2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

36 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not sure why we're hating on Blake, he's not terrible. Certainly an upgrade for them, even if he's old as hell. Godber sucks, not quite sure I get the idea they're going for there. 

Don't hate the dude...he's average now..but when you trying to rebuild..and gain some consistency then going after a dude in his last yr likely and not a long term answer isn't prob not the smart way to go about it...

36 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not sure why we're hating on Blake, he's not terrible. Certainly an upgrade for them, even if he's old as hell. Godber sucks, not quite sure I get the idea they're going for there. 

I'm not sure why they spent money on a centre.  That's the only spot they had a good player between Clark and Bandy.  Blake is a solid guard, Ferland probably the other guard (meh) Bandy might be ok, Godber at centre, total question marks at tackle.

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

Don't hate the dude...he's average now..but when you trying to rebuild..and gain some consistency then going after a dude in his last yr likely and not a long term answer isn't prob not the smart way to go about it...

It takes years to rebuild an OL as we found out here. The Riders are hoping a couple of old veterans will turn things around. Which it won't.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The Riders are trying to become competitive overnight but they have so many problems from the GM on down to, well everything that they are likely just delaying the inevitable housecleaning for one more year after flubbing the playoffs again.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

The Riders needed to sign like 2 of the top 5 free agent o-linemen.   That would be a success IMO, anything less is a fail.  

At minimum to fix their situ...and all on 2-3 yr deals...they signed 3...one was a PR journeyman we ditched...one an aging in decline last yr likely stop gap...and another from B.C who is average at best and likely hit his peak...epic fail

Basically their whole compliment of import starting receivers are gone..they lost 2 Canadian ones...mind you they weren't any good..but still depth...signed a second tier receiver in Jake W ...Brescasin who is meh and a bandaid and Bane outta CGY...who is nothing as of yet... potential sure...but it may not materialize in that system.

Toss in a rookie OC...likely trying to install a new system with a new QB...oldest and least mobile in the league...who has history of showing he wilts under pressure...now behind what is likely worst online in league...again...and ho hum gosh they tried hard HC running the show...yup...I like their chances...chances to maybe match last yrs wins if they are lucky

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Dan Clark is a piece of duct tape away from his knees falling off. Couldn't run it back with him, he is toast. Everyone else worth a snot said hell no. On Blake, it's not so much the fact that they signed his ancient ass, it's where it looks like they are playing him...OT. Last year he ranked last in the league, behind Sasks OTs even, in pressures allowed per game. He is a pylon at OT. He was serviceable at OG but doesn't represent much of an upgrade at this point of his career over Johnson.

Edited by GCn20

8 hours ago, Booch said:

At minimum to fix their situ...and all on 2-3 yr deals...they signed 3...one was a PR journeyman we ditched...one an aging in decline last yr likely stop gap...and another from B.C who is average at best and likely hit his peak...epic fail

Basically their whole compliment of import starting receivers are gone..they lost 2 Canadian ones...mind you they weren't any good..but still depth...signed a second tier receiver in Jake W ...Brescasin who is meh and a bandaid and Bane outta CGY...who is nothing as of yet... potential sure...but it may not materialize in that system.

Toss in a rookie OC...likely trying to install a new system with a new QB...oldest and least mobile in the league...who has history of showing he wilts under pressure...now behind what is likely worst online in league...again...and ho hum gosh they tried hard HC running the show...yup...I like their chances...chances to maybe match last yrs wins if they are lucky

Bane is 5'9 - 180. Fast for sure, but the knock on him is he is easily taken off his route if a DB plays him physical at the line. Maybe he gets better at it, but they had the same guy in Moore really, only Moore was a more polished receiver. Bane needs to be seriously coached up, and it's why he played his way OUT of Calgary's lineup.

My take on the RIders is that they still only possess 2 OL that are starting calibre players, and both of those are well below league average. They have no OTs to speak of, and Ferland is not starting calibre in this league. Their receiving corps is the worst in the league by A LOT, and their QB is a guy who has demonstrated he is not very capable when teams pressure him.  On defence, they have lost one half of a good LBer duo, and their DL and secondary look average at best. This is a last place recipe.

50 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don’t think you are accounting for the fact that he has “always wanted to play” in the Gap. 

Based on how many guys the Riders put offers on and were rejected by, the people who want to go to the Gap this year are a very small minority. JOD swung and missed a crap load in FA this year. A lot of players reportedly took less money to go elsewhere. Imagine how much better the RIders look if they get Couture, Desjarlais, and Figueroa for instance and that is just 3 of many that took less money elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Sooo....now we know that Ellingson has had one too many concussions:

May be an image of 1 person and text

I have a feeling that exact quote would have been used if Maas and Cody were still in Regina.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

So do the Argos hand the keys to Chad Kelly or do they deal for Evans? Have to assume the Cats demand a lot for their QEW rivals.

They can't/won't keep Evans.

Likely they've suspected that MBT wasn't returning and didn't want to release Evans so he could immediately drive up the QEW to us. They'll hold him as long as they can.

Dane Evans might be mentally fragile, but he's a far better QB than MBT or his ancestors. I'll take Dane's anxiety/depression over MBT's crazy every day of the week... Chad Kelly SEEMS like an arrogant prick, based on some quotes so far, and I'm not sure if he can actually back up some of the things he's said...