2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I've read the stuff where Walters said their window is open and they want to win this year, but IMO, 2025 is the year I'm most concerned with. We're likely to be hosting the Cup that year, the key pieces (Osh and Collaros) signed through that year.... 2025 Cup at home is the cherry on this sundae we've been enjoying the last few years and, at least to me, that's the All In year.... 

They will be all-in as long as Collaros is playing.  That's what having a QB is like...I know we don't really know the feeling.

Nevis has played one football game since the 2019 Grey Cup.

I get that people know his name but it boggles the mind that anyone thinks he could shore up a DL spot at this point in his career.

If you bring him in you're hoping he can contribute in a small way.  You're not counting on him even playing half a season, it would be a depth move.

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nevis has played one football game since the 2019 Grey Cup.

I get that people know his name but it boggles the mind that anyone thinks he could shore up a DL spot at this point in his career.

If you bring him in you're hoping he can contribute in a small way.  You're not counting on him even playing half a season, it would be a depth move.

Wonder if there has been any interest or conversation with Mike Moore, who was released by Mtl a few days ago? 

38 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Wonder if there has been any interest or conversation with Mike Moore, who was released by Mtl a few days ago? 

Maybe, but Moore plays the 3 technique spot which has never been an issue.  There's no shortage of guys coming from the US who can pass rush well from that position, I wouldn't spend money there.

The weak spot has been the nose without Richardson.  The nose spot in Canadian football basically doesn't exist in American football.  Their nose tackles are required to have basically no mobility so you're converting a 3 technique guy who's played that his whole life or if you're really lucky you find an extra athletic nose who is a bit smaller like Richardson.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Maybe, but Moore plays the 3 technique spot which has never been an issue.  There's no shortage of guys coming from the US who can pass rush well from that position, I wouldn't spend money there.

The weak spot has been the nose without Richardson.  The nose spot in Canadian football basically doesn't exist in American football.  Their nose tackles are required to have basically no mobility so you're converting a 3 technique guy who's played that his whole life or if you're really lucky you find an extra athletic nose who is a bit smaller like Richardson.

Just stuff Dobson at the nose to bull rush the snot outta interior olines....he would definitely have to have two guys double teaming him....problem solved...then You also have an extra Olineman on the roster in case of 2 injuries

I don't know enough to know enough, but maybe some of you football minds might remember better, but I remember Doug Brown talking about how Greg Marshall saved/improved his career by converting him into a "true" Nose Tackle for the first time in his career. I don't know enough about what exactly that means, but I remember Brown talking about what a big deal it was at the time....

A last small reminder about my tailgate party with the Grey Cup on Monday for anyone in the GTA East.

It's gotten a bit out of control.

Up to 140 people, 5 cooks and Molson has donated 8 cases and a local microbrewery another 6 cases.

If you're interested, please PM me.

(And if you come, you're very welcome to wear your team colours)

Edited by bluto

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

I've read the stuff where Walters said their window is open and they want to win this year, but IMO, 2025 is the year I'm most concerned with. We're likely to be hosting the Cup that year, the key pieces (Osh and Collaros) signed through that year.... 2025 Cup at home is the cherry on this sundae we've been enjoying the last few years and, at least to me, that's the All In year.... 

Don't agree. This year is more important because it is 2023. I'll worry about 2025 when it's 2025. 

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Good business practice is spending money where it makes you better, not spending money on mediocre return at a position of need.

There wasn’t a single DT available worth signing, you can’t force it into reality. We’ll have to go a different route this year with that spot because the free agent route was not available.

My comment was regarding the D-line as a whole not just DT, multiple problems appeared last year that have yet to be addressed.  Kwaku Boateng could have been a good edition, he would have replaced Kongbo and is also good enough to step in for Jeffcoat, if he ends up on the 6-game injury list again.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

My comment was regarding the D-line as a whole not just DT, multiple problems appeared last year that have yet to be addressed.  Kwaku Boateng could have been a good edition, he would have replaced Kongbo and is also good enough to step in for Jeffcoat, if he ends up on the 6-game injury list again.

Boateng is garbage.  Sure situational rusher, but to have his name in the same sentence as a guy like Jeffcoat who is the top TFL guy in his era, as well as top pass rusher, as well as a guy who drops out and covers as well as any LB in this league...silly.

Embrace the fact that you'll get to learn some new names.  Not sure why so many people lack confidence in the exact same group of personnel people who have rebuilt this roster year after year with great players.

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Boateng is garbage.  Sure situational rusher, but to have his name in the same sentence as a guy like Jeffcoat who is the top TFL guy in his era, as well as top pass rusher, as well as a guy who drops out and covers as well as any LB in this league...silly.

Embrace the fact that you'll get to learn some new names.  Not sure why so many people lack confidence in the exact same group of personnel people who have rebuilt this roster year after year with great players.

Boateng =/= kongbo. Though kongbo is sound in the run stop and more versatile. 
Healthy jeffcoat is among the best defenders in the cfl. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Boateng =/= kongbo. Though kongbo is sound in the run stop and more versatile. 
Healthy jeffcoat is among the best defenders in the cfl. 

Agreed...when healthy I'd say Jeffcoat is the best all around end...let's see how this yr pans out...but I bet if he is out for extended time again this yr we let him walk in 2024

I also still think we see a kongbo reappearance this summer too ..which would be huge

There's on a couple of CFL free agents I could see the Bombers having interest in, but will be heavily dependent on their willingness to play and play cheap/incentive laden.

Bouka, DB national, you'll mostly know him from Sask.  Has been a reasonable safety, played every position in Sask in that mess of a defense, would basically be here to cover kicks and provide depth, guy has a nose for the ball too, could see Richie Hall enjoying him being a ballhawk and a guy who can play all over.

Coleman, American DL, veteran, has been one of the most disruptive guys in the league in his prime pre 2020, but appears to be well past it.  Would be looking at him to be a rotational guy, play both inside spots, and play cheap with no guarantees.  At this point he might be retired or looking into US spring leagues.

Otherwise it'll be guys coming up from the US and draft picks.

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's on a couple of CFL free agents I could see the Bombers having interest in, but will be heavily dependent on their willingness to play and play cheap/incentive laden.

Bouka, DB national, you'll mostly know him from Sask.  Has been a reasonable safety, played every position in Sask in that mess of a defense, would basically be here to cover kicks and provide depth, guy has a nose for the ball too, could see Richie Hall enjoying him being a ballhawk and a guy who can play all over.

Coleman, American DL, veteran, has been one of the most disruptive guys in the league in his prime pre 2020, but appears to be well past it.  Would be looking at him to be a rotational guy, play both inside spots, and play cheap with no guarantees.  At this point he might be retired or looking into US spring leagues.

Otherwise it'll be guys coming up from the US and draft picks.

Bouka has  been average  or worse . Big time pass on this overrated player 

On 2/16/2023 at 7:41 PM, Geebrr said:

Are you able to share what criteria you use to record a  pressure? 

I work from the question "Was the QB able to get off his normal throw in his normal rhythm?" If not, then he's under pressure. There's other adjustments and situations. But that's where it starts for me.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:59 AM, wbbfan said:

They could do this fairly easily now by adapting how the nfl tracks them. (Hurries plus knockdowns plus sack plays) but that would also mean adapting the assist tackle / sack stat. Which would be a good thing imo. 

One minor beef I've had with QB hits as a proxy for pressure is: if the QB didn't see the hit coming and it happens after he releases the ball, was he really under pressure? 

That said I wish I'd tracked QB hits all along the way. There'd be some interesting stories in there.

41 minutes ago, DTonOB said:

I work from the question "Was the QB able to get off his normal throw in his normal rhythm?" If not, then he's under pressure. There's other adjustments and situations. But that's where it starts for me.

One minor beef I've had with QB hits as a proxy for pressure is: if the QB didn't see the hit coming and it happens after he releases the ball, was he really under pressure? 

That said I wish I'd tracked QB hits all along the way. There'd be some interesting stories in there.

I can understand that. If the cfl tracked hits and pressures it would certainly be ideal. I love to track it during the games, it’s such a critical impact on the game. You can really see the flow of the game alter as the qb gets hit 5 times and more.