves the lie so often they believe it.

I don't know how he compared to the rest of the pass rushers in the league, but here's the breakdown of his time with the Bombers last season

15 sacks for a total loss of 120 yards.

4 tackles behind the line of scrimmage for a loss of 11 yards.

3 forced fumbles.

7 penalties for a total of 36 yards. Only 1 rough play penalty all year for a 6 yard infraction, 6 offsides penalties.

Can anybody find individual penalty stats? It seemed like he went offside a lot. I'd be interested to see how he compared to other dl in the league.

From going over post-game stats from last season at CFL Media, when Hall was with the Bombers he went offside 10 times however 6 of those penalties occurred in two games (3 against Calgary, 3 against Hamilton) and 4 of the offside penalties were declined.

I also saw that Hall had been called for illegal interference but the penalty was offset by an Edmonton player also getting called for illegal interference (same game as the roughing the passer call). And there was an unnecessary roughness penalty in another game but that too was offset by an Argo also being called for unnecessary roughness.