Bombers @ redblacks GDT - Week 6

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The problem with letting the room control the team is it's become a highly revered "old boys club", and they've been playing together for so long their kids know them individually as uncle's.  Nobody in that room is going to step up and point out that B.A. has lost a step and probably needs to be step back from playing Safety.  That's the coach's job, but in the Bombers special case, Walters is usually the one that gets to do the dirty work.

Yep. Too many vet days off and passes for poor performance. Clearly the room does not hold it self accountable. Other wise we wouldn’t have seen a bc type game after the gc little on the ott collapse after both. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Then why does he get beat so frequently on one on ones?  

You don’t blanket guys any more. You can’t. Especially with the hash mark move but even before that, the spread offence with 5 targets on this wide field you don’t shut guys down.    And in halls system even more so, you play off and then come up to make a play. Be it tackle, knock down, or pick. 

I think the vets earned the right to have more than a few bad games, before moving on from them. 

Give them a chance to fix their game if they need.

I'm ok with that, as long as changes are made if needed.

I think they will make the necessary changes to field a better team before Labor Day.

41 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Yeah ,seems Osh is scared of hurting feelings.....

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Then why does he get beat so frequently on one on ones?  

He doesn’t, I just don’t think the majority of fans who are watching defensive backs play really have a hot clue what they’re looking for.

Defensive backs are going to get beat. It’s inevitable. Every single one of them does. The expectation of performance can’t be a 100% success rate. Look at the scheme our defense plays, the whole idea is to keep guys in front of you and not give up the big play. Now go look at Nichols/Houston’s tackle numbers compared to ADS/Lawrence/Holm, etc. the side that plays opposite of Houston/Nichols gets targeted because those two guys have essentially locked it down. The numbers are low for Houston because he rarely, rarely gets thrown at.

If Houston was as bad as you think he is, he’d be seeing a lot more targets. Teams actively gameplan to throw away from that side of the field on us. There’s a reason for that. 

Honestly not super worried about the D. They are settling in and if some guys come off the ir so much the better.  The concern is always the gameplan which can give up drives at the best of times. 

My concern is with the O. The guys in the group to struggle like they have... something is up and needs a tweak 

4 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

Yeah ,seems Osh is scared of hurting feelings....your right ,its time to turn the prick mode up.

Said this back in 2019. 

On 2019-09-29 at 2:29 PM, Deiter Fan said:

Yep. Getting pretty tired of the "guys love playing for Mike" line.

Some of my favourite teachers were the ones that asked the least of me...that pressed me the least...that held me the least accountable. It's human nature to choose the path of least resistance whether it's in our best interests or not.

Being liked doesn't make someone the best choice for a given task. 

6 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

Oh my...hope truly does spring eternal

Did Redblacks' win pave a path for the Edmonton Elks over Winnipeg?

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-elks/did-redblacks-win-pave-a-path-for-the-edmonton-elks-over-winnipeg

Idk. On one hand I don’t see us losing back to back and a home game after such an embarrassing collapse. That said I wouldn’t have seen us with two pathetic loses on the season little on in the first third. 
 It’s either a ton setter for a turn around game or it’s going to be a catastrophic collapse game. I’d be more worried about a trap game if it was in edm and if they had just fired jones. 
That trap game is more likely to be week 10 imo. 

We are at the 1/3 mark.....4-2 and thats with issues abound....most easily fixed...well really all easily fixed if addressed and not allowed to continue....this is all on Osh now to do the right thing....and pull out his inner Mathews/Murphy/Bouno

Its a 2 horse race in the West as to who is hosting a home playoff game...either WF and WSF....Not sold on the Lions at all, and also not sold on peoples worry on our demise....lots of season to sort it out, and we have seen this song and dance before early into a season

But for all the love heaped on Osh, he does need to change his ways a bit, and things will be fine...season success is all at the feet of our coaching staff and management...Lets see now if this Mafia is all that and gets it done, and not just trying to ride the season based on what worked and how they did things from 2019-2021....you don't evolve and adapt....you fall by the wayside....this is where we need to adapt and evolve in a few instances, and not worrying about hurting feelings, or feeling like you are not being loyal to this player or that player...you need to be loyal to the team and put the parts in place to make it work, and if that means taking certain guys out of the starting lineup, or even parting ways to allow the new hungry blood to make their mark....then so be it...pro sports is a cruel game, and like the saying goes...most times nice guys finish last...we are at that point now....not the finishing last part...but are a boxer on wobbly legs about to get knocked out and lose the title...We already went down in the 2022 Grey Cup for an 8 count.....if things don't change soon....we about to get knocked the eff out

I have to admit to a completely different viewpoint on Osh's style. He doesn't need to change his personality or attitude or whatever you want to define it as. The idea of the 'ass-kicking coach' frankly is antiquated. That is a quick way to burn bridges and get fired. 

He treats his players with respect and asks the same in return. There is a reason why people speak so highly of the team culture here. Nobody this far into a professional career - coach or player - should need fear as a motivator. In fact I believe it was Buono who said something like his job wasn't to motivate the players, but to get rid of the ones who need to be motivated. 

It's that sense of brotherhood that will help teams get through tough times, in my opinion. 

This team has some big issues that need to be fixed. They've also been the best team in the league by a decent distance the past few years. It was inevitable that they would come back to the pack a bit as players age and other teams improve.

I don’t think anyone is saying Osh needs to become a hard ass prick, in fact everyone sings the praises of the culture he’s created.  I think we want to see him make a few more of the tough decisions to pull players that are underperforming.  His loyalty, well admirable, may sometimes keep him from making the right moves.

42 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Osh needs to become a hard ass prick, in fact everyone sings the praises of the culture he’s created.  I think we want to see him make a few more of the tough decisions to pull players that are underperforming.  His loyalty, well admirable, may sometimes keep him from making the right moves.

This exactly.

Loyalty to one isn’t loyalty to all. We need a bit less of the first and a bit more of the second.

2 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

I have to admit to a completely different viewpoint on Osh's style. He doesn't need to change his personality or attitude or whatever you want to define it as. The idea of the 'ass-kicking coach' frankly is antiquated. That is a quick way to burn bridges and get fired. 

He treats his players with respect and asks the same in return. There is a reason why people speak so highly of the team culture here. Nobody this far into a professional career - coach or player - should need fear as a motivator. In fact I believe it was Buono who said something like his job wasn't to motivate the players, but to get rid of the ones who need to be motivated. 

It's that sense of brotherhood that will help teams get through tough times, in my opinion. 

This team has some big issues that need to be fixed. They've also been the best team in the league by a decent distance the past few years. It was inevitable that they would come back to the pack a bit as players age and other teams improve.

not coach through fear...but not always trying to be the nice guy and not hurt feelings...theres a difference...He's also uber stubborn and at times wont change, or flip the script ever so slightly as he knows thats what many are saying ..wanting...and he will not do it almost out of spite it seems....

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

yes...this