2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hardrick??? He's 32 and playing some of his best football....

Ya But (thats a thing now) he's injured lots it seems and appears older than he is. Neufeld more so tho as we have guys to replace him. 

Peeps joke about Dan Clark.  Pat Neufeld is that guy. He is Dan Clark but as a bomber 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Mike said:

“he’s pretty good” isn’t exactly what I’m going for when we’re talking about the highest paid player in his position, but I wouldn’t even agree with that assessment, personally.

He was a step behind a ton of plays and as it was happening, everyone chalked it up to “well he’s just covering for other people so they’re using him differently” and to me, he just looked slow and a step behind. He was probably the most constant offender on our entire D when it came to whiffed arm tackles. He averaged 4 tackles a game and didn’t really contribute a whole lot else, which is not what I’m looking for from a top level MLB. Yes, I get he can drop back in coverage and give different looks, but so can a guy who can fly around a bit more and have a little more impact on the field. Part of me wonders if O’Shea sees a reflection of himself in Bighill, the decline in overall play has been very similar to what O’Shea saw when his time was coming to an end. 

Mike, realistically just who did he have playing in front of Bighill & Wilson stopping the run? We had no pressure from the interior of the DL on opposition qbs  nor did we have a true gap run stopper like we did in 2021. Biggie had his pass responsibilities & then had to step up to also stop the run. The guy was gassed & beat up by mid season. We didn't have Steve Richardson to take care of things in 2022. He caused a lot of havoc inside & with Jeffcoat & Jefferson, OLs had real problems blocking all 3.

I was hoping we'd address ou r biggest weakness on the team in free agency but we haven't so far. It's no coincidence there was a lot of injuries & sub par play at the linebacker & secondary positions. With no interior pass rush & the ability to stop the run the back end of any defense suffers. 

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You can  and do 'ya but' valid points and invalid points. Biased? From you? :lol:

Give it a rest. You just suck the life out of this place. 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Biggie looked done to me tho. Like does the non existing valid point defensive tackle make biggie look slower or miss more tackles or just generally be a step behind? At times last season I thought Biggie was done for good. 

Stopping the run is a physical thing. Sure MLB's are supposed to do that. But having someone like a Steve Richardson there helps Biggie. Takes a lot of chances for injuries away. if we solve out interior DL issues we;ll win another Grey Cup. If not, we could be runner ups again. Window of opportunity to win it all closes fast. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Stopping the run is a physical thing. Sure MLB's are supposed to do that. But having someone like a Steve Richardson there helps Biggie. Takes a lot of chances for injuries away. if we solve out interior DL issues we;ll win another Grey Cup. If not, we could be runner ups again. Window of opportunity to win it all closes fast. 

Don't think Sayles was the answer ...he definitely wasn't a Richardson...I think we still need a tough nose tackle .....which I believe is still on Walters agenda

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I believe he's been in the NFL already. I'm not sure that window is still open for him. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

106k Canadian....far cry from 160k....and his NFL window is non existent any more...that ship has long sailed away.

What you or I think about his chances and what he thinks about his chances may not align. 

Also the absolute max the XFL  runs is 3 months and the CFL 6. 

Factor that into the salary 

Edited by Geebrr

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

What you or I think about his chances and what he thinks about his chances may not align. 

Also the absolute max the XFL  runs is 3 months and the CFL 6. 

Factor that into the salary 

the season is shorter yeah...then what...u not being paid.....and really as a player they dont look at that as any factor in it...they look at the $ per yr....that and only that

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It could be a difficult problem to solve with no money to do so, looks like any improvement may come down to prospects brought to camp.  I'm not convinced Ricky Walker can fill Sayles shoes.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Kyle Walter's presser was a pretty good listen.

He talked about how the Nationalized American rule didn't really play into how they are building the roster.

He mentioned they are going to bring in QBs to compete for the short yardage job. These are going to be a different group than what would be competing to be Zach's backup.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/02/14/kyle-walters-february-14-2023/

Dammit wrong thread

Edited by WinnipegGordo

On 2023-02-14 at 12:37 PM, Geebrr said:

At that price tag he damn well better. Don’t you think, @DTonOB? That is DMOP cash for a six sack player + a subjective statistic  like “pressures”

Oh, at $240K (the highest for a defensive end) I think you're right that  people will expect big sacks and league awards.

I think consistently getting QB pressure is a better predictor of sacks than sacks themselves. Sacks are fickle.

We credited Orimolade with 10 sacks last season (including playoffs). 8 of those he beat his blocker(s) quickly--'Wins' as we label them. That was 2nd-best in the league. 

Shawn Lemon had 14 sacks, but we judged only 6 to be Wins. 6 of his were cleaning up someone else's work or Pursuit sacks (ie. QB gets flushed and he chases him a long distance). Wins are the ones I truly care about 

A huge part of why I would have paid Orimolade he'll be 27 at Grey Cup. The rest of the top-10 in QB pressures average 31 years old this season.

7 hours ago, DTonOB said:

Oh, at $240K (the highest for a defensive end) I think you're right that  people will expect big sacks and league awards.

I think consistently getting QB pressure is a better predictor of sacks than sacks themselves. Sacks are fickle.

We credited Orimolade with 10 sacks last season (including playoffs). 8 of those he beat his blocker(s) quickly--'Wins' as we label them. That was 2nd-best in the league. 

Shawn Lemon had 14 sacks, but we judged only 6 to be Wins. 6 of his were cleaning up someone else's work or Pursuit sacks (ie. QB gets flushed and he chases him a long distance). Wins are the ones I truly care about 

A huge part of why I would have paid Orimolade he'll be 27 at Grey Cup. The rest of the top-10 in QB pressures average 31 years old this season.

I agree that pressures are the better indicator, it just varies from one person to the next as to what a pressure is. 

Beating someone clean, sure we can usually pretty easily identify that. I think pressures may be a bit more nuanced to know what everybody’s duty on the play was. 

Or, if it is more simple- why isn’t it an official statistic?

FYI- I think Orimolade is a good player trending upwards. So, don’t take this as a devaluation of his ability. 

How is he against the run? His tackle numbers seem solid enough. 

Edited by Geebrr