2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

8 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Or, if it is more simple- why isn’t it an official statistic?

The CFL tried to officially track pressures in 2017. But they ran into the trouble of having stats people in 9 different stadiums trying to interpret what a pressure is. So they stopped.

You're 100% right that it's subjective, even among coaches. Some I've talked to say "Moving a QB off his spot is a pressure". Others have said a QB doing a routine climb of the pocket in not a QB under pressure. QBs inviting a DE in to sell a screen pass...is that pressure? Those are a just a couple of the ones you run into.

1 hour ago, DTonOB said:

The CFL tried to officially track pressures in 2017. But they ran into the trouble of having stats people in 9 different stadiums trying to interpret what a pressure is. So they stopped.

You're 100% right that it's subjective, even among coaches. Some I've talked to say "Moving a QB off his spot is a pressure". Others have said a QB doing a routine climb of the pocket in not a QB under pressure. QBs inviting a DE in to sell a screen pass...is that pressure? Those are a just a couple of the ones you run into.

Right. 

Are you able to share what criteria you use to record a  pressure? 

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

The MLS publishes salaries and they have plenty of players making less than 70k. I think its time for the CFL to reconsider. The CFL could have a lot more chatter if fans could discuss the exact salary implications of each move a team makes and analyze deeply how one team spends its money compared to another. 

That would definetley provide more ammunition for squabbles.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I’d be shocked if Hamilton traded us Bennett.

I’d also be shocked if we didn’t heavily consider the idea of trying to trade for him or someone like him. They’ve made it pretty clear that this year is *the* year for us, our first round draft pick probably isn’t going to contribute at the level a third year Canadian can. Sure, you can try and sign him next offseason but we want to win now.

I’d offer up our first rounder without hesitation. I think it’d take more 

I think it would take more too. There is no way anyone wants to help us via trade. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Step one: have Brady call his former und teammate Bennett. Have him tell Hamilton he will  not reup with them in 2024.

Step two: KW offers Hamilton our first for Bennett.

Bennett is bomber.

I can’t see Hamilton, in a Grey Cup hosting year, taking futures from one of their biggest obstacles in order to improve them in the now unless you absolutely blew them away with an offer.

I can see Hamilton saying no to our next two first rounders, to be honest. Only kind of trade I can maybe see working is something along the lines of Dobson for Bennett, which is probably a trade I’d make but you have to think long and hard about it now that we don’t really have any upcoming OL in the pipeline and Desjarlais isn’t coming back.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I can’t see Hamilton, in a Grey Cup hosting year, taking futures from one of their biggest obstacles in order to improve them in the now unless you absolutely blew them away with an offer.

I can see Hamilton saying no to our next two first rounders, to be honest. Only kind of trade I can maybe see working is something along the lines of Dobson for Bennett, which is probably a trade I’d make but you have to think long and hard about it now that we don’t really have any upcoming OL in the pipeline and Desjarlais isn’t coming back.

Everything costs something and the more you want, the more you have to give. 

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

As far as penalties go for exceeding the cap you are correct, except you forgot to mention that the penalty also includes losing your draft pic IF the trangression is severe....The monetary loss is laughable ....losing a shot at a possible up and coming star could come back to bite you.....I know that the draft has the handle..'crapshoot' attached to it but sometimes the dice can come up a winner....GM'S do not like losing pic's ....that's a fact

I hear what you are saying about draft picks, but personally I don’t think it is a huge loss. If you are inclined to overspend and take the penalty, then you are better off paying for a known commodity in free agency rather than taking a flyer on a draft choice who may be a free agent by the time their draft potential starts to be met. At least that was the Brendan Tamen philosophy, one that I did not disagree with. Long term it is no way to build a club, sure, but in a world of one year contracts and quick re-builds, it wasn’t the worst idea, and paid off handsomely in a few cases where teams loaded up for a home Grey Cup. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 hours ago, Booch said:

He's a free agent after this yr...sign him then...and I bet it's a slam dunk he does...and costs us nothing in doing so

Sure would be nice to have him NOW....BUT you're probably right and the right move would be to wait.......Giving up Dobson and a first rounder is awful expensive....or another player of his caliber doesn't work for me

16 hours ago, DTonOB said:

They could do this fairly easily now by adapting how the nfl tracks them. (Hurries plus knockdowns plus sack plays) but that would also mean adapting the assist tackle / sack stat. Which would be a good thing imo. 
 Imo a stat with some flaws is better than no stat. It’d take a bit of time to get used to for trackers but in the end it’d be better than qbr is up here. 

42 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Sure would be nice to have him NOW....BUT you're probably right and the right move would be to wait.......Giving up Dobson and a first rounder is awful expensive....or another player of his caliber doesn't work for me

The right move this year isn’t to wait at all, not when they’ve essentially pushed all their chips in the middle. I think they’re going to be forced to wait either way since Hamilton isn’t going to give up a guy like Bennett but if they COULD get him, you have to give it a shot this year.

That being said, he also fits next year. I can’t see a situation where we aren’t replacing at least half of our starting DL next year and the cash we save by seeing Willie and/or Jeffcoat depart is easily spent on keeping Schoen and signing a guy like Bennett.

lots of tough decisions ahead for our front office, 2024 is going to be a wild year

21 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think Nevis would be an awsome stopgap for a year. Obviously rather have Moore.

I think the chance now of our DT’s being anyone but Thomas and rookies are slim to none. 

Walters blew his wad on a wide receiver which really wasn't an area of dire concern, while obvious deficiencies along the D-line remain unaddressed and in fact have gotten worse with the loss of Sayles.  Still time enough to shore up the D-line before the season begins, but leaving as is and expecting Ricky Walker to match Sayles performance sounds like a plan that will likely produce worse results.  

Edited by Fatty Liver

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

The right move this year isn’t to wait at all, not when they’ve essentially pushed all their chips in the middle. I think they’re going to be forced to wait either way since Hamilton isn’t going to give up a guy like Bennett but if they COULD get him, you have to give it a shot this year.

That being said, he also fits next year. I can’t see a situation where we aren’t replacing at least half of our starting DL next year and the cash we save by seeing Willie and/or Jeffcoat depart is easily spent on keeping Schoen and signing a guy like Bennett.

lots of tough decisions ahead for our front office, 2024 is going to be a wild year

Next year I see a Jeffcoat departure, (unless he plays 18 games and is a force then that muddies the water) because when healthy and ballin' is probably more of a going concern for offences than Willie...and we know come play-offs he elevates

Willie has tons of value beyond sexy stats and is still game planned against, and would be the one more willing to take the fair value hometown discount.

I see a Bennett free agent signing, especially with what I think will be a Kongbo return....so we would have  Willie/Kongbo/Bennett/Hansen/Rookie DE group 

That would be ideal especially for ratio reasons, and nationalized American aspect with Willie

14 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Walters blew his wad on a wide receiver which really wasn't an area of dire concern, while obvious deficiencies along the D-line remain unaddressed and in fact have gotten worse with the loss of Sayles.  Still time enough to shore up the D-line before the season begins, but leaving as is and expecting Ricky Walker to match Sayles performance sounds like a plan that will likely produce worse results.  

considering we got him for 260k this yr...less than several lesser talent receivers that is hardly blowing his wad....and yes it was a need...you add the best receiver to an already top group...you do it

D-line to me is not a concern as much as others bemoan it....Lawson will be our Canadian DT and will be just fine...with Fatboi having lesser reps this yr...yes we do need a DT but thats what camp is for, as well as value FA once dust settles and the big money is gone...We also have been pretty good at finding DT's (Bryant/Poop/Stove) so not overly concerned there....Willie...Healthy Jeffcoat....and Hansen right now gives us a good end rotation, so it's not like the cupboard is bare

I've read the stuff where Walters said their window is open and they want to win this year, but IMO, 2025 is the year I'm most concerned with. We're likely to be hosting the Cup that year, the key pieces (Osh and Collaros) signed through that year.... 2025 Cup at home is the cherry on this sundae we've been enjoying the last few years and, at least to me, that's the All In year.... 

Edited by Noeller

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've read the stuff where Walters said their window is open and they want to win this year, but IMO, 2025 is the year I'm most concerned with. We're likely to be hosting the Cup that year, the key pieces (Osh and Collaros) signed through that year.... 2025 Cup at home is the cherry on this sundae we've been enjoying the last few years and, at least to me, that's the All In year.... 

A crap ton of contracts expire at the end of this year, but I can say the same thing about last year and we did just fine.  We're going to look quite a bit different in 2025, I imagine.

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Next year I see a Jeffcoat departure, (unless he plays 18 games and is a force then that muddies the water) because when healthy and ballin' is probably more of a going concern for offences than Willie...and we know come play-offs he elevates

Willie has tons of value beyond sexy stats and is still game planned against, and would be the one more willing to take the fair value hometown discount.

I see a Bennett free agent signing, especially with what I think will be a Kongbo return....so we would have  Willie/Kongbo/Bennett/Hansen/Rookie DE group 

That would be ideal especially for ratio reasons, and nationalized American aspect with Willie

considering we got him for 260k this yr...less than several lesser talent receivers that is hardly blowing his wad....and yes it was a need...you add the best receiver to an already top group...you do it

D-line to me is not a concern as much as others bemoan it....Lawson will be our Canadian DT and will be just fine...with Fatboi having lesser reps this yr...yes we do need a DT but thats what camp is for, as well as value FA once dust settles and the big money is gone...We also have been pretty good at finding DT's (Bryant/Poop/Stove) so not overly concerned there....Willie...Healthy Jeffcoat....and Hansen right now gives us a good end rotation, so it's not like the cupboard is bare

Good business practice is spending money where you need to, not where you want to.  With Schoen coming back signing Lawler was a luxury attained at the cost of losing Bailey.  As of now, they have Rickie Walker and the return of Hansen they can bank on, everything else you mentioned is speculative.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Good business practice is spending money where you need to, not where you want to.  With Schoen coming back signing Lawler was a luxury attained at the cost of losing Bailey.  As of now, they have Rickie Walker and the return of Hansen they can bank on, everything else you mentioned is speculative.

Good business practice is spending money where it makes you better, not spending money on mediocre return at a position of need.

There wasn’t a single DT available worth signing, you can’t force it into reality. We’ll have to go a different route this year with that spot because the free agent route was not available.

15 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

yeah speculative tor 2024....2023 tho what I mentioned is as is right now...nothing speculative there, and Lawler sure is a luxury, but its a reload and augment move...Bailey isnt gone yet either, but if he is a group of Lawler, Schoen, Demski, Woli, and say Agudosi is better than a Schoen, Demski, Bailey, Woli and Agudosi group....

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Good business practice is spending money where it makes you better, not spending money on mediocre return at a position of need.

There wasn’t a single DT available worth signing, you can’t force it into reality. We’ll have to go a different route this year with that spot because the free agent route was not available.

and agreed....as it was there was no DT worthy of 200k plus money in FA, and we also don't know who they have coming to camp at DT either...maybe they feel they have that covered, and the smart money was to give ZC one the best game breaker wideouts....

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

This is an organization that once brought 17 DB's to camp to compete.  Who's saying they won't do a similar thing with D-Linemen?

which they just may, because if we broke camp with what we have right now...thats a solid group